11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you feel it's ok to use exploits/cheats in a single player gaming experience
No. The games should be played the way they were intended 8 26.67%
Yes. It doesn't effect anyone else's experience, why should they care. 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 AM

pops40k has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to pops40k
Single Player Gaming Ethics
So, I was showing a friend of mine Halo 3 the other day. I went into the camera mode where you can take screenshots and videos. We'd been playing co-op campaign. I decided to see if the skulls show up in that mode even if you didn't pick them up, so I send the camera over to the Grunt birthday party skull and sure enough the skull was there.

This led him to say that the feature was lame and should be patched so you can't so that. That the existence of an exploit, even on completely optional to use like that, deteriorates the value from the game.

So basically I want to see what other people think. Do you feel that explots like that existing in a single player game that doesn't actually effect anyone besides the person doing it are utomatically bad and need to be fixed, or it's sgle player, if you don't like it, don't use it. Other people using it doesn't effect my game at all.

I honestly think that as long as it's not an actual game altering glitch that happens whether you like it or not, it's not going to ruin the game for other people that don't like it I don't care if someone else uses it.

For the exact example a used....wooo, they get some armor for multi-player that's esthetic and nothing more, and a few gamer points. Nothing that would have any effect on my actual experience.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
So I'm guessing your friend was referring to the skull being the "lame" glitch. In my opinion, the skulls in Halo 3 don't detract from the game experience. Rather I think Bungie put them there to add to the experience, not detract from it. In fact that is the whole reason behind the skulls altogether, they add either to the campaign score if you choose use that option, or they add to the fun you (and friends) have while playing the campaign, especially the Grunt birthday skull.

So over all I would say that if it only affects singleplayer or the campaign in general, it doesn't matter as long it is not ruining the multiplayer experience for others.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
i think i saw somewhere that Bungie said something about the camera featured was also used to help players find the skulls. And as long as it DOSEN'T affect others (multiplayer) it's not really a problem i think

Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community PrivateSniper is a cornerstone of the community
I only ever cheat on a game, once I've completed the story, or completed as much as I can be bothered to, I never save games with cheats.

For example, with GTA3, i've completed most of the game, and going back and doing the missions is always fun, but sometimes, it's just as fun to stick on a few cheats and blow shit up for a little bit ^^
Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM

metza has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to metza Send a message via MSN to metza
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateSniper View Post
I only ever cheat on a game, once I've completed the story, or completed as much as I can be bothered to, I never save games with cheats.

For example, with GTA3, i've completed most of the game, and going back and doing the missions is always fun, but sometimes, it's just as fun to stick on a few cheats and blow shit up for a little bit ^^
yeah, what he said.

it's pretty much the equivalent of people reading the last chapter of a book when they can't be bothered to finish it and just want to know how it all turns out. if it doesn't affect anyone else's experience, it really shouldn't matter to anyone but the person doing it.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast

RedLynk is a jewel in the community RedLynk is a jewel in the community
Going along with the others, I see no problem with using cheats and such in single player as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I'll use them when I'm bored or just want to mess around in a game or whatever, no harm done.

- RedLynk
Old 01-22-2009, 05:09 PM

DanglingHoudini has much to be proud of
The only way I could beat Halo 1 on legendary was to use two players. If I died I could re-spawn at my team mates location, which was a safe one. Even though I learned how to do this well, it was still hard and I don't think I could have done it without.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I agree with the above.

If you're stuck with a game you can't be bothered to finish the right way, you're not hurting anybody if you cheat to at least get to the end.
Well, you hurt yourself, but perhaps the game wasn't that good to begin with anyway so you really can't be bothered any more.

If you finished the game once, you "earned" the right to cheat to simply have fun.
Cheating tends to ruin the game, but you already experienced the game properly, so why not.
Turn on god mode, infinite weapons, pull every enemy you can see and just shoot everything that moves (or stays still) without thinking.

Also cheating can be a good way to help you figure out how a game was created, how levels were built, what the limits of an enemy's AI are, things like that.

I say you should try to restrain yourself, but if you really want to cheat...
Old 01-28-2009, 03:53 PM

HardDominator has much to be proud of
i voted No. The games should be played the way they were intended

because i feel like a nub when i have to use cheats.. i did it when i was young but i grew over it..

Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Guru

Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mishy is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Then why did they add in cheats? lol