11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 PM

XdaveX is community member of note
Xbox live games?
So, for christmas, i think my parents are going to get me an xbox 360 pro along with live. Any suggestions on what games to get? I've heard CoD: WoW is good, along with GoW2, anyone have any reviews for them?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
If this is your first time experiencing your Xbox - there's two games that I think really make it fun - #1 - Gears of War 2, #2 - Rock Band 2.
Instead of getting Call of Duty World at War I'd recommend you nab Call of Duty 4 - I think you'll have more fun with the modern setting.

Other than that, make sure you spend some XBLA points and pick up Geometry Wars 2 - it's well worth it!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I second those games. Call of Duty 4 is of the top multiplayer titles ever. GoW 2 is great, though there have been some complaints about lag during Live matches.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
Use the Force Luke...
Why not give our Recommendation System a try? Put in COD and GOW along with some traits of what you'd like about those games... and see what comes out. I've recently found this to be an excellent way to discover new games when I'm not sure what to get.

Oh, and yes. Get Geometry Wars 2, and Braid. Also if you want the hardest game you've likely ever seen get MegaMan 9 (I say these because I don't think the recommendation engine picks up on XBLA games yet)

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Since you can (assuming/hoping you have a decent internet connection), I advise you to try lots of demos (and just delete them afterwards) to see if something appeals to you.

Not all demos are of equal quality, but at least they tell you something about the full game.
Actually the quality of a demo gives you a decent indication of the quality of the full game as well.
Demos are a very nice feature of the system, in my opinion.

Also look out for free games, which don't come around very often.
Try Doritos Dash of Destruction, talked about a bit in this thread.

That reminds me, you can already register your Gamertag on the Xbox.com site if you want.
That way you can already used the DDoD link above to put the game in your download queue.
Click "See all", the green button, and look at the bottom of that page.
A pretty new, but very handy feature.

I'm not sure if any of the other (previously) free games are still free, but I'll look them up if I remember.
(Need to walk the dog first. )

Edit:
Here are two games that may still be free now, though I don't promise anything: Aegis Wing, Undertow.
The other ones I got were all part of some temporary deal at the time.
Last edited by Retodon8 : 12-24-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:24 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Call of Duty 4 should be a safe bet since it looks like you like online shooters. COD4 was an absolutely fantastic game from last year, one of the best.

If you enjoy shooters and playing cooperatively you might also want to try Left4Dead..for your PC or your 360
Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM

Shawnzzy has much to be proud of
I would say as far as online goes Left 4 Dead, Gears of War 2, and CoD4 are your best bets. But don't stop at multiplayer there are too many good games out for the 360 right now. Fallout 3, YOU CAN HAZ THIS
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 PM

Location: i am United Statesian, and if that is not enough information, i am Mighiganian!!
sinfuldamasta has much to be proud of
Fallout 3 gives you 100 hours of gameplay if you do main and side quests with some exploring, and has very good gameplay (can't change difficulty though). CoD 5 is awesome, the weapons are better than CoD 4, you can call artillery and dogs, zombies mode and death cards (CoD 4 has none of those), and better online with squads and squad leaders.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:44 AM

Shawnzzy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfuldamasta View Post
Fallout 3 gives you 100 hours of gameplay if you do main and side quests with some exploring, and has very good gameplay (can't change difficulty though). CoD 5 is awesome, the weapons are better than CoD 4, you can call artillery and dogs, zombies mode and death cards (CoD 4 has none of those), and better online with squads and squad leaders.
You can change the difficulty of Fallout 3. Just go to the options menu and look for the slider. You can make it anywhere from too easy or so hard you will wonder how it is even possible to make it 10 minutes.