11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Gaming legislation
Read this earlier and was very pleased that the 9th Circuit Court upheld California's attempt to legislate game sales unconstitutional. Still trying to figure out when legislators are going to get it through their skulls that video games are a protected form of speech, no different than movies, music, newspapers or public speeches. I know that they're doing it "for the children" but that's BS. It's up to parents to teach their children the difference between right and wrong, fantasy and reality.

What are your thoughts on this continuing problem? Is it going to get worse before it gets better? Will people like Leland Yee and Jack Thompson ever be able to pull their heads from their asses and take a look at how the world actually works?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Is it going to get worse before it gets better? Will people like Jack Thompson ever be able to pull their heads from their asses and take a look at how the world actually works?
Nope, I think he's pretty much stuck in there.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:07 AM
Enthusiast

Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Read this earlier and was very pleased that the 9th Circuit Court upheld California's attempt to legislate game sales unconstitutional. Still trying to figure out when legislators are going to get it through their skulls that video games are a protected form of speech, no different than movies, music, newspapers or public speeches. I know that they're doing it "for the children" but that's BS. It's up to parents to teach their children the difference between right and wrong, fantasy and reality.
It's interesting to note that the article states that there's an 80% enforcement rate with the current sales restrictions in California. I am usually carded when buying a game rated "M," or you are as you're usually with me. We are both well over the legal drinking age and are still asked for our IDs. The salespeople always sound slightly apologetic about it, but I have no problem with it. 1) For my vanity - can't help it. 2) It's their jobs and I think it's great they are doing their jobs.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezmyn View Post
It's interesting to note that the article states that there's an 80% enforcement rate with the current sales restrictions in California. I am usually carded when buying a game rated "M," or you are as you're usually with me. We are both well over the legal drinking age and are still asked for our IDs. The salespeople always sound slightly apologetic about it, but I have no problem with it. 1) For my vanity - can't help it. 2) It's their jobs and I think it's great they are doing their jobs.
There are no legal age restrictions on game purchases. That was the point of the law, which was ruled unconstitutional. Every single attempt to legislate game sales via ratings enforcement has failed. Miserably. Plus, the 80% figure quoted is nationwide, meaning the gaming industry has better enforcement of voluntary ratings than any other medium.

I do appreciate the effort put in by our local gaming shops, even though there is no way I could pass for a minor. I'm 6'4" and look like my avatar (see below).
Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 AM
Enthusiast

Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
There are no legal age restrictions on game purchases. That was the point of the law, which was ruled unconstitutional. Every single attempt to legislate game sales via ratings enforcement has failed. Miserably. Plus, the 80% figure quoted is nationwide, meaning the gaming industry has better enforcement of voluntary ratings than any other medium.

I do appreciate the effort put in by our local gaming shops, even though there is no way I could pass for a minor. I'm 6'4" and look like my avatar (see below).
Oops, I missed the nationwide part. I did know the enforcement by gaming vendors is voluntary, though. I think that's one major reason I am happy to follow along with it. They are voluntarily agreeing to supporting the ESRB, which for all its' faults, still is how games are rated in the first place.

But, that will most likely lead into another discussion... whether or not you like the ESRB, the vendors are doing what they feel necessary, on their own. That is the way it should be.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Savant

Regarding the ESRB, I think the major hurdle is informing the public (read: dipshit parents too lazy to actually read up on what their kids are wanting to play) about what the ratings mean.

Read an interesting op-ed piece in Official Playstation Magazine's (it's former, not current incarnation) awhile back that advocated changing the ESRB ratings to be more in line with MPAA ratings for movies. The MPAA system has been hammered into people's skulls for years, and when parents see an "R" they know what it means and can plan their entertainment accordingly. Perhaps parents would be more at ease if they saw an "R" on that copy of GTAIV instead of an "M".
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Enthusiast

This reminds me...

Is that about the level you think most parents are at?
Last edited by Jezmyn : 02-22-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezmyn View Post
This reminds me...

Is that about the level you think most parents are at?
Some obvious exceptions aside, yes.

Not through choice (at least most of them, anyways) but through simple ignorance. Say my kid comes up to me and requests a new game. I know, because of the time I've put into looking at games, that a simple search on a gaming website would give me everything I would need to make an informed choice. Not all adults have my level of knowledge, but there are some great resources out there. This site was put together by some former editors at 1up as a source for parents to see the content in games their kids play.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:27 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Some obvious exceptions aside, yes.

Not through choice (at least most of them, anyways) but through simple ignorance. Say my kid comes up to me and requests a new game. I know, because of the time I've put into looking at games, that a simple search on a gaming website would give me everything I would need to make an informed choice. Not all adults have my level of knowledge, but there are some great resources out there. This site was put together by some former editors at 1up as a source for parents to see the content in games their kids play.

I see your point. Especially where it comes to Birdiegirl, even if she doesn't post. She and her hubby are extremely vigilant where it comes to their kids and games, movies, etc.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Actually there ARE restirctions on games MA15+ says it is not ALLOWED to sell to people under the age of 15 (yay for birthdays!) unless an adualt or guardian is present. On the other hand the thing that annoys me is little kids who go up to a MA15 game and go mummy can i have this! Then she buys it while the clerk is sitting there telling her bad idea its really violent but she won't belive him and buys it. Yeah its all the industries fault of course when theres a gaint poster saying the ratings on games.