11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Nintendo make a new 2D Metroid or stick with 3D?
2D FTW 4 66.67%
3D all the way 1 16.67%
What the hell is Metroid? 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
New 2D Metroid?
Since finishing up Order of Ecclesia, my thoughts turned (quite naturally) to the revered Nintendo franchise, Metroid. Although the Metroid Prime series has been excellent, we haven't seen a proper 2D Metroid game since the excellent Metroid: Zero Mission back on the GBA. So, do you think that Nintendo should release another 2D Metroid or should they stick with 3D?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
I voted for 3D. But it really depends on what they are making the game for.

I play mostly consoles, my handhelds don't get alot of use. As for the way metroid games play out, even though 3d is graphically possible on hanhelds now, it just doesn't really seem as comfortable on the little screen as the 2d ones. However, on consoles I would rather stick with the 3D. So being that the vast majority of gaming I do is on consoles I went with 3D.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
I really hope that Nintendo makes another 2D Metroid game for the DS. I haven't played any of the Metroid Prime games, but I absolutely loved playing Fusion and Zero Mission on my GBA.

3D is nice and all, but I think they should turn back to their roots every once in a while.

By the way, how long is Order of Ecclesia?
Old 02-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I can't vote, since the right option for me is missing.

Back in the day when 3D was new, suddenly everybody wanted to go 3D, and many games were unwisely forced into a 3D mold.
For instance the original Lemmings is great, but Lemmings 3D is pretty terrible from what I remember from the demo.

Of course now 3D games have matured and are what people expect to see.
2D games are barely even made any more, at least when you look at the games you buy boxed in physical stores.
I say there is still a market for 2D games.
Some of the 2D titles you can buy on XBLA, Steam, etc., are much more fun than some of the elaborate high value boxed titles.

I'm not talking about Metroid specifically, but in general really.
If a developer wants to make a 2D game, I say they should go for it.
That doesn't mean they should stop making 3D though.
Both can be good.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
If a developer wants to make a 2D game, I say they should go for it.
That doesn't mean they should stop making 3D though.
Both can be good.
Very good point, and one I should have considered when I wrote the questions. Personally, I love both 3D and 2D and will play either. With 2D gaming, when it's done right, there's a significant nostalgia factor for me. I grew up playing Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Metroid and the like. Playing 2D games today takes me back to that week I had chickenpox when I was 8 and beat a copy of Castlevania a friend let me borrow. I'm glad 3D is here, but at the same time it saddens me to see people write about 2D games as if they were a dying genre.

@koji042-
Order of Ecclesia is about the same length as Portrait of Ruin, but it is quite a bit harder. If you're a completionist (like me) than it could take you over 15 hours. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

Ysgrublaidd has set foot on a distinguished road
My vote goes to 2D.

I enjoyed the Metroid Prime games, but I liked Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Fusion and Zero Mission a little bit more.

Still, Metroid has done a better job in a 3D world then Castlevania. Castlevania 3D? No go... but a new 3D Metroid I would eventualy buy. And a 2D Metroid... I would buy quicker.