11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 PM

NeoMobius has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to NeoMobius
Free Radical shuts its doors
Free Radical, for the unawares, is a company that was created from former developers from Rare, who were part of the teams making the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark games for the Nintendo 64. They are the developers behind the TimeSplitters games, as well as the critical flop Haze.

Check out Edge-Online's full article relating to their closure. I just wanted to focus in on one part of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge-Online
Perhaps the worst news for fans of the studio is the demise of TimeSplitters 4. "They had already started working on TimeSplitters 4, and had been for over a year, but due to the failure of Haze and the deal falling through with Lucas, they couldn't get a publisher to back them. They had a last ditch attempt last week down South somewhere, but it came to nothing so I think that was the last hope."
I was just wondering if there are any TimeSplitters fans in the forums and what there thoughts on this. In a time of serious shooters such as Call of Duty 4 or Gears of War 2, this generation seems to be void of the more carefree shooters, save Team Fortress 2. I've personally been a big fan of the series due to its humorous story and excellent multiplayer, and was very excited for TimeSplitters 4, but mildly skeptical due to Haze.

Is anyone hoping that TimeSplitters 4 will be bought up and released, or are they expecting Free Radical to be over and done with? Please be considerate, as people have lost their jobs. We'll be nice on the net today.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I find it interesting how much spin control keeps being thrown at the public when a company is already well aware that doors are going to be shut. Smoke was already beginning to plume earlier this week of a closure, but once again the company denied it and issued a statement of job cuts.

Next up, Factor 5.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 12-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
The Timesplitters franchise was my favorite FPS series, PC or Console. It was just so much wacky fun and felt like it was infinitely replayable vs. the other shooters like Halo.

Do I hope someone else picks up TS4? In a way, no. Unless they also pick up the former employees of Free Radical, I hope instead someone remembers what made games like Time Splitters awesome and elaborate on what could've been done better to improve the style of game. My only complaint with Timesplitters:Future Perfect was the multiplayer support on Xbox Live. I never got to play the PS2 version online but TS:FP on XBL was painful at times. LAN, however, was fun as hell.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Muffalopadus has much to be proud of
Timesplitters was such a confusing game to me. At least, the campaign thing was. Multiplayer was awesome, and I totally agree with the idea of a "casual" fps like TF2. We need more!

Haze was just...horrible. Too bad for Free Radical, eh? I guess all we can hope for is some other company picking up the idea and hopefully some employees.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Bustacapz has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Bustacapz Send a message via Skype™ to Bustacapz
I just wanna put it on the record that Conker's Bad Fur Day was one of the best games that Rare put out. The multiplay was pretty sweet as well for an n64 game.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 AM

MRXBOXnVANBC MRXBOXnVANBC MRXBOXnVANBC
What a shame !
Wow a REAL Shame ! They made the best ever score board , it counted every shot and every body part you hit ! More and more companies are going to get into trouble as the WORLD slips deeper into Depression ! Lets hope we don't end up with just a couple of game makers , or we'll end up with more broken games that don't work .
Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXBOXnVANBC View Post
More and more companies are going to get into trouble as the WORLD slips deeper into Depression ! Lets hope we don't end up with just a couple of game makers , or we'll end up with more broken games that don't work .
While consumers are not as loose with their money, I think you'll find that it's poor quality games that have been bringing down companies -- not the economy. HGL iceberg'd Flagship, Lair owned Factor 5, and Haze killed Free Radical. With production costs and development time what they are today, one dud can down an entire independent company no matter how proven they are.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Enthusiast

RedLynk is a jewel in the community RedLynk is a jewel in the community
I'm mainly worried about what's gonna happen to this. It looks so awesome, I'm hoping LucasArts will find someone to finish it up or something.

- RedLynk
Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Kereidas has much to be proud of
Free Radical sure went out with a bang. That leaked video definitely got a lot of people's attention.

Now, they'll say that they -didn't- close down, finish up the nearly-complete game, release, and watch the cash flow in. Or not. Just a thought.