11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA News and Announcements

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Soyle-sama is a jewel in the community Soyle-sama is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
I've been playing SFIV for a bit now and have been satisfied with the controls. With some practice, they become second nature. Although I imagine the arcade stick might offer a bit more refinement, I'm with you in that I just don't see myself spending that kind of money just so I can control one game.

I know what you mean. When I got Ace Combat 6, I bought the set online that came with the flight stick. It was great fun, but only for Ace Combat 6. And has pretty much been a waste of space ever since I beat it. So I agree that buying a special controller/joystick/etc for one game really only takes up more room in your entertainment center eventually. And I don't have room to spare ^_^

-edit Sorry for 5 day necro of this thread. Not sure how you guys view that around here
Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokemeister View Post
Just out of interest, how "satisfied" are you with the controls?

I used to play SFII religiously in the arcades with a couple of friends (and beat them regularly!). One of them bought the game and arcade stick and I guess I'm just not happy about the idea of losing to him because he had the cash to splash on a better controller instead of losing to him because he was better than me.

I know - sad.
I have the same win percentage with a console controller as I do in the arcade. Around 50%. I'm definitely not competition material, but I like to have fun with fighting games. SFIV is fun, win or lose.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 AM

Zacko is community member of note
Not a HUGE fan of fighting games. Put it into an MMO, and I'll be fine...Wait....Dragonica anyone? xD
Old 07-15-2009, 06:11 AM

dagamdagee is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to dagamdagee Send a message via MSN to dagamdagee
I just participated in a Street Fighter IV tourney in South Dakota. If the genre is alive and well here, it's in pretty good shape. If anyone pays attention to Street Fighter and EVO, they know that it's a religion and it'll probably live on for a hundred years. Maybe.

Just like the Ghosts.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 AM

PimpMethod has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to PimpMethod
With Blaz blue: Calamity Trigger out now the fighting genre should get bigger now

http://pwned.com/PimpMethod/
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
[quote=mykalgaidin;106933]Before I begin: I loved Killer Instinct. Rare needs to stop dicking around with pinatas and Perfect Dark and make a freakin' Killer Instinct sequel already.

I agree. I miss KI. Especially the insane over-the-top Ultra combos. Nothing spells "visceral overkill" quite like those.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 AM

Pathologick has much to be proud of
I personally never played many (old or new) fighting games, but I don't think there will be a revival, just a rising and falling, perhaps.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:43 PM

Nikolete is community member of note
I think that games like this need to come in moderation because of the lack of diversity. I have never been the one able to memorize back back up A B right left down triangle bumper bumper two three four two two one back-flip.

I do however it is strong genre because I know a lot of people obsessed with this genre.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:35 AM

CalebG has much to be proud of
Fighting gamers has always been catering to a niche crowd, though getting popular to a certain degree due to certain mechanics of game design or art direction. (For example, "button-mashiness" and blood n' gore.)

Here in Asia, before SF4 which is now the big thing, it was Virtual Fighter 5, and prior to that, 4. And the never ending King of Fighters series which just got a new addition this month.

To address the KI and SF "conflict" in the earlier posts, there has always been two camps of fighting games in the genre. The technical fighter who prefers games like SF and VF, and the combo-orientated fighter who prefers games like KoF and KI. It is pretty much about preference at the end of the day, some just like to get perfect timings off to chain long combos, others like to not only out-time their opponent, but to out-think them.

As you probably can tell, I fall in the later category by nature.

The VF series revolutionized itself on it's 4th incarnation, which made most call it a 'real-time chess game'! This in turn pushed it into a very small niche, where new players would almost always get frustrated at how they can't seem to pull off anything more then the basic 'punch-punch-kick' combo, and how their much more skilled opponent can avoid the kick and counter them.

In SF4, the level of strategy and tact required is not as great as that of VF4 due to various reasons. However, the core rules are still the same, where timing of attacks, knowledge on attack priorities and playing with your opponent's mind are just some of the more focused elements. And with the move from SF3 back to SF2, it brought the series back to a more balanced ratio of tact and skill which made it a little more accessible to new players.

Is the fighting genre coming back to party? Nope, it has always been in the corner, with it's small circle of friends, chillin'.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
But it is trying some new moves out, even some that you weren't expecting to be good but were in a strange way. There's the DOA series with the tie in to Ninja Gaiden, Mortal Kombat vs. DC (never would have thought that possible really), Super Smash Bros. (yes I consider this a hybrid fighter) with it's mixed cast of some off the wall characters you'd NEVER expect to see in a brawler (Snake?! Is that you?).

So it's obvious they can grow and branch. So, meh, I can see myself agreeing to a certain extent about the niche crowd appeal, but why limit the game's potential like that when it can be (and in some cases have been) so much more?