11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Fighting Games

Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Formula1 has much to be proud of
Smash Bros vs 2d FIghters vs 3d Fighters vs DBZ
THis is something that has been in my head for a While about how all these fighters are so different, Why some are more Successful then others, while also understanding why some are still Played

SMash Bros
-Simple yet Stays Awesome
-Can Be played by anyone, yet stays
-I think Melee Did it Best by including L canceling and a mix of Both Floaty and non-floaty physics
-It gets Boring after a while because of Stun and the way everything feels preset.

2d Fighters
-Combos and Slower combat, More of a Chess game/Twitch Reactions
-Gets Pretty frustrating For me sice theres a big learning curve
-I like Mortal Kombat the best since They're hilarious about it but I like the characters from street fighter.
-I'm not a fan of Button Combonations and the way fighters are organized since I never get things right

3d fighters
-More Realistic/Less Uber Moves
-Many 3d fighters include a rather stupid combo involving Ducking and Punching Multiple times, then kicking. Also Learning Curve is Steep
-Big Boobs is common in 3d fighters......

DBZ
-Fast Paced and Filled With Minigames
-Melee Combat feels more like an add on then a focus.
-Love teleporting
-Budokai 3 was my favorite DBZ Game

Overall, I believe I like Smash Bros More then anything else, However, I hardly believe that ought to be the Future of the gaming world.
-I believe in many ways that Realistic fighting has its benefits, while also Adding in elements of The Retartadly Awesome.

However, simplicity in my eyes is a Good thing....

Also... What About Terrain?

I also get the Impression that DBZ might have done it right in some ways, however, it may also be a little out of line since Everything feels like an addon in a lot of ways

And I hate the Way Things go With street fighter in terms of the air and Combos. However I love the Art style

In general I feel like I'm forced to Love smash bros as the best, but I hate the way the stuns and general spammyness works out....

So..........
2d Fighter in Capcom Style Graphics
Smash Bros Button Style
Smash Bros Styled Physics
-Character Type-Directional Influence, Speed, Inherited Speed (Amount of ground speed that turns into Air Speed), Weight, Size, # of Jumps, Glide?, friction, Full Jump Height, Short Jump Height, second/other Jump heights
-Character Attacks-Range, Power, Beggining lag, Ending Lag, Damage, Duration
-Character Specials-???
-Character Super-
DBZ esque Ki Gauge-Special Attacks waste Ki but give you a 1 up
DBZ styled Supers-Every Super is a Minigame where the enemy can compete. (Smash bros Kind of did this, but I think gave too much power to player with the Super)

As for the Stun System
-for each Quick attack, +2 Stun
-For Each Stronger attack +5 Stun
-For each Stun, you must press the button that amount of times to break out... This allows combos as well as combo breaks

The general Theme of the game would be Little kids pretending
-If they could shoot out electricity, fire, Love, etc

Also Move Canceling which just involves pressing Block
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
I think because of its insanely and cute action, Smash Bros owns all for now, but once they actually throw out a well made DBZ game then god help them.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 PM

saltine has much to be proud of
Smash is the best because its fairly easy to get into and your friends can be competive quick.
2d games are bit harder to get in to.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community CthulhuDreams is a paragon of the community
Smash. it's more liner then the 3d fighters and faster then the 2D fighters. You also don't have to worry about botton combonations just what each botton does.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I'll throw down in any fighter except Mortal Kumquat. Despise that series, mostly for the formulaic approach to the fighting, the increasingly insane and palette-swapped characters, the Dial-A-Combo, ugh. No thanks.

I like the Virtua Fighter for its intricate and precise approach to fighting. Smash Bros. does over-the-top action like nobody else, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is insane (in a very good way), Soul Calibur is the best weapon-based 3D fighter out there.

One I don't see mentioned a lot, mostly because it hasn't been released yet, is Dissidia: Final Fantasy. If you have a PSP and are in the least bit a Final Fantasy fan, go download the demo. Now.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM

CaptainKrys has much to be proud of
Smash Bros are amazing and beat most of 2D and 3D fighters.
However, I love me some Virtua Fighter and Samurai Shodown. The latter especially is incredibly colourful with diversified characters and not-to-annoying combos. Love it!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Roxas-UrBoxas has much to be proud of
I love fighting games that take an 'out of the box' approach. Smash Brothers and Dissidia/Dissidia 012 are key examples of fighting games that took a huge risk (initially) showing you that not all fighting games are the same and you can be original by not simply just having your standard life bar and combos.

I typically hate fighting games... Matter o' fact MvC3 was the only thing that held my attention long enough in your general fighting game sense. Compare my 20 hours of MvC3 to my 600 hours in Dissidia, and my 500 hours in Dissidia 012 though...

A serious shame that the creators have Dissidia have confirmed that the next installment will not be a fighting game.