11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community
For all the ladies
Since this is basically the first major exposure I've had to other gamer girls, I'm curious. What kinds of experiences have you had being a girl? Have they been different than our guy friends?

For myself, I was simply ecstatic when I found a game store where the employees stopped asking me what kinds of games my boyfriend/husband/son(?!) was into and started asking me what I liked. Or if I was really sure that I wanted a game that had so much blood in it...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
In game stores (PC and tabletop/comics), I haven't been singled out as "the female." Usually, they'll either ask me if I need help, I say no, and they go their merry way or I ask for a specific title that usually sparks a conversation about the game. Where I have been singled out is the anime section of movie stores. No. No...I don't want to watch Peach Girl. No, I'm not looking for Sailor Moon. It floors the guys when I say that I'm looking for vol. X of Berserk or that I want to replace my old VHS of Ninja Scroll.

Back when I first started playing online in MUDS, I got hit on a lot by the menfolk...which is just odd since the only thing to differentiate my character from theirs was that little "F" under the gender description. But, they did. After awhile, I started playing either male or neuter characters simply to avoid having to turn down offers of cyber all the time. When I moved on to graphical online games, I had that happen a few times and, again, I played male avatars to avoid that. However, I now play female avatars all the time and I never get hit on, anymore. I think that is because now that MMOs have been out long enough, people always assume that any character is played by a male, regardless of the avatar's gender. Hah! I can has virtual boobies again!

The other thing I always hear about is people saying that if you play a female avatar that people will give you things because they think you are a girl and are trying to be nice/chivalrous/think you're all soft and wussy. I've never had that happen! Not once has a stranger offered to just give me stuff. Well, I take that back. I did have one person give me some nice bags in WoW when I was a newbie playing on a PvP server. But, I think that was more "being nice to the newbie" than "being nice to the girl." (I was playing undead...an ugly, droopy, jawless undead. I doubt he was thinking, "Oh. That's hawt.")
Old 02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
HAH! Thats soooo funny-, a jawless undead! That rocks!

Yeah, I would have to agree- many ppl think that since I was rockin the sephiroth avatar that automatically I'm a "smelly, hairy, boy." BUT, had they read through and saw a few of my activities, such as "why does PWI not let me match my armor? A girl likes to color coordinate on the same lvl at all times" post, they might have realized that um, nope its a GIRL-

As for the getting hit on part- nah... doesnt really happen so much cause most gamers just assume that ima boy playin a girls role, so it makes things in-game more fun and I like to play the mysterious part- Some ppl will ask though, "are u MorF?" and i say neither- im an elf- hehehehehe

One thing that I have noticed though is no matter what kinda girl gamer you are, boys always assume your some kinda goth or somewhat of a "different" girl to be into games . Especially ones that are not bubbly and mostly Wii-like. I have news for them, EVEN HOT GIRLS like to hack and slash the crap out of stinky boy chars!!!

I think I see jaws drop all the time when I play games around guys too- They expect me to have to ask them how the controller works ; me standin 5' 7" ish, Korean, and pretty much tiny, wearing a suit with glasses, carryin a Luis Vitton bag throws them off (the style is a work thing, sry). When I went to the CON last yr, we had an XBox set up with all kinds of games and some of the younger boys laughed when I stepped up to the controller- needless to say, I made a few really mad when they realized they got beat by a girl!

I guess girls are making progress in the gaming community though- We are just a little behind the curve cause we are a small niche-, but the boys better watch out, cause with girls that actually know a little about gaming, a good example of this is TYPO if she chimes in, the girls a gaming encyclopedia on quite a few games, we will mix our compulsive side into our gaming, and slowly but surely outplay any boy in any game that intrests us!! heheheheheh (not to hurt all the boys feelings, but most girls pay WAY more attention to detail, and we look good doing it, which distracts most guys- cant say u havent lost focus on a game when the girl next to ya is hot and bouncing with the character on the screen *giggle*)

Anyways, just my two cents!

Kaimera-
Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Ok. I am not, for obvious reasons, a girl gamer, but I am happily and fortunately married to one. For me, a woman playing a game is not unexpected or even slightly shocking. These days I'm almost surprised when a woman isn't playing games.

As far as most guys assuming that everyone they meet online is a guy, I think it has, at least in part, something to do with the anonymous nature of the internet. When faced with someone that you can't see, hear, or interact with in any way other than through a keyboard or controller, you are lacking specific identifying markers that we associate with everyone we see or meet. In the absence of these markers, your brain tries it's best to fill in those missing markers with ones that it knows the best: it's own. Therefore, when you have no way to adequately identify an anonymous person, your brain fills in the missing pieces with your own identity.

Either that, or most guys are sexist pigs.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Enthusiast

Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community Jezmyn is a cornerstone of the community
Most guys are sexist pigs, dear.

@Arislyn, I thankfully haven't had the same experience with anime, at least not because I'm female. Mostly because I'm into "cartoons." The horror!!

@Kaimera, wow. I'm not sure what exactly to say other than, you rock! I can just see how bouncing up and down could turn a match into our favor. I'll even admit to doing just that as a distraction. Ok,ok, I didn't mean for it to be, I just got into the game and distracting him was just a bonus.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Boobies....

What was I saying? Sorry, I was in my happy place.

You know what they say: all's fair in love and deathmatches.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Hehe! I adore cartoons, as well. (Probably part of the reason why I like playing Fusion Fall.) All I can say is, thank goodness my 3 yr old loves the classics. I get to watch old Tom & Jerry cartoons with him every day after he gets home from daycare. Now, if I can just get him hooked on Bugs Bunny, we'll be set!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Savant

Wabbit season!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
*stalks around looking for some Gamer Girl blood*

Don't mind me! just stalking also do i fall under sexist pigs?

Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Savant

Maybe undead sexist pigs...