11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 PM

dyl has much to be proud of
Useless rant about Far Cry 2
Far Cry 2 is so bad. Apparently propagating fire isn't a central concept to open world shooters (did you know?). In retrospect, I think the fire itself had more of an openworld experience than my character did. All the typical elements are here in FC2 but there was one feature that would have made it all work: Fast Forward. My mind came to a crawl as boredom set in, who knew driving a car with strict-physics down a lonesome road with little variation in the atmosphere would be dull? Game killer, it's about 90% of the game!! Let's see what else sucks.... oh yeah the missions. Go here, kill dude. Go here, blow up thing. Generally the missions are supposed to have scripted scenarios, like a bad ass chase or a scripted assault via helicopters, trucks, etc. Not in Far Cry 2, at least not in the first half of the game. The first 6 hours of my gametime has only involved dealing with static mobs hanging out at a camp waiting for me to ruin their day and destroy their thing. OMG the thing! I must get it. I will throw my grenade at it like a super bad ass malaria-stricken soldier that hates those things then drive away in my car that has the tightest suspension ever seen in a video game and I will just totally own the open road with my wild driving behavior and I will go max car speed which is about how fast grandma drives all while detesting stupid games built for stupid publishers who want to create a stupid open shooter because it seems like a good marketing decision when in reality its just completely void of art and just a canvas with a sh*t smear on it. Remember guys, FC was a tech demo and FC2 is equally shallow. Now excuse me I'm going to go drive too fast in GTA and accidentally run over some pedestrians and hopefully escape the cops by making a miraculous car-jump over a coffee shop as I uzi down the remaining cops out my window and watch my SUV handle the landing like a champ - all because I can.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
It's hard to like Far Cry 2 for the same reasons as Assassin's Creed (both Ubisoft products, different teams; go figure) because the game is drop-dead gorgeous yet void of any real content. Missions comprise of the same mundane tasks we were asked to complete in Creed, but this time around targets are more evenly distributed rather than being central to a city. However, it still feels overly ambitious in map size and can feel like a chore to navigate without any real headings. This creates unusual downtime and frustration when proceeding to a mission objective despite the best intentions of the developer for a truly nonlinear experience. An option to freeze the vehicular mini-map to distinguish north and south would have been nice. . .

Once again we are baited into exploration through a collection mini-game (diamonds vs. flags) but this time around it is essential to find every last one, else you'll be forced to pick and choose what upgrades have priority. Of the 1,000 total diamonds from briefcases and missions, none are squandered if you want every last upgrade. Without spoiling the ending, I felt very cheated having spent the time to find them all and being armed to the teeth once the final missions began to roll out. Why do developers feel the need to do this in sandbox games?

If you can get past the repetition, Far Cry 2 slowly begins to grow on you and the African wasteland may even suck you in. For those of us with bleeding edge PCs, you're in for an eyegasm of pleasure. For everyone else, you'll have to settle for the local town crotch. Careful though, she might have teh aids.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
"drop-dead gorgeous yet void of any real content"

A faithful successor to Far Cry, and true to the franchise.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Enthusiast

Wordup95 has much to be proud of
... I thought Far Cry 2 was good...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordup95 View Post
... I thought Far Cry 2 was good...
Troll!

Seriously though, that's perfectly OK. I still respect you.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 AM

VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community
I picked up the game after Ubisoft made their move advertising all the goodies the game had to offer. Unfortunately, after hours of searching for the point behind the game, I came to the conclusion that it was about running over zebra with a Jeep that was refurbished from the 1980's. Still not satisfied with my conclusion, I traded the game in without the manual because I felt the next buyer would only require basic instructions for running over wild animals.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Quilon has much to be proud of
I actually enjoyed parts of the game? Like you guys said the missions seem very disconnected and not really pushing a storyline forward. My biggest peeve was when I first bought it the textures would be messed up on buildings which shouldn't happen seeing as I have a ATI 4870. Besides that when you clear out checkpoints the soldiers respawn ten minutes later which doesn't really seem fair and a giant waste of time.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:42 PM

WalterMondale is community member of note
It wasn't a bad game perse, but it also wasn't a great game. I have to agree that the comes off as open but devoid. The map was unnecessarily large, and the constant stop/kill dudes at checkpoint/drive 100 yards was the real kicker. In the end though, I did enjoy the experience somehow. The mission structure wasn't very varied, but it was fun, and most of them did provide enough flexibility to approach them as you wanted. The enemy AI was also obnoxiously smart at times, and painfully dumb at others.

And who doesn't like another adaptation of "Heart of Darkness" anyways?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 AM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
Yup repetitive and a bit flat in storytelling but I still had a blast playing it. Also loved the first Far Cry. Not sure if I'll play 2 all the way through again... in fact I'd say I wouldn't. But I did play the first 2+ times. Oddly not a fan of the GTA games. I think it's the setting for me, normal streets and cities, gangsters,... I think I like tropical islands, deserts and mercenaries better. It's about mood for me.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 AM

StealthMerc has much to be proud of
But, but, but....custom maps that have crazy game modes in multi.....I liked single player too. Real pretty.