11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by koji042 View Post
I think it's going to be cross-platform.
What I meant was that since they already have an engine in place, they don't have to do as much work since the framework is done. Sure they have to tweak and optimize it for each platform (PS3 and 360), but at least the base of the work is done.

If that's not how development works, please correct me. xD
Since EA bought out Bioware recently they have stated that Mass Effect 2 would be cross-platform.

The problem is that the original engine was optimized for the 360, and the PS3 is a completely different beast. Making the engine work on the PS3 without using some kind of middleware (Unreal Engine 3 or the like) that will work on both systems will take up a fair amount of time. I'm guessing that Bioware will be able (through EA) bring in some new people familiar with the Cell to improve their development cycle time.

Personally, I'll be getting the 360 version, just so I can import my save game from ME1.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Since EA bought out Bioware recently they have stated that Mass Effect 2 would be cross-platform.

The problem is that the original engine was optimized for the 360, and the PS3 is a completely different beast. Making the engine work on the PS3 without using some kind of middleware (Unreal Engine 3 or the like) that will work on both systems will take up a fair amount of time. I'm guessing that Bioware will be able (through EA) bring in some new people familiar with the Cell to improve their development cycle time.

Personally, I'll be getting the 360 version, just so I can import my save game from ME1.
ME's engine was based on the Unreal 3 Engine though wasn't it?

Still, you make a good point about porting the engine to the PS3. usually, something's lost in translation since they could be too lazy to optimize the code (resulting in a buggy game). But since this is Bioware (and a somewhat reformed EA), hopefully this isn't the case.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by koji042 View Post
ME's engine was based on the Unreal 3 Engine though wasn't it?

Still, you make a good point about porting the engine to the PS3. usually, something's lost in translation since they could be too lazy to optimize the code (resulting in a buggy game). But since this is Bioware (and a somewhat reformed EA), hopefully this isn't the case.
You were right about the UE3 connection. I didn't know that. That makes me hopeful that the game will come out sometime in 2010, seeing as porting it to the PS3 won't take near as much time as if they'd used a custom engine. Although I would appreciate it if Bioware managed to optimize the texture loading a bit. Didn't detract from the game, but it was an annoyance.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
Just finished Mass Effect a few minutes ago and I'm just a bit curious, why did Sovereign's shield go down when you defeat his Saren combined avatar? Did he actually implant his primary "body" into Saren?

Also, did you kill the Council or save them?

Otherwise, t'was the most epic game I've played since MGS4.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Savant

I did several playthroughs (am working on Insanity mode now), so I've done both.

The destruction of Saren's body (implanted with Sovereign's control and manipulation mechanisms) might have disrupted Sovereign's systems enough for the shields to be brought down. It's a possibility, at any rate.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Saren was killed then revived by Soverigen. Consider it the 'avatar' of sovereign. Because you kill his avatar his systems taht controlled Saren etc would have been disrupted or temporarally disabled hence why it was destroyed. I've done both endings on Insanity, before i forget i laugh at how the admiral dude who inspects the Normandy says she won't last in a fire fight etc but it takes out Saren with a killing blow = P

Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Savant

I think that admiral was just pissed that funding was diverted from one of his pet projects. The Normandy has more than proved itself as a part of the Alliance fleet, and as what can come if humanity actually works with the other Citadel races instead of against them.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I wanted to put a Radioactive Round in him when i saw him

Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
I've done both endings on Insanity, before i forget i laugh at how the admiral dude who inspects the Normandy says she won't last in a fire fight etc but it takes out Saren with a killing blow = P
I think you meant to say that the Normandy took out Sovreign with a killing blow, not Saren. Unless you played some alternate universe version of ME that I did not.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Guru

whoops sorry mah badz i meant sovereign not Saren >_______<