11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!


Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MMORPG Connections


Post Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Deadplayer Deadplayer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 24
Deadplayer is infamous around these parts
WOW-like MMORPG but FREE Collection
So many mmorpgs are said to resemblance to WoW. Why not list them out? If you know others, just put them up.

Perfect World -A complete WoW Clone. The game features an auction house, similar to that of World of Warcraft and a crafting system where players have to collect resources outside town, think mining and herbalism from World of Warcraft.
Perfect World is a 3D MMORPG that takes place in a gorgeously designed fantasy world. Perfect world is definitely one of the best looking MMORPGs ever released and has one of the most in depth character customization system of any MMORPG.
Official site: http://www.perfectworld.ms (EU)
http://www.perfectworld.com (International)
http://www.perfectworld.com.my ((Malaysia)
http://perfectworld.levelupgames.ph (Philippines)
Dekaron: 2Moons - There is instanced dungeons in which you get your own assigned dungeon, that only you can see kind of like World Of Warcraft.
Dekaron: 2Moons is a fusion-fantasy 3D MMORPG set in a violent, Middle Ages-like scenerio. Its realistic environment and explosive adventure make this extraordinary game much like watching a fast-paced action movie. You must journey into this magical world with hundreds of other adventurers and explore perilous dungeons and fantastical cities in the world of Trieste.
Official site: http://www.gametribe.com/gt/dekaron.do (EU)
http://2moons.acclaim.com/ (US)

Talisman Online -1. Auction House - This game has an auction house and banking similar to World of Warcraft. In fact, just looking at the screenshots on this page shows that the game bears a strong resemblance to WoW. Talisman Online incorporates some of WoW's better ideas to make the game more player-friendly.
2. Combat - Combat is intuitive and borrows from World of Warcraft in several ways. It is an essential part, as with any MMO, of accomplishing your goals as a player. In order to build up your equipment and increase your talisman powers, you need to hunt monsters for points. The more points you have, the better your equipment upgrades can be.

Talisman Online is a free 3D multiplayer online role-playing game. It happened in an ancient fantasy world, people take adventure to enhance their magic skill to protect the peace of the world. But some omens showing the Evils are revived, so it's the time for you to defeat the Evils.
Oficial site: http://www.talismanonline.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Roxianna's Avatar
Roxianna Roxianna is offline
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 2,125
Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I'm sorry, but I don't see anyway in which Perfect World is a WoW clone. Anymore than WoW is a clone of Asheron's Call 2. Here's screen shot from Perfect World. It looks to me a bit like Everquest with Guild Wars characters in it.

Yes, the UI is similar, because it's an MMORPG. All MMORPGs share certain traits, like having avatars, maps, minimaps and MOBs to kill.

I don't think it's helpful to declare a game a WoW clone either. People who like WoW are playing...WoW. People who don't would probably not play a clone either.

I understand that Perfect World is a pretty fun game and a lot of people say great things. Let's forget about WoW and find out what the traits of Perfect World are that make people love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6qc2df9.jpg (625.9 KB, 50 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2008, 06:55 PM
KreedGhost's Avatar
KreedGhost KreedGhost is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 36
KreedGhost is a jewel in the community KreedGhost is a jewel in the community
Nice features, rich environment, but looks to me from what I read and while glancing around in order to get any real gold or anything you actually have to purchse it using one of their payment systems. I for one like free MMORPG's that look and feel like the paid ones, but one thing they are always lacking is the fact that to really advance or do anything you have to pay something somewhere with your own money. Perfect World I think would be good for those who want to get into the MMORPG's but don't want to pay the monthly cost like WOW and also don't want to pay anything extra in 'real' money to get anything extra they would need.

Nice list though...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM
revlazaro's Avatar
revlazaro revlazaro is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,478
revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
I still think Requiem is a pretty sweet game for the pick me up, dunno what else to play kinda days. To be honest, the only thing that truly sucks about Requiem imo is the PvP. The Battlegrounds are borked badly (level ranges like 11-29 wtf?) and if I recall, the required population for them GOES UP with leveling. I'm about to roll on the open PK server, but from what I've read it's just bragging rights.

Runes of Magic is going Open Beta on Monday. That one, while kinda having the type of cartoony graphics that can almost send me into Diabetic shock, still had some pretty solid elements comparable to other MMO's (mining, crafting, housing, quests, decent leveling etc).

