11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 PM

NateC87 has much to be proud of
Final Fantasy VII or VIII, I really can't choose between them. There's just so much to do in both games. I also really enjoyed the Kingdom Hearts games on the PS2.

Recently played Fallout 3, although it was quality, as an RPG it doesn't come close to the FF series.

FF is how it should be done in my opinion. Although I have only played since FF7, the games from then on have set the bar year after year.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Enthusiast

bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community bamaredwingsfan is a jewel in the community
Fallout 3 and MassEffect are a close 1 an 2 for me.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 AM

mokey91 has much to be proud of
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, follwed by Mass Effect, KOTOR & Neverwinter Nights.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Mysticlifex has much to be proud of
Fable, nuff said
Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Tigershard has much to be proud of
I'm glad this thread is "favourite" RPG and not "best", that would be a messy discussion

For PC, it is definitely Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. The only game I put more hours in to was WoW. Morrowind was a stunningly beautiful game for its time, and still looks good today with the right mods. I barely did any plot, just spent around 200 hours exploring and clearing out any dungeon I could for over 2 years. I nearly had the entire map revealed. I eventually went and finished Tribunal, very much enjoying the political intrigue. Sadly I lost my save games when my system died and have moved on. I plan to return to Morrowind one day though. I hear the howls of the werewolves in Bloodmoon calling me.

For console, Ar Tonelico captured my imagination and my heart. Every character in the game had a unique personality and the interaction between the characters was fun and believable. For those unfamiliar with the game, it is a turn-based J-RPG about a world that floats in the sky held up by a tower called Ar Tonelico. The magic users in the game are women that use songs to download magical power from the tower. In order to get stronger magic, you need to dive in to the psyche of the magic users and solve their personal problems and become closer to them. Some refer to it as a dating simulation, but it is so much more than that. With 7 different endings, 3 characters to dive in to, a fantastic soundtrack, great character designs and art direction, any anime and J-RPG fan should give this game a try.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM

mace990 has set foot on a distinguished road
I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Dark Eye: Drakensang.
Isn't it translated yet :O?
I love it but after the crash of my hard drive I just started to play again all my saves were lost
So new character made and now I'm playing again
It's a little bit like KotoR I think, I played KotoR II some time. The style is almost the same but more medival/fantasy
Just love it

On PS3 I play Oblivion I like it but not as much as I like Drakensang :P

Old 04-22-2009, 10:28 PM

snafu7 is community member of note
It's really hard to pick just one. I guess my favorite would have to be Oblivion, just based on how much time I've put into it. Fallout 3, Mass Effect, and KotOR aren't far behind though.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Agrona77 has much to be proud of
All time favorite? Oblivion hands down. I know Cyrodiil like the back of my hand. Vanilla Oblivion doesn't cut it though, you should play it with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. The Elder Scrolls have a huge modding community and therefore the games never really get old.

2nd fav I would say NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer
3rd fav NWN1 Hordes of the Underdark

and many, many more lol

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 AM

white-rabbit has much to be proud of
For me it's probably gotta be Neverwinter Nights, but it only wins by a nose hair thanks to its great modding tools.

My 2nd favorite would be Deus Ex, and yes, I consider it proper RPG

I loved the Baldur's Gate games, and Fallout 2 was a revelation. Haven't played Fallout 1 yet but I did get the combo pack on GOG.com so I'm definitely playing that one.

KotOR was great, but I couldn't get into KotOR2, though that probably had more to do with my schedule at the time, rather than the game.

I finished Morrowind but to be honest I didn't think it was that great, don't get me wrong - very good, but not great.
And as for Oblivion - well on one hand, to be honest, I just didn't give it a chance. On the other hand, if after playing for a few hours I still don't feel like give it a chance then maybe there's something wrong with the game.

I never could get into JRPGs, I find that kind of turn based combat extremely odd.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM

xerosbeat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
I generally hate picking games that are well-known, but I can't think of another RPG that got more replay from me than Chrono Trigger. They just don't make games like they used to.
Well I think that Chrono is THE RPG of all time so it should be played by anyone and everyone that has ever dabbled with the genre. Also addding something non Square Enix related, I would have to say Persona 2:Eternal Punishment, it just had so much to offer and is in my opinion the best protrayal of modern life in an rpg