11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Arrow What should game companies do this year?
What do you think game companies should do this year? Or, alternatively, what would you like to see game companies do this year?

Your answer could be that maybe you want a game developer to change things up and do multiplayer in a different way...maybe a publisher should make more original IP games rather than sequels all the time..or perhaps you'd like to see a Genre change entirely? These are just a few examples, your answer can be whatever YOU want to see game companies do differently this year.

Discuss!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Hmmm, what would I 'Like' them to be doing?

Aside from the usual complaints (Make the games longer, harder, and with more long term playability (and cheaper)), not much. We're in a slump at the moment, and the whole 'hard work' to 'money' equation keeps creeping into my thoughts on the matter.

*Sups Irn Bru*

Ideally, I would like to see an end to the constant repeats of sports games... seriously. Tiger Woods is now past his prime, and so are his damn golf games. Football games should finally die (get a ball, go outside and play the beautiful game as it was intended, damnit), but not football manager games (they count as management games, and you do have to use your brain somewhat).

Ideally I'd like someone to buy up the IP for old games like Syndicate, and revamp the game. Greater management of the game, and the company, outside of the combat suite. I'd like to make bids on up-coming technology, be outbid, then assign a combat squad to go steal it, blow up the opponents research complex, find the little sod who out-bid me, and bring him back for 'persuasion'.
I'd like to bribe other companies personnel, local government officials, rebels, and other such persons. I want to be able to rule the earth as a god or saint, or bring the world to its knee's under my boot heel. I'd like a game with dozens, if not hundreds of different opponents/factions to defeat one way or another. I want multi-player. I want to be able to save multi-player games to be played over days/weeks/months.
Basically, I want a hybrid game. Several game types integrated into one glorious game. And only 1 difficulty setting "Kiss your arse goodbye".

Of course, I'm being quite specific here, and no company will ever do something so ambitious. But its what I'd like to see.

To be honest, what I'd realistically like to see is the good companies covering their backsides so they don't get eaten up by this recession, whilst others get bought up (if they have the talent but not the money to survive) or sent straight to financial purgatory (no talent, no money, no clue, no great loss).

I'd like to see more thought put into the games & expansions being produced. I mean, WoW: WotLK... same crap, different weather? 10 extra player levels to do what exactly? A new class thats different, how? Lets face it, an MMO expansion is just a black hole for you to vounterilly dump your cash into... the very least they could do is give you something fresh to do asside from more scenery and a new boss to farm?

I'd like to see more "Sandbox Games", or single player games with the ability to create "player generated content". Yup, MOD communities, they are the future (Garlic bread, its the future, I've tasted it.) of the games industry in some ways. If a developer isn't willing to create more content for a game, then they shoud release the tools to those who are willing to put the effort in. And for free (or at least bundle the tools and manals with the game. Not everyone can afford to download 100+ mb of tools).
Basically, I'd like more companies to ask "If will build it, will you MOD?" to the games community BEFORE the games release... so they know if its worth bothering with, rather than wait till months after its out.

Less WW1-2 games. Dunno why this is so important, but the whole genre of WW2 FPS games just grates a nerve or two. Why rehash this point in history so much? Each game pretty much ends the same, the allies "WIN" (sorry if I just spoiled the endings for you all). Now, if they created a game where the Axis powers win (or CAN win), and alter the planets history (spawning a new line of games where you get to play Reich overlords or Rebellion/Resistence factions in a bid to end the 1000 year reich... I'd be interested).

I guess what I'm asking for here is "Less of the same old sh*t, but with better graphics" because its familiar and less scary/risky, and more new/daring/diffent behaviour. Now is the time for companies to really make their mark and shine, not when everyone is in a better position to compete.
I'm asking for the impossible, I'm asking for "Bravery in the face of the Unknown and Uncertain Future".
And I'm talking out my backside... so if you read all that, sorry
Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
I'd like for them to stop releasing horrible WoW clones. There's obviously no real profit to be made unless you can actually deliver a game that can match WoW's quality.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
I think i'd probably agree with hagen, at least the first half of his post that I actually read... short attention span for the mofo lose.

anyway, i'd like to see;
more games so original that you forget it's the same genre you've been playing for years and feel's inovative (personal example rpg: fallout3, fps: cod4) and more original ip's.

no more WW' games, seriously, there getting really old now, get over it.

and for any game, regardless of genre, how about a server browser that works and doesn't take all day to refresh, and dare I say it, in built friends features, I shouldn't have to close my game just to join someone off xfire, build it into your game lol!

and finally not related to game companies, but regardless;
less shitty browser game clones, one is generally enough.

wow, that was a long rant/post
Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 AM

Darkiius has much to be proud of
I'd like to see rpg's based on something new and vibrantly different. Turn based, action based I'm not fussed. There needs to be more of these - more QUALITY and less CRAP. Seriously.

