11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Racing and Simulation

Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Recommend Me a Racing Game
My husband has expressed interest in possibly getting a racing game for Christmas. He hasn't said that he wants anything in particular, just that a "good racing game might be fun." So, I come to you in hopes of getting a feel for what may be good.

Realism is unimportant to him. He'd much rather just pick up where he left off if he crashes than have to start the whole race over. Flashy crashes and cool physics are a definite plus in his eyes. Getting to do city races or cross-country is far better than a simple, loop racetrack.

Do you guys have anything that you would recommend? I'd be looking for something for the PC.
Last edited by arislyn : 10-27-2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: I r speel gud
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Not sure how many people would agree with me, but the only racing game I've ever been interested in is Need For Speed: Most Wanted. The 'heat' mechanic (in which you build up negative rep with the police for doing various unsavoury acts, like totalling a police car or smashing into signposts) gives an extra dimension to the game; it plays out like a frenetic mix between story-driven plot and crazy mindless action. You can either try to keep building the heat and getting achievements, or you can play it safe and hide in your house for a while, or take the time to jazz up your car(s) in the garage.

At any stage you can choose to deviate from your current mission. Say for example that you're in a race. In the very earliest races you're unlikely to encounter police, but as the game goes on and the races get harder, police are more and more likely to interfere. At the point where they jump in, you can either focus just on winning the race and evading the police, or you can divert your attention completely to pissing the cops off by ramming them, destroying property, etc. Both paths are valid - you rack up points and achievements and unlock special features by becoming more notorious - and you can always restart races if you get too carried away with creating mayhem.

The game overall has three levels or paths to it. One is racing. There are straight races for cash or upgrades that you can jump into all over the game world. The second is the blacklist. The blacklist is a list of 15(?) street racers whom you have to defeat sequentially in order to become the 'most wanted' - it's the story part of the game. A blacklist race is a major affair that usually sees you winning a car or a major upgrade if you succeed.

The third is the heat mechanic, which revolves around you basically wrecking the game world as much as possible, whilst evading the police - a careful balancing act of trying not to total your own car whilst keeping them on your tail for as long as possible (the longer chases go on for, the more points you get), and destroying a decent amount of their vehicles whilst leaving enough to keep chasing you. This mechanic provides more of a sandbox feel to the game - there's no particular end to it, and you can engage in it (or not) to your heart's content. It gets pretty nutty with huge armoured jeeps and helicopters if you push it far enough.

It's a very well-rounded game, with fantastic art style, a slick finish and a smooth overall experience (I didn't encounter any bugs at all), playable with a controller on the PC or with the keyboard if you don't have a controller. Great for gritty action, tense chases and reckless fun.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Need for Speed would be a great game if he is looking for more of an arcade type racing game.

If he is looking for something that offers up a greater focus on crashes and racing to take out the other cars, then I would suggest something from the Burnout series. Burnout: Revenge is out for the PC now, although it's not going to be out on the pc in time for Christmas Burnout: Paradise would probably be something that I think he would really enjoy. These games put a much greater focus on crashing cars and taking out other cars. It has a specific game mode where you try to crash you car into traffic and cause as much damage as possible.

Another possibility would be Flat Out 2. since I haven't really played this game much myself I don't think I could really give a good overview of what the game offers. The only thing I've really done in this game is play some of the minigames. The minigames are kind of interesting, but have very little to do with actual racing, andmore to do with weird games that involve crashing and making your driver eject through the windshield and into things.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
And now for something completely different...

If you don't care about realism at all, but like setting the best time online (or off-, if you want), or if like making big jumps, flying through loops, driving on walls, you could try TrackMania Nations Forever.
It comes with a really easy to use track editor.
It's actually free, although there is a "United" version which add different environments/cars to race in.
You can download both versions using Steam.
TrackMania cannot really be compared to the games mentioned above (no car collisions, loops and other strange things, etc.) but I suppose that's actually an extra reason to mention it.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Yeah, he tried TrackMania on my PC and didn't like it. I think he'd prefer the mayhem of collisions and car chases above a straight race.

For reference, he really enjoys playing Drift City with me. In that, you have the option of either participating in races or you can work for the city and chase down rogue cars, ramming into them until you have disabled them. We always end up doing the city missions. He likes the crashes but, also, the fact that the crashes just slow you down and make you lose sight of your target rather than sending you back to the garage with a totaled vehicle.

Thanks for the suggestions, so far! Need for Speed and Burnout sound like they could be good for him.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
Two words: Burnout Paradise - the game is a blast and the weekly content updates are awesome.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 PM

SHIKARI-JONES has much to be proud of
Thumbs up One Of The Best Racing Games I Play
I Think The Series Is Entirely Under Rated, But I Enjoy Burnout: Paradise

I Am Forever, I Am Eternal

Shikari Jones
DJONES@HAYTERENGINEERINGINC.COM
Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 AM

Quilon has much to be proud of
Flashy crashes and physics screams Burnout Paradise or GRID to me. GRID is more of a simulation driver though. One that looks promising is Need For Speed Undercover, ton's of racing and running from cops is to be had.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 AM

th3flyboy has much to be proud of
rFactor and Race07 are what I suggest...

rFactor for the huge mod community, and Race07 for realism.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Since you have a Wii, get Mario Kart. Better yet, get a couple Gamecube controllers and get Mario Kart: Double Dash. Easily the best of the series. There's also a DS version that was very good.

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this.