11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!


Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure


Post Reply
Thread Tools
  #71  
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 AM
AwwHeck's Avatar
AwwHeck AwwHeck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 86
AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvader83 View Post
So, from a historic standpoint, a Flamberge was bascially a wave-bladed sword that was about the same size as a claymore.
historically maybe

but now prove a point by finding a proving reason why over half these unreally sized video games sword are called "Flameberges" by their game terms...

by chance do you notice the extra "e" inbetween flam and berge?

Flamberges arent Flameberges, despite similar spelling

Flamberges are, yes, as you describe but you are confusing them with "FlamEberges" of which i described above
trust me it's not sure where it's origins-of-useage came from but this is the proper term for what dowekeller calls a "big *** sword"
((you may not find any hard sources to back it, or any to disprove it, but over half the games with it call it as such...))

another term could be form LOZ: Giant's Knife or Bigoron Sword but even then both of those blades were claymores in comparison to size of width but handle and blade lengths were spot-on, even OOT's defensive stance was

and yeah the misconcept due to similar spelling is very very common...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
LoveChichi LoveChichi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
LoveChichi is a jewel in the community LoveChichi is a jewel in the community
my favorite RPG weapon: The Gunblade..
i heart Squall..
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Dvader83's Avatar
Dvader83 Dvader83 is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Executor, Flagship of the Imperial Fleet
Posts: 2,727
Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwHeck View Post
historically maybe

but now prove a point by finding a proving reason why over half these unreally sized video games sword are called "Flameberges" by their game terms...

by chance do you notice the extra "e" inbetween flam and berge?

Flamberges arent Flameberges, despite similar spelling

Flamberges are, yes, as you describe but you are confusing them with "FlamEberges" of which i described above
trust me it's not sure where it's origins-of-useage came from but this is the proper term for what dowekeller calls a "big *** sword"
((you may not find any hard sources to back it, or any to disprove it, but over half the games with it call it as such...))

another term could be form LOZ: Giant's Knife or Bigoron Sword but even then both of those blades were claymores in comparison to size of width but handle and blade lengths were spot-on, even OOT's defensive stance was

and yeah the misconcept due to similar spelling is very very common...
Yes I did notice the extra 'e' in the spelling. I originally thought you misspelled it without realizing it. However, the original reason I had posted my previous post was to correct your point that I was wrong about claymores. And, apparently, you're correct about there being "Flameberges" in games, but I don't know that I can prove why they are called that. IMO developers shouldn't call them by that name, since it's too close to "Flamberge" and therefore might confuse the players.
__________________
Oderint Dum Metuant

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 PM
AwwHeck's Avatar
AwwHeck AwwHeck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 86
AwwHeck is a jewel in the community AwwHeck is a jewel in the community
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvader83 View Post
Yes I did notice the extra 'e' in the spelling. I originally thought you misspelled it without realizing it. However, the original reason I had posted my previous post was to correct your point that I was wrong about claymores. And, apparently, you're correct about there being "Flameberges" in games, but I don't know that I can prove why they are called that. IMO developers shouldn't call them by that name, since it's too close to "Flamberge" and therefore might confuse the players.
The termis even, in msot voiceovers pronounced the exact same, not that that helps the matter of their misconcept

"Flameberge" should be pronounced either "Fl'ahm" or "Flame"(as in fire) then berge
vrs "fl-am" from the actual real one's name
((ie it's either said like spelt or it stresses the "a" in an "ah" sound))

and about above, y ea i get what you are getting at, i guess this burst was my fault for being 'inspecific' about my aim
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Khatsworth's Avatar
Khatsworth Khatsworth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 2
Khatsworth has much to be proud of
Although I have no named famous examples, my favorite RPG weapons (at least in the medieval-fantasy genre) are polearms. Bardiches and voulges (also known sometimes as lochaber axes) especially.

Sadly, I'm having a hard time finding games that feature them. I know I was pretty downed I couldn't have one in DAO for my warrior character. Or if there are any, haven't seen any yet.
Same with Oblivion.
Ah well, at least I can get my dose from Sacred 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaes View Post
dual-wielding a pair of kukri's always looks badass i think
I have to agree on this. Still have a DnD character who opts for dual-wielding 2 kukris.
Especially cool on an acrobatic character.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Roboto420's Avatar
Roboto420 Roboto420 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4
Roboto420 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalgaidin View Post
Cloud's Buster Sword. So iconic...
More than iconic... Legendary! =D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 AM
BennyOtaku BennyOtaku is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
BennyOtaku has much to be proud of
Honestly, i prefer bows over swords. Probably just reflecting the kind of character i like to play i guess. In terms of favourite bows, well i love most of the ones found in FFXII, and i also love the Hunting Bow that Reimi has in Star Ocean 4 xD
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 AM
DirtySammich's Avatar
DirtySammich DirtySammich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Californa
Posts: 6
DirtySammich has much to be proud of
honestly I love the experimental MIRV from fallout 3 just because the fatboy is cheap enough they added 7 other mini nukes to it
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 AM
GunAce4458's Avatar
GunAce4458 GunAce4458 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
GunAce4458 has much to be proud of
The shishkebab was my favorite weapon from fallout 3 and new vegas, I mean a flaming sword was awsome.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM
A1dzM4n's Avatar
A1dzM4n A1dzM4n is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 7
A1dzM4n has much to be proud of
Definitely the most Iconic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by typochondriac View Post
I completely agree with this statement.

My 2nd runner up would be the Master Sword,
but only because it's, well, the holy grail of RPG weaponry.

i totally agree with that statement! The master sword FTW all the way. Aside from the master sword because of it's obvious greatness and sheer dominance in the early and even current RPG genre world; my favorite RPG weapon would have to be the Jingwue Shock Sword from Fallout 3, combined with the chinese stealth suit and a stealth build of course! I, as well as a few of my friends refer to it as the jyggalag sword, which you may know is the sword you get in oblivion, from Jyggalag, the Daedric Prince Of Order!! simply because of the similar sounding pronunciation and silliness. I personally am a more ranged individual as i often play sniper and a rogue - esque arcane archer type mixture in just about every MMO or RPG of sorts, the Epic Peacekeeper in Torchlight with about 13 enchantments on it including the base 6 is AMAZING, and the Dragon breathe bow in Oblivion has quite a nice explosive kick. That is all.
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off