11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!


Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion


Post Reply
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 AM
mykalgaidin's Avatar
mykalgaidin mykalgaidin is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,774
mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
Actually there ARE restirctions on games MA15+ says it is not ALLOWED to sell to people under the age of 15 (yay for birthdays!) unless an adualt or guardian is present. On the other hand the thing that annoys me is little kids who go up to a MA15 game and go mummy can i have this! Then she buys it while the clerk is sitting there telling her bad idea its really violent but she won't belive him and buys it. Yeah its all the industries fault of course when theres a gaint poster saying the ratings on games.
My apologies, Mishy. I sometimes forget that there is a world outside the borders of the US.

What do you think of your government's defacto banning of games deemed to "mature" for the MA15+ rating? I need to read up on Australia's Constitution (isn't Australia technically part of the UK? I think I read somewhere that Elizabeth II is technically your ruler, at least on paper. I know, I'm a typical uninformed Yank. ) so I can converse intelligently on free speech matters in your country. Mostly conversant in our own.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
SeriousCap2142's Avatar
SeriousCap2142 SeriousCap2142 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2
SeriousCap2142 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SeriousCap2142
Thumbs up Where are the parents??


This is the same stuff they have tried with TV, and music. It all needs to come back to parents to hold them accountable for their childrens actions. Maybe the government should start the program that requires each parent to have a "Parent License". Sort of like a "Drivers License".
__________________

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW+
MOBO: Intel DX38BT Extreme Series
Graphics Card: Geforce 8800 GTS
CASE: Thermaltake SopranoRS
Keyboard: Logitech S510
Mouse: Logitech MX600
CPU: E8400 Dual Core
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HD: 1TB
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Dvader83's Avatar
Dvader83 Dvader83 is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Executor, Flagship of the Imperial Fleet
Posts: 2,727
Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I agree with the fact that parents need to learn what the rating system means and make an informed decision on what games to purchase for their kids. Until that happens, things everywhere will get worse before they get better.

Then there's the oddball double standard that the US has when it comes to censorship for television, games and movies. They can show any level of violence and the censors react with a "meh," but show any form of nudity or potential sex scene and the reaction is "you can't show things like that in our entertainment."
__________________
Oderint Dum Metuant

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 AM
mykalgaidin's Avatar
mykalgaidin mykalgaidin is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,774
mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvader83 View Post
I agree with the fact that parents need to learn what the rating system means and make an informed decision on what games to purchase for their kids. Until that happens, things everywhere will get worse before they get better.

Then there's the oddball double standard that the US has when it comes to censorship for television, games and movies. They can show any level of violence and the censors react with a "meh," but show any form of nudity or potential sex scene and the reaction is "you can't show things like that in our entertainment."
True, but games seem to be held to a higher standard for some reason. Look at the outcry over games like Manhunt (1 & 2), Grand Theft Auto and Fallout 3. Then look at the lack of outcry over games like Lesiure Suit Larry:Magna Cum Laude, The Guy Game, BMXXX, all of which contain gratuitous female nudity.

I'm not saying there needs to be an outcry, just pointing something out.

Plus, the level of violence in games is comparable to shows like CSI or Dexter, neither of which shy away from depictions of dismembered bodies or sprays of blood.

One interesting thing to note from the court's decision: they said that the complainants offered no proof (through the studies presented) that there is a causal link between consumption of violent media and violent behavior (their main argument for the implementation of the law), and that the studies had admitted problems with their methodology. Quite telling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
nalestom's Avatar
nalestom nalestom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina, United States of America
Posts: 9
nalestom has much to be proud of
I believe that the government of all nations (as well as the citizens, too!) just need something to blame all the violence in schools and on the streets on. School shooting, you say? Of course, since the kid has played a violent video game before, that's definitely the reason he killed 4-5 people. Never mind his social status at the school, how he was treated by peers and teachers alike, his grades, don't consider any of it. According to society, video games kill.

Hold on just a minute...if anything, violence in video games actually help reduce violence, don't they? If you're feeling the need to kill a few people (for whatever reason) go play Call of Duty or Fallout. Video games seem to release pent-up emotions and should actually reduce violence.

Of course, I do understand the feeling that parent's don't want their children to experience violence, but if that's true, you might as well unplug your TV, because everything except for Noggin is going to have some version of violence in it. Yes, even the cartoons.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
mykalgaidin's Avatar
mykalgaidin mykalgaidin is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,774
mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
On a side note, Gamepolitics just put up this article about He Who Must Not Be Named (But Can Be Disbarred)'s taking his case to the Supreme Court. Thoughts?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
PimpMethod's Avatar
PimpMethod PimpMethod is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lyons,Ga
Posts: 78
PimpMethod has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to PimpMethod
The supreme court got better things to do then to lising to this furit cake.
__________________


http://pwned.com/PimpMethod/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Wordup95's Avatar
Wordup95 Wordup95 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eastern United States
Posts: 126
Wordup95 has much to be proud of
While I realize that the parents are the ones that need to make the decisions, it does fall on the child too. Mature does not mean a certain age, it means how you act, and if a parent believes their child is mature enough to handle violence in games, then wouldn't it be okay to let a child play the game? While the judgment isn't always right, that does not mean that the judgment is always wrong.

Then again, I could just be another 13 year old that thinks too much and wants to defend his case. Excuse me, I'm gonna go play some F.E.A.R., Call of Duty, Counter Strike, and Team Fortress 2, because my parents don't lack common sense and judgment
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 AM
mykalgaidin's Avatar
mykalgaidin mykalgaidin is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,774
mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordup95 View Post
While I realize that the parents are the ones that need to make the decisions, it does fall on the child too. Mature does not mean a certain age, it means how you act, and if a parent believes their child is mature enough to handle violence in games, then wouldn't it be okay to let a child play the game? While the judgment isn't always right, that does not mean that the judgment is always wrong.

Then again, I could just be another 13 year old that thinks too much and wants to defend his case. Excuse me, I'm gonna go play some F.E.A.R., Call of Duty, Counter Strike, and Team Fortress 2, because my parents don't lack common sense and judgment
Unfortunately from a legal standpoint, until a child is either 18 or legally emancipated, their parent or legal guardian is responsible for their behavior. From a moral standpoint I am all for personal responsibility and owning one's mistakes, but we live in a land of law, and the law must be followed.

But personal responsibility does not absolve a parent from their task of guiding their children into being mature adults. A moral compass points the way. It is up to us to follow it or not.

@wordup. Impressive. You can play all those games at the same time? My hat is off to you, sir.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Wordup95's Avatar
Wordup95 Wordup95 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eastern United States
Posts: 126
Wordup95 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Unfortunately from a legal standpoint, until a child is either 18 or legally emancipated, their parent or legal guardian is responsible for their behavior. From a moral standpoint I am all for personal responsibility and owning one's mistakes, but we live in a land of law, and the law must be followed.

But personal responsibility does not absolve a parent from their task of guiding their children into being mature adults. A moral compass points the way. It is up to us to follow it or not.

@wordup. Impressive. You can play all those games at the same time? My hat is off to you, sir.
If that were fully true, If I committed murder (You all know I wouldnt, it's an example) then my parents would get sent to jail. Would that happen? no, I would get sent to juvenile hall, just like every other law-breaking kid. While I can see your point, it isnt 100% true.

And I wish I could play all of them at once. Get scared in FEAR while simultaneously backstabbing a sniper in TF2, headshotting a mic spammer in CS, and whatever the last one was...
__________________
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off