11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

colliny2k is a jewel in the community colliny2k is a jewel in the community
Battlefield 2 / 2142 - What's next? What would you want?
Okay,
So I loved both Battlefield 2 and it's sister Battlefield 2142. I don't really consider Battlefield: Bad Company to be comparable in nature...but what I am awaiting whatever the next true Battlefield is. I don't believe I've heard of any news regarding the next one, is there any?

Anyways, I thought the push from BF2 to 2142 was awesome...I mean, who doesn't love the future (and particularly Mechs?). It was a different game, but equally fun with a decent number of good improvements and slightly different gameplay.

What do you all look forward to seeing in the next Battlefield? More futuristic settings like in 2142? A jump back to the more modern style? What type of improvements?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
I'd personally be more than content with a remake of Battlefield Vietnam - I really, really loved that game and I think it was wholly unappreciated.

I would also love if the new Battlefield game would be something along the lines of "Battlefield: Eras" which just aggregates multiple Battlefield games under the Frostbite engine (so 3 vietnam maps, 3 ww2 maps, 3 modern maps, 3 future maps, etc.)
Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

RedLynk is a jewel in the community RedLynk is a jewel in the community
I agree with Imran on his points. I didn't even think about those until he mentioned 'em, lol. I'd love to see another modern Battlefield, though.

On a side note: The new Battlefield 1943 seems to be a step in the right direction while also being a giant step in the wrong direction. The new engine allows for destructible environments which add even more realism and possibilities to the series, but with regenerative health, unlimited ammo, 24 player-cap, 3 classes (no more medics or heavy weapons), and as of right now only 3 maps... Doesn't seem to deliver what is expected of a Battlefield game. At least it's going to be reasonably priced for what you get, around $15 - $20. Either way, I'll probably give it a shot even though they've taken some of the tactical elements out which made me fall in love with the series in the first place.

Oh, and I wish they'd make the next serious Battlefield game with a player-cap of at least 100. Back before BF2 there was a little treasure called Joint Ops and I tell ya, those were some huge epic battles.

- RedLynk
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

I like how you bring up the 100 player cap. Being the last was 62. I think that as technology allows and grows, the bigger they are able to make the caps and maps...the more epic it'll get. They've made great progress throughout the years and while I don't think they'll be able to make the caps too much larger yet, I can see the future holding some amazing battles with 100s of people in a single game.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
I'm personally looking forward to Battlefield Heroes.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Heroes being free, that's the game I look most forward to as well.

I only ever played the Wake Island demo of the original game, never bought the full game for some reason.
(Probably already playing UT, then UT2 in both versions, which eventually added the vehicles I thought were so cool about Battlefield.)
Since that I didn't feel much pull from any Battlefield game.

Again, being free, being something different, I'll try Heroes at least, and perhaps another Battlefield game if people nearby play it and are really positive about it.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, just thought of something that would be a great add to the game. Movable objects (other than vehicles). This could allow for makeshift hiding spots and defenses. I'm a big sniper fan so that would be a really nice add to the game for me.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 AM
gamerDNA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLynk View Post
I agree with Imran on his points. I didn't even think about those until he mentioned 'em, lol. I'd love to see another modern Battlefield, though.

On a side note: The new Battlefield 1943 seems to be a step in the right direction while also being a giant step in the wrong direction. The new engine allows for destructible environments which add even more realism and possibilities to the series, but with regenerative health, unlimited ammo, 24 player-cap, 3 classes (no more medics or heavy weapons), and as of right now only 3 maps... Doesn't seem to deliver what is expected of a Battlefield game. At least it's going to be reasonably priced for what you get, around $15 - $20. Either way, I'll probably give it a shot even though they've taken some of the tactical elements out which made me fall in love with the series in the first place.

Oh, and I wish they'd make the next serious Battlefield game with a player-cap of at least 100. Back before BF2 there was a little treasure called Joint Ops and I tell ya, those were some huge epic battles.

- RedLynk
Dude! I totally loved Joint Ops - to me it was the perfect balance between realism and arcade fun - particularly when it came to sniping. I totally loved the idea of adjusting bullet trajectories to wind patterns and the like - so awesome!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliny2k View Post
Okay, just thought of something that would be a great add to the game. Movable objects (other than vehicles). This could allow for makeshift hiding spots and defenses. I'm a big sniper fan so that would be a really nice add to the game for me.
That would be cool - If you play a mod for BF2, Project reality, they have a neat feature that allows you to build sandbags - totally dug it.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:08 AM

BlackEagleUK has much to be proud of
I Love the Battlefield series, have them all, even though wasn't a great fan of BF2142.

Looking forward to BF1943 and Heroes (trying to get on beta at the moment!), also interested to see the Bad Company 2 game on the PC, was annoying the first one wasn't on PC but when I get around to getting PS3 I guess I'll get that as well!

Project Reality is a great mod, need to reinstall that actually!