11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!


Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge


Post Reply
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
EvilAerosolCan's Avatar
EvilAerosolCan EvilAerosolCan is offline
I hate hippies
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 1,610
EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness EvilAerosolCan is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
It makes perfect sense what Google did. I doubt Google pays hundreds of people to go through the millions/billions (however many) pictures and manually inspect each one. They probably have some kind of recognition software for faces and license plates. I'd bet the deer just got clipped, which would explain why it wound up on the opposite side of the road. If it didn't damage the vehicle much, the driver probably thought it would be better to not bring it up.

Also, a deer being hit by a car is not tragic.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Mumbo's Avatar
Mumbo Mumbo is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 148
Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
I don't see the big deal myself. It's a deer...they get hit by cars or shot, or eaten all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
I thought this company was supposed to go over their content and blot out faces ans such before making it live? How did this get past their 'quality assurance team'... or where they having a break at the time?
Do you really think that Google has people sitting in a room looking at every image that is taken to make sure it passes standards to be posted? They have automated programs that go through the images and blot out faces and other things that they aren't allowed to show. That's why some images have the KFC logo blotted out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Sensational's Avatar
Sensational Sensational is offline
Savant, but with a star!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden.
Posts: 3,186
Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
I'm with Hagan on this.
It makes no sense Google did what it did.
That's the thing though, it's probably automated. Or perhaps they only screened the first picture of the set. Or perhaps the guys just didn't give a shit because they had worse things to worry about, like which rifle to buy for when they go hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
It's not about the dead deer, it's about the death of the deer, about the deer dying.
Yes, and the carefactory started producing massive amounts of careboxes as soon as they heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
Why do you say he's exaggerating?
I'm pretty sure you don't know the deer, so you can't judge.
Sure I do, it's a deer. The difference beetween a deer and a stone is that the deer wants to have sex, and I'm pretty sure I "know" most of the stones on our planet. They roll when you push them, they fall when you drop them. Sure, a deer is a bit more complex than a stone, but nothing worth crying over in the same way that a plant is not worth crying over when it gets hit by a car.

I'm sure (Well, almost sure) that you wouldn't give a shit if a boat with a camera mounted on it hit some ugly fish and killed it. Even if google let it slip through their filters. And no, dolphins don't count, they're cute and help retarded children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
Not to mention the fact that this kind of thing is very subjective.
Everything is to someone, people deny facts because they've been told to believe in a guy who lives in the clouds, loves us all and takes us to eternity if all we do is follow his rules. Still, a deer? I never imagined that Hagan would be the type of guy to scream violently as Bambi dies.
__________________
100% Killer, 47% Achiever, 40% Explorer, 13% Socializer, 200% Awesome.
"BY THE WAY A THREAD , IT USE TO BE CALLED A SENTENCE ! "
Last edited by Sensational : 01-30-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2009, 12:33 AM
Maruso's Avatar
Maruso Maruso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 48
Maruso is a jewel in the community
It is quite upsetting to think they never bothered to check over the photos that were taken on that particular street due to what is found. Granted its not extremely graphic, but there are sensitive people who would be very disturbed by this and for the sake of keeping them from vomiting, crying, or anything of that nature, Google should be held completely responsible for whatever is being shown and made public on their behalf. </semi-rant>
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2009, 03:33 AM
QforQ's Avatar
QforQ QforQ is offline
GDNA Community Manager
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 889
QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
To clear up some things:

The deer did not die. The deer ran off before the police came after the accident.

The google employee did call the police and he called Google when it happened. Again, the deer ran off before the police came.
__________________
Sam Houston
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Mia Mia is offline
Must Be Evil
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,064
Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Semi-related:

gBust! Field of Pot Discovered via Google Earth

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15862...e_earth.htm l
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Hagan Hagan is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oldham, England, Earth
Posts: 1,859
Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Awesome, the deer isn't dead. Now it can grow up and become deer 20 steaks instead. Mmmm, i'm hungry now.

Still, that kind of makes this a little worse. Think about it, they knew about it and didn't bother removing it? Its lead to misunderstandings (like this thread) and a more wider outcry amongst the animal fanciers.

Mind you, I suppose it could be worse. I know of a few people who are planing to 'moon' the google car as it goes through Wigan... a crowd pleaser if ever I heard of one.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Mumbo's Avatar
Mumbo Mumbo is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 148
Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
A picture might be worth 1000 words, but it does still help to read the article.

