11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 01-01-2009, 02:05 AM

Tayamane has much to be proud of
Red face Any good...?
I recently got both Mass Effect and Far Cry 2 for the PC to find that my video card wasn't compatible with either of them. We just got a new video card that should work for both of them, but we're on a trip so I can't hook up the video card on my desktop or really look up the games from where I am due to a VERY slow internet connection.

I don't know very much about either of these games other than the fact that they're both first person shooters. If anybody could give me the rundown on either of them, it would be very appreciated and would probably keep me entertained reading them until we get back. Any text-only web pages would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:18 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Mass Effect is a 20-30 hour RPG, it's not really an FPS at all. I think there may be some shooting elements in it, but it's really an RPG. That all said, it's supposed to be an absolutely fantastic game.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:50 AM

RPGs are also a lot of fun. I guess even more fun when they have shooting elements. I've heard a lot of good things about it, but not really anything in particular. Is it really only 20-30 hours long, or is that just the storyline? I've heard that it's much longer than that.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I think it is the main story of Mass Effect that's 20-30 hours long. Then there are the side quests that add another roughly 15-20 more hours on top of the main story. The game has the same basic combat style as Knights of the Old Republic(seeing as both were made by Bioware), but without lightsabers and Force powers.

As for FarCry 2, it is a open world style FPS, in that you can go anywhere and do anything in any order you choose right from the start of the game.

If there is anything else you need to know about either game, feel free to ask.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM

I never played Knights of the Old Republic or really any Star Wars games, so a bit of clarification on the combat system would be nice. I noticed that you get to fight with two other teammates. How exactly does that work?

I heard something about Far Cry 2 not having a very good storyline, but storylines normally aren't what get me into the game. How big of an open world is there, and how much stuff is there to do?

A friend of mine got Fallout 3, so we'll probably swap games back and forth. I guess any information on it would be nice also, but he's talked nonstop about it.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 AM

dyl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayamane View Post
I never played Knights of the Old Republic or really any Star Wars games, so a bit of clarification on the combat system would be nice. I noticed that you get to fight with two other teammates. How exactly does that work?
with lots of pausing.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
It plays in a third-person perspective. When you leave your ship to explore an area you select two of your teammates to go with. There were a few changes in the combat system between Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect. In KotOR you would control your created character although you had the option to switch to either one of your teammates, in Mass Effect you only control your main character. A second change from KotOR to Mass Effect is that in KotOR you had nine teammates to choose from, in Mass Effect you have six. Another change between the two is that in KotOR the combat focused more on lightsabers and Force powers, with Mass Effect the combat is more focused on ranged weapons such as assault rifles, shotguns, pistols and sniper rifles.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 AM

Well I got home safely, the video card is in and working and is running beautifully. Installing Mass Effect now.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 AM

dyl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Well I got home safely, the video card is in and working and is running beautifully. Installing Mass Effect now.

Part of the game's identity is indeed the combat system, and you might appreciate it more than the typical combat system found in countless other games. However, I don't think its anything to get totally excited about. Yes its neat, but its not like other big game developers are going to copy it because honestly its not that good of an innovation. It's a system where you have to pause the game to use your and your team's abilities (via radial menu). Most people say its good because its innovative. True, but rating it amongst other innovations it doesn't shine beyond a 7 out of 10 in my book. Let us know what you think?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 PM

Well... I've been able to play for a bit, but the game crashes on me every hour or so. Checked EA's support page and found that I need to update my processor's drivers. Once they're done updating, I'm gonna try to run the game again.

It's every bit as good as I've heard, if not a bit better at some spots. Looking forward to uncovering the story a bit more.