11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Music Games

Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 AM

WalterMondale is community member of note
My favorite genres of music aren't based upon the most musically talented artists. Thus stuff i'd like to play in RB/GH wouldn't fit well because they aren't technically difficult usually.

I want more punk, all varieties, except shit made past 1995 pretending to be punk. Stooges, Rocket from the Tombs, Misfits, Sex Pistols, Clash, Joy Division, Buzzcocks, Fugazi, maybe even get into the punk bands turned New Wave: Television, Misson of Burma, etc.

I also want some post-rock. Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Silver Mt. Zion, Explosions in the Sky, Mono.

Then random stuff like Appleseed Cast, 65daysofstatic, Amusement Parks on Fire, David Bowie, Dinosaur Jr.,Procol Harum, and the Biggest: Pavement.

If you don't know who 90% of these people are, don't be surprised.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I think more artists are going to follow 0(+>'s lead and not release their music for these games.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
I disagree. I mean if McCartney is on the wagon, that says something. There will always be some artists that are opposed to it for whatever reasons but I think the majority see it not only as another income stream, but an excellent way to expose their music to new audiences.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
That's part of his problem with it. He does not want to engage in shameless self-promotion in a way which encourages kids not to learn to actually play the guitar.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast

Not only is that completely wrong it is ignorant. These music games do encourage people to learn to play. There are reports like these (link below) and I have seen it and experienced it myself first hand. No you won't learn to play guitar from Rock Band but you will learn rhythm, learn to listen to music differently and most of all be inspired to actually learn to play a real guitar because you'll want to play it for real, not just clacking away on a plastic controller.

Singing will not help you train your voice properly but, again, it will help you with some of the nuances of timing and pitch, much better than just doing it by yourself in the shower anyways.

Now as for drums... THAT's another story. Games like Rock Band go beyond leaps and bounds to getting people started on the basics of playing the drums. My nephew for example, taught himself to play drums, Rock Band being a major factor in that, and he is now an effin sweet drummer and plays in a real band. The kid blows me away at how good of a drummer he is. It is absolutely amazing.

So that argument you mentioned is total BS imo. I think these games have done more for inspiring budding musicians than anything else. Look at our school systems. Here anyways arts and particularly music programs are being hacked and chopped away to extinction due to budget cuts. Games like RB are filling the void and doing a hell of a job too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...struments.html
Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Enthusiast

Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community Doctorzongo is a paragon of the community
Send a message via MSN to Doctorzongo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctorzongo
To the current topic, I don't know if it's encouraged or not to view yourself as a musical expert after playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band/whatever (I don't own any of these games, and I've only played Guitar Hero a couple of times), but it's incredibly irritating when someone does that. I know someone who is a huge Guitar Hero fan, and he considers it the same as a real guitar. He considers himself to be a masterful guitarist, as he has played through Guitar Hero on all difficulty levels. This makes me want to rewire his controller.

To the original topic:
Bananaphone.
The subjected discovered
That sadly the cake was a lie.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Enthusiast

bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Not only is that completely wrong it is ignorant. These music games do encourage people to learn to play. There are reports like these (link below) and I have seen it and experienced it myself first hand. No you won't learn to play guitar from Rock Band but you will learn rhythm, learn to listen to music differently and most of all be inspired to actually learn to play a real guitar because you'll want to play it for real, not just clacking away on a plastic controller.

Singing will not help you train your voice properly but, again, it will help you with some of the nuances of timing and pitch, much better than just doing it by yourself in the shower anyways.

Now as for drums... THAT's another story. Games like Rock Band go beyond leaps and bounds to getting people started on the basics of playing the drums. My nephew for example, taught himself to play drums, Rock Band being a major factor in that, and he is now an effin sweet drummer and plays in a real band. The kid blows me away at how good of a drummer he is. It is absolutely amazing.

So that argument you mentioned is total BS imo. I think these games have done more for inspiring budding musicians than anything else. Look at our school systems. Here anyways arts and particularly music programs are being hacked and chopped away to extinction due to budget cuts. Games like RB are filling the void and doing a hell of a job too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...struments.html
I agree, i love to listen to music and always have. I first got guitar hero 2 for the 360, and it got me interested in music in a way id never thought i could. I got rockband on the day it was released, and when i sat down to play the drums, that was the most fun i have had in a long long time. If i had the time, id consider taking either drumming lessons or guitar lessions. But at age 37, i guess im a little too late, so rockband is my release.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorzongo View Post
To the current topic, I don't know if it's encouraged or not to view yourself as a musical expert after playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band/whatever (I don't own any of these games, and I've only played Guitar Hero a couple of times), but it's incredibly irritating when someone does that. I know someone who is a huge Guitar Hero fan, and he considers it the same as a real guitar. He considers himself to be a masterful guitarist, as he has played through Guitar Hero on all difficulty levels. This makes me want to rewire his controller.

To the original topic:
Bananaphone.
Well then he's just an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaredwingsfan View Post
I agree, i love to listen to music and always have. I first got guitar hero 2 for the 360, and it got me interested in music in a way id never thought i could. I got rockband on the day it was released, and when i sat down to play the drums, that was the most fun i have had in a long long time. If i had the time, id consider taking either drumming lessons or guitar lessions. But at age 37, i guess im a little too late, so rockband is my release.
37 FTW! Sha'll be this summer.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorzongo View Post

To the original topic:
Bananaphone.
I believe that is exactly what the artist formerly known as 0(+> is objecting to and why we will not be seeing any of his songs in these games.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

Lol Prince has got a bad attitude about everything and anything. That's ok I can do without Little Red Corvette and Let's Get Crazy in my RB. What I would LOVE to see is:

Roundabout - Yes