"I'd like to see more thought put into the games & expansions being produced. I mean, WoW: WotLK... same crap, different weather? 10 extra player levels to do what exactly? A new class thats different, how? Lets face it, an MMO expansion is just a black hole for you to vounterilly dump your cash into... the very least they could do is give you something fresh to do asside from more scenery and a new boss to farm?" - Hagan

I cannot agree with you more there. I cannot believe the tripe some gaming developers are producing simply to state they are bringing out a game. It's about time that they started listening to us for once instead of being like tv channels and showing whatever crap is apparently "new and fresh".
Old 01-25-2009, 05:13 AM

Shaggy500 has much to be proud of
I think they should be working on the problems with there products and make more quik sit down games in stead of giant core games.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Less WoW clones (make it better damn it and free!), no more WW games i meant come on its been done how many times? Make games with mods taht should have been in the game first palce (like Texians Windows Lighting Mod for Oblivion should have been in - game not a mod) and make all the games %0$ and games off the itnernet 25$ xD

Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 PM

PimpMethod has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to PimpMethod
More games that mix other game types like Fallout3. It had FPS (not really a true FPS style) in with a RPG style. More DLC come out like on Ace Combat 6, and Test Drive Unlimited that had content out thought out the year. A mix of free and pay for DLC

http://pwned.com/PimpMethod/
Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I really want to see more cross-platform stuff, in the widest sense.

I suppose I should start by mentioning Live Anywhere, announced ages ago, though still nowhere to be seen.

I've seen a World of Warcraft client for mobile platforms mentioned on Twitter before.
Not the fully fledged game engine of course, but something that lets you preview in-game mail, see what you have stored in the bank, participate in auctions, check your character stats, and so on.

Then there are Fable II and the Fable II Pub Games.
The former a boxed action adventure game, the latter a collection of simple XBLA games in which you can earn virtual money to use in Fable II proper.

A more basic game tie-in is with Gears of War and Gears of War 2.
Having unlocked certain Achievements in the original, unlocks extra player characters to use in multiplayer GOW2.
As long as the content unlocked is not something that is practically required to play the game, it's a nice bonus for long time fans.
I think Bionic Commando Rearmed and Bionic Commando do something similar.

Then there is this mythological "real life" game that can be tied into games.
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise lets you scan cards of animals on the official website and other media using the Xbox Live Vision camera.
Scanned animals then appear in your garden.
Even though enabling content that is already on the disc is controversial, since the cards are basically free, I consider this a neat extra.
(Of course you do need to buy (or borrow) the camera to be able to use this.)

Also, unrelated to the above, but more in line with gDNA, I'd love to see games allow for more player customization.
I like to give my in-game characters some clear identity, to show other players (or even just myself in single player games) a little bit of my personality.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 AM

ethereal-wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiius View Post
I'd like to see rpg's based on something new and vibrantly different. Turn based, action based I'm not fussed. There needs to be more of these - more QUALITY and less CRAP. Seriously.

"I'd like to see more thought put into the games & expansions being produced. I mean, WoW: WotLK... same crap, different weather? 10 extra player levels to do what exactly? A new class thats different, how? Lets face it, an MMO expansion is just a black hole for you to vounterilly dump your cash into... the very least they could do is give you something fresh to do asside from more scenery and a new boss to farm?" - Hagan

I cannot agree with you more there. I cannot believe the tripe some gaming developers are producing simply to state they are bringing out a game. It's about time that they started listening to us for once instead of being like tv channels and showing whatever crap is apparently "new and fresh".
ahh but you know why the studios keep churning out the same crap? because consumers are dumb enough to spend money on it. how i miss the 90s, the golden age of computer gaming. kids these days are too focused on pretty graphics and have forgotten that compelling story and deep gameplay are where true gratification lies. put a gen Y 18-20 year old in front of Planescape: Torment, their eyes will roll back in their head.