11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA News and Announcements

Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
I tried playing a few fighting games again last year, and just couldn't get back into them. They where a nice distraction when I was a kid, but I honestly just can't get back into playing them anymore, they just don't offer the same escape they used too.
Don't know about you, but for me they still provide that escape, especially SF4, which returns to the old "I've got next" mentality of the arcades where we all probably first played this genre. And instead of just any random guy who'd come in and mop the floor with you, you can filter your challengers to be at the same skill level as you. You can even be issued challenges in the middle of Arcade Mode. Granted, you don't have the side-by-side interaction of the arcade, but neither do you have the "your challenger hasn't bathed in a month and smells like he is carrying a box of rotting beef in his backpack" ambiance that characterized the arcades of my youth. And I can play in my underwear, a plus for any game.

You're welcome for the visual.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Don't know about you, but for me they still provide that escape, especially SF4, which returns to the old "I've got next" mentality of the arcades where we all probably first played this genre. And instead of just any random guy who'd come in and mop the floor with you, you can filter your challengers to be at the same skill level as you. You can even be issued challenges in the middle of Arcade Mode. Granted, you don't have the side-by-side interaction of the arcade, but neither do you have the "your challenger hasn't bathed in a month and smells like he is carrying a box of rotting beef in his backpack" ambiance that characterized the arcades of my youth. And I can play in my underwear, a plus for any game.

You're welcome for the visual.
You bother with underwear? Well, I suppose if my ears are cold I would.
I did try recently to get back into the genre, but the more I play, the more I realise that I just don't enjoy them the same. Same for the wrestling games, just can't get into them. Its a pain at house parties where everyone decides to pull out the console and put on some racing/fighting games... I tend to just sit in a corner and get drunk.

Thankfully, no-one I know has gotten bitten by the Guitar Hero bug.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
I tend to just sit in a corner and get drunk.
I thought that was the point of parties.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 AM

WillyFourEyes has much to be proud of
As a proud owner of all three games (SFIV, SSFII Remix, and SCIV), I'm compelled to say that the fighting game genre was never dead...it was just sleeping.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Quote:
I thought that was the point of parties.
That, play console games and ogle any available women that attend.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 AM

Blazek has much to be proud of
It does seem like fighting games are coming back into mainstream, tho I have been playin SF3 for the past year since my friend got me into it. Also it never really did die, if you check youtube you can find EVO gameplay videos of SF3 like crazy. In a way im kinda disappointed with the return to SF2 style they did for SF4, i think the parry system was brilliant and added a level of skill that can change the match entirely (search justin vs daigo on youtube). That being said the focus attack does help change the flow of battle at times.

But on the topic of fighting games comming back, dont forget another Tekken and King of Fighters are on the way aswell. Seems like everyone that has a fighting game is tryin to make an appearence again.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:11 PM

jokemeister has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops40k View Post
Overall, I think the fact that the fighting game genre went down a peg or 2 is causing this resuection of the genre. Less games are coming out for it than they used to, but the ones that are coming out are only the ones that would be viewed as high quality before. We're not getting so much crap weighing it down, like Tobal No. 1.
Basically, I agree with that quote 100%. I don't think the fighter genre ever really died. All that happened is that the dross went away leaving only the quality stuff.

Having said that, I don't have, nor do I intend to buy SFIV desite loving SFII back in the old arcade days. The problem is that I'm just not happy with the gamepad as a control mechanism and I'm too cheap to buy an arcade stick. This just leaves me with the sad option of looking on wistfully as my richer friends buy and enjoy SFIV.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokemeister View Post
Basically, I agree with that quote 100%. I don't think the fighter genre ever really died. All that happened is that the dross went away leaving only the quality stuff.

Having said that, I don't have, nor do I intend to buy SFIV desite loving SFII back in the old arcade days. The problem is that I'm just not happy with the gamepad as a control mechanism and I'm too cheap to buy an arcade stick. This just leaves me with the sad option of looking on wistfully as my richer friends buy and enjoy SFIV.
I've been playing SFIV for a bit now and have been satisfied with the controls. With some practice, they become second nature. Although I imagine the arcade stick might offer a bit more refinement, I'm with you in that I just don't see myself spending that kind of money just so I can control one game.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 AM

jokemeister has much to be proud of
Quote:
I've been playing SFIV for a bit now and have been satisfied with the controls. With some practice, they become second nature. Although I imagine the arcade stick might offer a bit more refinement, I'm with you in that I just don't see myself spending that kind of money just so I can control one game.
Just out of interest, how "satisfied" are you with the controls?

I used to play SFII religiously in the arcades with a couple of friends (and beat them regularly!). One of them bought the game and arcade stick and I guess I'm just not happy about the idea of losing to him because he had the cash to splash on a better controller instead of losing to him because he was better than me.

I know - sad.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM

MajinK has much to be proud of
I think fighting games might make a comeback not a major one but a comeback none the less. The Super Smash Bros series helped bring new players into the fighting genre. Street Fighter 4 brought back the old players. Imo the revival of a classic game like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 a game that millions of people wasted paychecks on in the arcade will be the final foot in the door that the fighting genre needs.