11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA News and Announcements

Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Post Dec. 23rd gamerDNA Update Notes
On Tuesday December 23rd we put in the last gamerDNA update for the year that will be known as 2008. Don't worry though, the next update will be comin' at ya on January 5th.

Check out the Full Update Notes listed Here

Please feel free to discuss them in this thread!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:47 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Great work guys, thanks for all your effort in such a busy season!

(Specifically - thanks for fixing the Chrome middle-mouse issue. It was driving me nuts.)

With regards to the custom headers, very nice stuff. Is there a way (and if so, what is it) to make your own backing image (as many games are understandably not represented, and some people would probably like to make non-game-themed backgrounds for the hell of it)? Would be good if one could be introduced/created, and certain guidelines laid out (like the dimensions of the image, whether the picture can be hosted elsewhere, opacity levels, etc.).

With the user quote on both the header and the corresponding signature, is there any way the opacity of the black speech box could be lowered a little? It's a bit jarring on some of the backgrounds, seems a bit of an abrupt change from all the other elements which actually do fit.

Also, just noticed this when I saw your signature above:

The ACTIVITY line doesn't wrap properly. I'm using Chrome, not sure about other browsers. Maybe instead of trying to fit the whole thread name in, just make it trail off in a ... near the end?

Finally, just to try this out: Pocketwolf ...? (Edit: Sweet, the profile BBcode works. )
Old 12-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketwolf View Post
With regards to the custom headers, very nice stuff. Is there a way (and if so, what is it) to make your own backing image (as many games are understandably not represented, and some people would probably like to make non-game-themed backgrounds for the hell of it)? Would be good if one could be introduced/created, and certain guidelines laid out (like the dimensions of the image, whether the picture can be hosted elsewhere, opacity levels, etc.).
To answer your question here's what QforQ said about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
At this time I don't think we have any plans to do that in the near future. We will more than likely add more themes as more games come out and we add some more classic games, though.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
First of all, yet another nice update to the site; good job!

The trait widget is nice, gives profile visitor an idea about what kind of games that person likes.
I didn't trait all "my" games yet, so the results are a bit off, making me want to trait the rest sooner.
That and making traits obligatory for new games should make people use the system more, making the overall system work better for everybody.

I also like the auto-entries with embellishments showing up on personalized game pages now; I was going to suggest that myself.
Before some of my pages were a little empty, even though I wrote about my game sessions, but now they are more fleshed out.

I love being able to see people's 5 last played games now.
It's a lot more useful than seeing the last added games, like it was in the past.
It's cool having the 3 games in the new sig as well!
If Xbox 360 Gamerscore would be added, it would almost make the official Gamercard (and mygamercard.net image) obsolete.

My two pence worth:

I personally would like a smaller footprint though.
Most importantly I don't want my sig to dominate my actual forum message, and this size can do that if my message isn't a long one.
I do see some empty space, so it should be possible to make a smaller sig image by just moving things a little closer together, maybe rearranging a bit.

Also I place a higher value on my recent games, so I'd rather have all 5 of them (like on my profile).
I wouldn't mind having to sacrifice the DNA line saying I completed all 5 quizzes, because that's (almost) static information anyway.

Quote:
The ACTIVITY line doesn't wrap properly. I'm using Chrome, not sure about other browsers.
I noticed wrapping issues with people's quotes myself.
A line break appears in the middle of a wo
rd sometimes.
The sig should look for space characters and break there if possible to look nicer.
(Dynamic images are generated server-side, so different browsers won't change this.)
Old 12-27-2008, 06:26 PM

specfops has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to specfops
All, These Updates Seem Great. But I've been having a problem with TS Viewer on my site, and when I edit it, to remove that and my old game server info. It won't save. I need to be able to add my clans 2 new game servers info. This is quite embarrassing, have a look. http://101st.GamerDNA.com

Hopefully they can fix this soon, I've been directing new recruits to my old site.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Ah thanks, Dvader, must've missed that.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Ah thanks, Dvader, must've missed that.
No problem; it was most likely missed by you because it was in the gamerDNA Life forum.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodon8 View Post
I personally would like a smaller footprint though.
Most importantly I don't want my sig to dominate my actual forum message, and this size can do that if my message isn't a long one.
I do see some empty space, so it should be possible to make a smaller sig image by just moving things a little closer together, maybe rearranging a bit.
We plan on doing more gamerDNA Cards in the near future so stay tuned
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Cool, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
I really don't want to sound ungrateful; I just think there is place for different cards, and apparently so do you.
(I did notice the dimensions in the directory name, but didn't want to read too much into that.)
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Savant

I have a question about the sig image, and a related one about Experiences.
First some info:

2008-12-23 I played Dash of Destruction, which generated this Experience.
The Xbox server told gDNA the name of the game, but it wasn't in the gDNA database at the time.
2009-01-13 I was asked to trait the game, meaning it was in the db now, so I edited to experience to tie it to the game.

Soon afterwards my GamerDNA Card had the game on it.
(The game doesn't have box art, just the grey default image.)
However, the game was not added to my profile page.
Shouldn't the fact that I played a game be reflected in both places, or this how it's supposed to be?

Second question:
I didn't actually play the game at the later date, I just edited the Experience.
It was confusing to me that the date changed, and I think this isn't how it's supposed to be.
If I read the release notes right, the date is supposed to stay the original date, which would make more sense to me.

Thanks!