11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MMORPG Connections

Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM

EvilDeed has much to be proud of
Question Frames Per Second- ?
Whats ur thoughts on this Stat? While playing WoW, i am now using a few addon's. And i noticed my frame rate when down, northrend tho also... But i unchecked that one thing, cant remember what its called.... But after uncheckin that, i have well over 100fps, topped at 180fps, when just chillin, movin around usually around 100fps.

But when it's checked and there is a Cap- it stays around 29-46, not so often at 60 fps.

I know my Rig can handle it lol... so whats ur thoughts, what do u get?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I don't play WOW, but considering that anything past 24 fps the human eye sees as fluid motion, much beyond 30 or 40 fps is pretty much wasted.

I game on consoles, and for most AAA titles framerate isn't much of an issue. Occasionally I have a game stutter for a frame or two if the screen is really crowded but it's not enough to destroy the experience.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDeed View Post
what do u get?
I don't play WoW.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM
I hate hippies

EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Quote:
Whats ur thoughts on this Stat? While playing WoW, i am now using a few addon's. And i noticed my frame rate when down, northrend tho also... But i unchecked that one thing, cant remember what its called.... But after uncheckin that, i have well over 100fps, topped at 180fps, when just chillin, movin around usually around 100fps.

But when it's checked and there is a Cap- it stays around 29-46, not so often at 60 fps.

I'm sorry, but... what are you asking? I don't play WoW, but please be more coherent.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Quote:

First off, please note what you are using (software/hardware).
Then proceed to tell us your pitch (I.E. Frame rates)
At this point, the thing you can't remember the name of, should be mentioned. Having the name would be a bonus.
Gather some screen-shots too, they are always useful. Try to keep them in context of the post (menu's, check-boxes, FPS meter etc).

And I'm afraid I can't blame your ignorance
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDeed
That sounds like V-sync, which is a physical cap on the monitor to prevent screen tearing. If you uncheck it and don't see screen tearing but do see a higher framerate then you don't need to turn it on, leave it off for faster speeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-sync

Quote:
I know my Rig can handle it lol...
If you are saying your rig can produce over 60 FPS constantly... that has yet to be proven. (You don't list your specs.) And even if it was the most uber system on the planet there still may be places in any game where framerate dips. Only a few review sites will correctly report game framerates in Maximum, Minimum, and Average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
I don't play WOW, but considering that anything past 24 fps the human eye sees as fluid motion, much beyond 30 or 40 fps is pretty much wasted.
A misconception. Past 24 is what is required to 'perceive believable motion'. The fact is that the human eye, depending on the eye, can "see" differences upwards to 150 FPS. The 'problem' comes in the fact that it takes a while for the brain to compare the images it is "seeing" to one another and discern a difference. Most people can't perceive a difference much over 60 FPS, some can see a difference up to 90 FPS, and only a few can see a difference beyond that. (A funny side note - some differences can be perceived incorrectly depending on the speed of the image. This is where the "pinwheel effect" comes from. (The effect where the wheels appear to be going backwards.))

However, it's all a fairly moot point as the vast majority of LCD monitors will cap at 60 FPS (the rating is basically your Hz rating.) Basically only HDTVs will go beyond that if you happen to have a 1080p screen certified at 120Hz. So, anything the computer is producing beyond 60 FPS is effectively wasted, in that an LCD screen can't produce more.

Quote:
I game on consoles, and for most AAA titles framerate isn't much of an issue.
That's because the developer knows with 100% certainty what the player is using in terms of hardware. The game is much more heavily optimized to have a steady framerate with console games compared to PC games which can dip and spike much more frequently.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
*votes the thread be moved back to general gaming or to hardware*
Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
As long as the game works, I can give a rat's ass what the framerate is.

"This game runs at 2000 fps, has bit-pixelated anit-aliasing and mip-map interpolation!"

"Yeah, but is it fun to play?"

"Huh?"
Old 02-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast

PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
As long as the game works, I can give a rat's ass what the framerate is.

"This game runs at 2000 fps, has bit-pixelated anit-aliasing and mip-map interpolation!"

"Yeah, but is it fun to play?"

"Huh?"
LOL agreed, I dont check my framerate anymore either
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Enthusiast

I will sometimes, but usually only when it seems like I'm being gimped.

Like recently I haven't been able to play on my home system, so I had to play from an 'internet gaming center'. Why they feel a 6600 GT is enough to play current games is beyond me. Most of the time it was 'meh' framerate around 20-30, playable for WoW, but in one dungeon it plummeted to 'wtf my skills are taking forever to recycle' and I peeped it and it was down in the single digits.