11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming Platforms > iOS Gaming (iPhone, iPad, and iPod)

Old 12-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
Arrow Favorite iPhone/iPod Touch games?
What are your favorite iPhone/iPod Touch games? Are they from the App store, or do they require a jailbreak to play? Found anything really great that we should all try?

I've found unfortunately that most of the iPhone games aren't all that great. Actually most of the applications on the App store aren't that great for that matter, but there's some that really do stick out as amazing.
  • Tap Tap Revenge and its various editions are pretty sweet. Great for passing time. I always turn off the 'motion' based controls, as they don't work on a bus/subway too well.
  • Field Runners is really sweet, and held at least 5 hours of my attention. Not bad for a $5 mobile game. It does get a bit old after a while and I wish you could 2x or 4x the speed to get through the initial parts faster.
Most of the "brand tie-in" games have been pretty bad. The Audi A4 driving experience was terrible. Star Wars The Force Unleashed was pretty looking and for that it gets a thumbs up, but was really poor play control and buggy at best.

Monkey Ball was terrible in my experience, due to poor play control. It was billed as the perfect platform for the game, due to the control mechanics, but so far I've found that most games that rely on the movement control for delicate movements fail. It's a platform for being 'on the go' and it just doesn't mesh well with being on a crowded bus, the passenger seat of a car, or a shakey subway. At least it was 3d and pretty, which I guess is what people wanted to see.

I 'want' to like Rogue on the iPhone, but its just not a really good control scheme to control an already complex game. Same with Advent.

I'm honestly a bit hesetant to try more iPhone games that aren't free. Mainly because the gameplay is so varied, and most end up being sub-par. The reviews on the iTunes store are overly positive, and just aren't all that helpful. You can't go by the Top 10 list alone.

I'm thinking of trying Sim City for the iPhone.

I'd kill for Braid or Geometry Wars for the iPhone. I think you might be able to work out the control schemes to work right for games like those.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I don't have an iPhone or iPod myself...

SimCity and SimCity 2000 are some of my personal favourites, so if I had an iPhone I'd definitely try this version.
Kotaku says it's $10, so it shouldn't break the bank.
(I don't think there are iPhone demos, but to be honest I don't know.)
The only problem is I don't like (sponsoring) EA after everything they've done.

Kotaku also reviewed Rolando, which is an enhanced LocoRoco clone.
I never played LocoRoco, but it seemed different, in a good way.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community
I like Bejeweled 2, Aerora Feint, JellyCar, Trism, and TapDefense.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
Tap Defense (free)
S. deadbeef (free)
ESPN Cameraman (Free)
BSkieslite (Free)

notice a theme about my igaming

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community KaimerasPain is a jewel in the community
Ima have to say Aurora Feint, the FF Tactics/Defense game, and Real Soccer 09 which has taken away a good portion of my life in the mall, in the car, and so on! Heh

Kaimera-
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 PM
gamerDNA Staff

A-Milli is community member of note
Angry Birds, Words with Friends, and Godville. All from the app store, all free or have free version.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 AM

Corene11 has much to be proud of
these are pretty much all my favourite free apps on my ipod touch
-tap tap revenge 4
-angry birds
-cover orange
-gravity guy
-ratatap drums( best drum app ever)
-nunjump free version
-cut the rope lite
-solomons boneyard and solomons keep
-tap tap glee ( i dont like glee but this app is fun)
-fall down
-and finally istunt insane hills
hope that helped
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Cale07 has much to be proud of
Favorite iPhone/iPod Touch games?
I like to play games on iphone a lot and my favorite iphone games are Zen Bound, Rolando, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Dragon's Lair, Peggle, Angry Birds, Dungeon Hunter 2 and Need for speed Underground.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 AM

Varaug has much to be proud of
Assassin's Creed : Altair's Chronicles.
NFS Underground
Infinity Blade
There aren't many badass games for the iOS.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 AM

berlin1979 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Pass time games? Check "Norm's big Escape"
I play "Rock Band Reloaded" (gaming and music) Need I say more?

Still have "Grand Theft Auto" on my phone. Men I definitely love this badass game.

My latest downloaded game on the App Store is "Norm's Big Escape." A terribly cute and exciting adventure flying game. Speaking of a perfect game to pass time away? This game's the best. Worth checking out dudes.
Last edited by berlin1979 : 11-14-2012 at 05:15 AM.