Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Skaboomatude has set foot on a distinguished road
Exclamation So what happens now? 1up sold to hearst
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172156

http://kotaku.com/5124928/1up-sold-t...e-%5Bupdate%5D

http://kotaku.com/5125034/mass-firin...1up-after-sale

No more EGM, podcasts iffy, 30 people let go so far, whats your take on this?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 AM

WillyFourEyes has much to be proud of
Looks like it's back to Kotaku for me! (feels bad for Shane, Shoe, Sharkey and the other editors that worked there.)
Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
In terms of my daily news 1up was just one of many sources that I used every day. I use Google Reader and RSS feeds to monitor the news/work stuff throughout the day, so I'm always reading a combination of Kotaku.com, 1up.com, Destructoid.com, Joystiq.com, WoWInsider.com, Massively.com, MTV Multiplayer Blog and some others. Usually a combination of just a couple of those covers everything that happens in gaming, it's just not as much editorial like you would find at 1up and some of their more indepth articles.

For magazines, though, I don't really have much to read. I've been receiving CGW/Games for Windows mag and EGM for years...so it really sucks to see them go. Me being more of a PC gamer (I got my 360 a year ago, before that I owned a dreamcast about 7 years ago), I read Games for Windows magazine much more..and it really sucked to see that go. EGM dying doesn't impact me AS much, but I still read it every month for the past 4 years or so and it sucks that the US video game magazine market is basically dead. Guess I'll stick to my subscription to Game Informer..and consider a sub to EDGE Magazine.

What does bum me out the most, though, is the 1up podcasts all going away. For the past 3 years I've been listening to the PC podcast (GFW Podcast and later LAN Party), and for the past couple years I've grown to enjoy 1up Yours quite a bit. Lately I even picked up 1up FM after Imran told me it was good stuff. ALL of the 1up podcasts I've checked out have been very entertaining, informative, and they've all gotten me through the week. I can't tell you how many times I've chuckled on the train or bus on my way to the gamerDNA offices because something funny was said on 1up Yours or GFW Podcast :P

Those podcasts going away really sucks...and I'm *really* going to miss the guys that worked at 1up and now they are all leaving. Some of my favorites, like Ryan Scott and Anthony Gallegos, lost their jobs yesterday and that's terrible. I wish them all luck and I can't wait to hear what they're up to next.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel though Most of the 1up guys seem to be hatching plans for what they are going to do next. It sounds like some of them are going to start doing gaming podcasts outside of 1up (one of them is called "Rebel FM" and it's being recorded tonight, actually), so definitely stay tuned. I'm sure most of this stuff will go up on Kotaku or Joystiq once it happens. It should all work out..and who knows, maybe it will go down like what happened with Gamespot/GerstmannGate and Giant Bomb and something really good/cool could come out of it.

Good luck to all the former 1upers, the current 1up guys, and everyone at UGO
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Judge-Azrael has much to be proud of
Other than my obligatory game informer subscription EGM was the only magazine i would buy. So that sucks. Best of luck to the employees that lost their jobs.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 PM

Sandman3030 has much to be proud of
It sucks that people lost their jobs. Some people had to see this coming cause ZeffDavis has been waiting to get rid of 1UP/EGM for a while.
Last edited by Sandman3030 : 01-15-2009 at 08:54 PM.