"Well, no sooner had sharp-eyed netizens spotted this outrage and expressed their horror and disgust across cyberspace, than Google pulled the offending images."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2009, 02:43 AM
Retodon8's Avatar
Retodon8 Retodon8 is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Netherlands, NH
Posts: 1,323
Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
That's the thing though, it's probably automated.
The uploading and stuff like that, sure, maybe even the camera, but I'm pretty sure the car was driven by a person.
This person should have noticed (s)he hit a deer and made a note about it, and as QforQ mentioned, (s)he did.
Because of the reason Maruso mentioned, Google shouldn't have used those pictures.
I've seen a whole country go stupid over less (Janet Jackson nipple slip on live TV in the USA).
Something else that comes to mind is people openly (and stupidly) complaining about how the film "The Two Towers" was named after the then recently collapsed Twin Towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Sure I do, it's a deer. The difference beetween a deer and a stone is that the deer wants to have sex, and I'm pretty sure I "know" most of the stones on our planet. They roll when you push them, they fall when you drop them. Sure, a deer is a bit more complex than a stone, but nothing worth crying over in the same way that a plant is not worth crying over when it gets hit by a car.
Not sure where the stones come from, but what you do with them I wouldn't call "knowing".
After looking up the meaning of the word "tragedy" (not the play kind), I suppose it is a bit much, which means I hear lots of people use it when it's not really warranted.
When you talk about "crying over" though, I do hold my opinion.

Following your reasoning, I could argue that I know your mother, sister, girlfriend, or somebody else close, because I know how humans in general work.
I could argue they are a bit more complex than a deer, but nothing worth crying over if they got run over by a car.
At least the deer I've seen pictures of, discussed on a forum.
I may not know the deer, but at least I know of the deer.
I'm pretty sure if someone close to you died it would impact you a lot more.
Like I said, it's very subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
I'm sure (Well, almost sure) that you wouldn't give a shit if a boat with a camera mounted on it hit some ugly fish and killed it. Even if google let it slip through their filters. And no, dolphins don't count, they're cute and help retarded children.
I would've cared about that too.
I admit "complexity" does influence how much I care, but it's certainly not the only thing.
If my sister's dog died I would care a lot more than if it was some random person in the street.
I cared when the family pet rabbit died, even if it was just a rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Everything is to someone, people deny facts because they've been told to believe in a guy who lives in the clouds, loves us all and takes us to eternity if all we do is follow his rules.
Actually one thing that annoys me about some religious people is that they believe humans are not animals, but something completely different, better.
First of all, looking at it scientifically it is simply nonsense.
Secondly, if they reason being better somehow gives them some responsibility when it comes to animals, that's good, but some consider animals just tools to be used, worthless otherwise.

Just to be clear, if the deed would've died, I wouldn't have cried myself.
Sometimes I do tend to take a somewhat more extreme point of view than is typical of me, to illustrate my point.
Let's put it like this: I am glad there are groups of people caring enough for animal rights to actually do something about it on a greater scale, even if I personally don't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Sensational's Avatar
Sensational Sensational is offline
Savant, but with a star!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden.
Posts: 3,186
Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
Not sure where the stones come from, but what you do with them I wouldn't call "knowing".


Following your reasoning, I could argue that I know your mother, sister, girlfriend, or somebody else close, because I know how humans in general work.
I could argue they are a bit more complex than a deer, but nothing worth crying over if they got run over by a car.
Yes, you certainly could, and you'd be right on a grander scale. In the end we're just animals as well, but to us, other humans usually are worth crying over. And to some, deers are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
I would've cared about that too.
Very well, I'm not saying that you shouldn't, just that I don't and that most people are hypocrites when it comes to this issue. When Bambi dies they care, when a little insect gets stomped on they don't give a shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
Actually one thing that annoys me about some religious people is that they believe humans are not animals, but something completely different, better.
First of all, looking at it scientifically it is simply nonsense.
We are animals but also better. Using other animals for our purposes is a part of nature. It's not like the lion cares if the gazelle has to suffer while he sinks his teeth into it's neck. In the same way, it's not like we're actually trying to make animals suffer when we slaughter them (Well, most of us wouldn't), and while we are more complex, more intelligent, it would seem that caring about lesser animals is not part of our basic programming. I'd say it's more of a culture thing TBH.

I wouldn't qoute myself on that though, but most people I know of don't give a crap, and the ones who do do so because it's what they've been taught to believe in by their parents, some organization or their new boyfriend's militant vegan friends.
__________________
100% Killer, 47% Achiever, 40% Explorer, 13% Socializer, 200% Awesome.
"BY THE WAY A THREAD , IT USE TO BE CALLED A SENTENCE ! "
Last edited by QforQ : 02-02-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off