11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 03-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Enthusiast

koji042 has set foot on a distinguished road
Just want to ask another question... do you think AMD will ever catch up to Intel now that it's behind? I know the computer world is constantly changing, but Intel seems to one step ahead of AMD every step of the way since the Core 2 Duos were released. With AMD's financial issues and having ATI Under their wing, just curious to know your take on the siutation.

Thanks.
Last edited by koji042 : 03-07-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Ya never know. They caught up before by innovating and they didn't have anywhere near the financial resources that Intel does. I don't know what factor the engineers played, but I think I've heard that most who worked on the innovation that caught AMD up are now working for Intel. I suppose there is nothing stopping the current workers, or new ones, from innovating and leaping ahead again.

But in terms of production, in actually executing and improving on what they currently have, there's no way AMD can catch up because they just don't have the financial resources that Intel does to open new factories and push the chipsets to smaller sizes. And since they are behind in terms of timetables with when they launched their current architecture compared to Intel, they just can't catch up in dye size shrinks and tweaks. They are, and will remain, behind on that aspect, so when they do catch up / move ahead it's got to be from a design standpoint. Pretty much we won't know anything about that as outsiders until they are close to a breakthrough.

I'm guessing it's probably going to take 2 full chipset architecture generations for them to catch up. (Like 4+ years.) AM3 isn't going to do it. 2x2 has faded into obscurity, and I doubt their next chipset will be a huge leap forward.

They are doing the best thing they can to stay competitive right now - offer stuffs for teh cheap. They know that only their best stuff can match what Intel does for gaming, so they have to focus on that and staying cheap.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast

I have another graphics card question. xD
A friend of mine wants to upgrade his graphics card (he's been running integrated for just about forever), but his power supply is at 300W. Is there any decently performing 3D card for maybe $25-50 that would work?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 PM

shirtofah has much to be proud of
depends on the rest of his specs because if he has some stuff already that has high voltage needs. then no
and if it was pre built by a store.
theres probably not much wats left to get used left.
becuase stores usualy make it so you have a bit more wats than you need but not much
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by koji042 View Post
but his power supply is at 300W. Is there any decently performing 3D card for maybe $25-50 that would work?
If he considers something like 1280x1024 at sub 30 FPS "decent".

There's a chance you could find something like 8500 GT on Ebay that could work. If they have a PCIe slot. (8600 GT goes up to 350w) It would also depend on if they have enough amps. It's not all about watts.

With a 350w or higher with enough watts you could get a 9500 GT, which would be reasonably tollerable.

I'd highly recommend they save up closer to $125 and do something like a 9600 GT and a 500w OCZ StealthXStream.

There's also the question of if that system is a half-height one. If so that will make things even tougher.

(Sorry no links, barely any time. )
Old 03-31-2009, 03:24 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
If he considers something like 1280x1024 at sub 30 FPS "decent".

There's a chance you could find something like 8500 GT on Ebay that could work. If they have a PCIe slot. (8600 GT goes up to 350w) It would also depend on if they have enough amps. It's not all about watts.

With a 350w or higher with enough watts you could get a 9500 GT, which would be reasonably tollerable.

I'd highly recommend they save up closer to $125 and do something like a 9600 GT and a 500w OCZ StealthXStream.

There's also the question of if that system is a half-height one. If so that will make things even tougher.

(Sorry no links, barely any time. )
Thanks much.

This pretty much confirmed what little research I'd done beforehand so I told my friend to save up for a while longer.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I bought a computer at a garage sale yesterday, for $20. From what I found inside, it looks it might have been QforQ's old rig. All I needed from it was the CR/RW drive (mine was broken) and the RAM.

What's all this "retail" stuff you're talking about? :P

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
http://www.gamerwok.com/archives/3055

The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thund3rball is a jewel in the community Thund3rball is a jewel in the community
Build a Kick-Ass $500 Gaming PC, Play Crysis at 40FPS!
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...y_crysis_40fps

Here's another from Ars

$686.60
Includes monitor, keyboard & mouse but no OS.
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/guid...09-edition.ars
Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

The main thing I disagree with about that Maxium article is that you have to OC the poop outa that E5200. From what I've read on several boards you really have to push that core to be good for games. Great if you are used to doing that, but for someone who's looking for teh cheap and not used to it I'd say spend the little bit more and get an E7400.