11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Old-School remakes...
I must admit I think about this question quite a bit, so I thought I'd put it out there for discussion.

What old-school games (16bit era or older) deserve a second chance via remake on a current-gen system?

Personally, I'd love to see a full-on remake of FFVI, with 3D graphics, fully voiced, done on the PS3. Partly because I think the younger gamers out there could benefit from playing one of the all-time JRPG classics in modern form, but mostly because Kefka is the most f'd up psycho villain ever and would love to see and hear him in full wack-job, spittle flicking, 3D glory.

Thoughts? What games would you want to see reborn for the current age of gaming?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
Good topic! I would want to see shining force re-done!!!! I wanna see it done in a more interactive setting with FF style graphics!

We were just talking about SF earlier in the forums so its the first thing that comes to mind.

Another one would have to be F-Zero with way better vehicles-

Just a thought!

Kaimera-
Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
M.U.L.E.
Ataxx

Why these haven't already been done and put on the console online networks is beyond me.

Tempest
Thief
X-Com
And of course Wing Commander series and the Mech Warrior series

I always thought the Legend of Kyrandia games were cool, but the licence likely died out when Westwood Studios closed.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
I want to see either a remake or sequel the Jet Force Gemeni brought to the 360. Blast Corps and good too.

One I would really like to see, though it would be a massive undertaking to make it do justice to the original is taking the original Zelda from the NES and realizing it into a full 3d world.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops40k View Post
One I would really like to see, though it would be a massive undertaking to make it do justice to the original is taking the original Zelda from the NES and realizing it into a full 3d world.
Didn't they already do that?

You're right, Jet Force Gemini on the 360 would be cool, but given Rare's track record recently, are you sure you want to see what they would do?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

Ysgrublaidd has set foot on a distinguished road
I'm still waiting for a great Duck Hunt remake. That would be sweet.

Also a 3D remake of Kid Icarus (or even better a new Kid Icarus).

A remake of Secret of Mana or Illusion of Time/Gaia could also be nice.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysgrublaidd View Post
Isn't there one already? That and Crossbow training?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Isn't there one already with the Wii gun? That and Crossbow training?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Savant

Quote:

Also a 3D remake of Kid Icarus (or even better a new Kid Icarus).

A remake of Secret of Mana or Illusion of Time/Gaia could also be nice.
Duck Hunt: There was an iPhone app, albeit briefly.

Kid Icarus: Nintendo teased us by including Pit in SSBB, now they better deliver! There was some Character Art revealed a while ago...

Secret of Mana: It seems that with each successive release in this series Squenix moves further and further from what made it so great. Legend of Mana was okay but the latest one on the PS2 just turned me off. I do agree on the Illusion of Gaia. That was a good game with some interesting ideas that should be revisited.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast

Ysgrublaidd has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t
Isn't there one already? That and Crossbow training?
The only thing I know is that there was a game in development for a Duck shooting simulation for the Wii. But I have never seen it. And Link's Crossbow training? It was nice... but nothing compared with good old Duck Hunt. I think it was because of the on rail gameplay... I didn't like that so much.
Furthermore there is a sort of shooting game in Wii Play. But looked more as a couple of mini-games glued together and only a little piece looked like Duck Hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Duck Hunt: There was an iPhone app, albeit briefly.
Duck Hunt on iPhone... I can't imagine me playing that.

Quote:
Kid Icarus: Nintendo teased us by including Pit in SSBB, now they better deliver! There was some Character Art revealed a while ago...
I know... so I have some hope.

Quote:
Secret of Mana: It seems that with each successive release in this series Squenix moves further and further from what made it so great. Legend of Mana was okay but the latest one on the PS2 just turned me off.
Secret of Mana 2 was already going the wrong way. Legend of Mana and the latest one have never been released in Europe... so I have never played them. Still want too thou. Terrible thing Square-Enix uses the Mana serie for testing new ideas instead of just use al the great things about Secret of Mana.

Quote:
I do agree on the Illusion of Gaia. That was a good game with some interesting ideas that should be revisited.
Well, there was a sort of sequal. Terranigma. That was a great game also. And the game Soul Blazer, that was before Illusion of Gaia, had the same nice touch. Why don't they make those nice games anymore?