11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM

a-sociopath has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to a-sociopath
Thumbs down Judge compares Halo 3 to drugs...
I posted this in the news section, but felt the need to publish it here. The news feeds seem to move pretty quickly and wanted to get some more opinions about this.

Here's the article:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18561/...-as-Addictive/

In the wake of Daniel Petric executing his parents, a Judge ruled over his case suggested that "...the same physiological responses occur [while playing games] that occur in the ingestion of some drugs."

This judge is abusing his power, in my mind. He is drawing conclusions about a game without any evidence at all. Don't get me wrong, he is entitled to his opinion. I just think that when someone holds a public position, they should recognize the amount of responsibility it requires. Not only is he stating his opinion as fact, "The dopamine surge, the stimulation of the nucleus accumbens - the same as an addiction. Such that when you stop, your brain won't stand for it.", he is missing one of the bigger points of the case. It was made clear previously that Daniel never even played the game, he shot his parents for taking it away after he bought it without their permission. How can he be affected by the addictive nature of a game if he's never even played it?

Some of the public will read his statements, and give them much weight, solely because he's a judge. As if the people that are against the gaming culture needs more ammo.

I'm annoyed...
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

RedLynk is a jewel in the community RedLynk is a jewel in the community
Wha, I thought they weren't gonna let that "addicted to video games" thing fly... That's just silly.

- RedLynk
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Sandman3030 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sociopath View Post
... It was made clear previously that Daniel never even played the game, he shot his parents for taking it away after he bought it without their permission...
Actually accounting to the story he did play the game.

"In September 2007, Daniel Petric, who was 16 at that time, purchased a copy of Halo 3 against his father's orders. His parents caught him playing the game and took it away from him."

Link: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18424/...opy-of-Halo-3/

If like the judge saidDaniel could not tell that his parents were not going to come back after they were shot then he had some very serious metal issues. That would put in to question his all grasp of reality. I am sure there are other factors that we don't know about.

I do agree that judge did not get their facts right. However I don't see the judge abusing their power by stating that. It is the judges opinion of the matter. Judges give them at the ends of cases when end.

I would find it more damning to gamers and the gaming community of the defense had won. It would set up legal presidence for this defense to be used by anyone then.

It is true that some people may take is comments and put weight on them because he is a judge. But if that is the cause then they are not getting the full picture and then their base for an argument is flawed from the start.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM

a-sociopath has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to a-sociopath
Ah, I must have combined two stories. I recall reading from a few different stories at the time about this incident. I retract that particular statement, but I still feel as though the judge is overstepping his bounds a bit.

He is entitled to his own opinion on the matter. I do see your point that he is responsible for ruling out his decision and opinions as they relate to the case, but for him to state that games provide the same addictive reactions in human brains as drugs do is ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure he has not performed studies to back up his claims. I think he should have worded his statements differently, as some people do take things at face value without doing research. (They end up with their foot in their mouth, heh... read: me)

I do also agree that the kid is guilty as hell and should not have won the case. My main point of the original post was to illustrate my frustration with the judge using his bench to condemn violent games.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I agree that the judge should not have condemned games as being the cause of the killings. Making similar arguments that video games are corrupting the nations youth is what eventually led to Jack Thompson being disbarred. People offended by violent or other disagreeable content in video games have been trying to get games censored or banned since the days of Doom and Mortal Kombat. Where I see the failing in this and similar cases, is that the parents of the kid(s) that are going out and killing others are not looking out for the warning signs that there is something wrong before it's too late. Then when something like this happens, the first thing they or others blame are violent video games. Which then leads to attempts to censor or ban games, because obviously it wasn't the fault of the parents for not checking on their kid(s), so blame video games. Piece of advice, games do NOT makegood babysitters or social circles for kids that have neglectful parents.

Well I do believe I have gotten that large rant out of my system.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM

ontheroxorz has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to ontheroxorz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman3030 View Post
If like the judge saidDaniel could not tell that his parents were not going to come back after they were shot then he had some very serious metal issues. That would put in to question his all grasp of reality. I am sure there are other factors that we don't know about.

I do agree that judge did not get their facts right. However I don't see the judge abusing their power by stating that. It is the judges opinion of the matter. Judges give them at the ends of cases when end.
I would have to agree. If you read between the lines of what is going on, this family has had a history of unrest. My observation of this tragedy is that it was basically the last straw for a very disturbed and frustrated young man.

I think that these kinds of cases come about because people who aren't gamers have a great deal of difficulty understanding video games because, and let's be honest here, there is a significant time and financial investment that you must undertake most of the time to truly appreciate some of the games that are on the market today. This creates a barrier for understanding and what people don't understand, makes them scared. When people are scared, rationality goes out the window.

Also, on the subject of gaming addiction, I do believe that it exists much like an addiction to gambling, but it is much more rare than some of these lawyers and psychologists would lead you to believe. I'm not saying psychology has it entirely wrong, but the research done so far is very limited so the current data is skewed and biased.

Seeing articles like this makes me a bit angry in part because it is poor journalism, but mostly because they are basing their information on incomplete studies, so you really have to take it with a grain of salt.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
To be fair to the judge, video games do create the same chemical mental simulations release as certian drugs....but then again so does sex, music, and exercise...

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM

HardDominator has much to be proud of
i'm so happy i stopped playing halo 3 ... i was making a n00b of myself whilst playing it.. i hate the game so much that i will burn every copy i can get my hands on.. really