I would say you get what you pay for, but honestly...I think the MMO market is pretty cookie cutter regardless of P2P or F2P these days.
__________________

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 AM
BlueSorceror's Avatar
BlueSorceror BlueSorceror is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 4
BlueSorceror has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlazaro View Post
I think the MMO market is pretty cookie cutter regardless of P2P or F2P these days.
I think we've passed cookie cutter. The industry has achieved a state of being where particles of flour just hang over the tray in a gingerbread elf pattern until egg, sugar, and vanilla hit them resulting in spontaneous combustion. Sometimes a bland, slightly charred sugar cookie is willed into existence, and sometimes the development studio burns down.
Last edited by BlueSorceror : 12-15-2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: gg not closing tags
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Reimu's Avatar
Reimu Reimu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 13
Reimu has much to be proud of
I kinda gotta ask, why is this in the FPS section if it isn't FPS related?
__________________
S4: Source! Your number one resource for S4 League!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 AM
XdaveX's Avatar
XdaveX XdaveX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 39
XdaveX is community member of note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadplayer View Post
So many mmorpgs are said to resemblance to WoW. Why not list them out? If you know others, just put them up.

Perfect World -A complete WoW Clone. The game features an auction house, similar to that of World of Warcraft and a crafting system where players have to collect resources outside town, think mining and herbalism from World of Warcraft.
Perfect World is a 3D MMORPG that takes place in a gorgeously designed fantasy world. Perfect world is definitely one of the best looking MMORPGs ever released and has one of the most in depth character customization system of any MMORPG.
Official site: http://www.perfectworld.ms (EU)
http://www.perfectworld.com (International)
http://www.perfectworld.com.my ((Malaysia)
http://perfectworld.levelupgames.ph (Philippines)
Dekaron: 2Moons - There is instanced dungeons in which you get your own assigned dungeon, that only you can see kind of like World Of Warcraft.
Dekaron: 2Moons is a fusion-fantasy 3D MMORPG set in a violent, Middle Ages-like scenerio. Its realistic environment and explosive adventure make this extraordinary game much like watching a fast-paced action movie. You must journey into this magical world with hundreds of other adventurers and explore perilous dungeons and fantastical cities in the world of Trieste.
Official site: http://www.gametribe.com/gt/dekaron.do (EU)
http://2moons.acclaim.com/ (US)

Talisman Online -1. Auction House - This game has an auction house and banking similar to World of Warcraft. In fact, just looking at the screenshots on this page shows that the game bears a strong resemblance to WoW. Talisman Online incorporates some of WoW's better ideas to make the game more player-friendly.
2. Combat - Combat is intuitive and borrows from World of Warcraft in several ways. It is an essential part, as with any MMO, of accomplishing your goals as a player. In order to build up your equipment and increase your talisman powers, you need to hunt monsters for points. The more points you have, the better your equipment upgrades can be.

Talisman Online is a free 3D multiplayer online role-playing game. It happened in an ancient fantasy world, people take adventure to enhance their magic skill to protect the peace of the world. But some omens showing the Evils are revived, so it's the time for you to defeat the Evils.
Oficial site: http://www.talismanonline.com/
ive played a game alot similar to this one ,12 sky. i played it for a little and it was so-so. you basically get paid for playing it, which can be easily cheated. you get points for being online and you can spend them on weapons/armor/spells, and it doesnt log you off after x hours of inactivity. so just leave it on overnight and you can get redeemable points. the leveling is basically killing monsters for xp, the cash is from setting up your own stores anywhere in the world. theres 3 different factions in 3 different areas. its ok
http://12-sky.aeriagames.com/
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 PM
CindyL's Avatar
CindyL CindyL is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 7
CindyL has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to CindyL
The only blatant WoW copy F2P MMO is Runes of Magic, I mean really you cannot get around how much it's like WoW. These other games are more like copies of each other or maybe Lineage 2.

__________________
The wisdom of hindsight is always flawless

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2009, 01:47 AM
horneldiablo's Avatar
horneldiablo horneldiablo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
horneldiablo has much to be proud of
Well I found that FlyFF was Wow-like as in genre of MMO, but not the style it is made by.

Fiesta is another I came across of pretty much the same as FlyFF (except I actually like this one personally :P)

...and of course Perfect World, except Perfect World's style was more made to be a bit serious as opposed to WoW's style of making the monsters toon-like and a bit exaggerated.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Blakkmantis's Avatar
Blakkmantis Blakkmantis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Duluth MN USA
Posts: 41
Blakkmantis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see anyway in which Perfect World is a WoW clone. Anymore than WoW is a clone of Asheron's Call 2. Here's screen shot from Perfect World. It looks to me a bit like Everquest with Guild Wars characters in it.

Yes, the UI is similar, because it's an MMORPG. All MMORPGs share certain traits, like having avatars, maps, minimaps and MOBs to kill.

I don't think it's helpful to declare a game a WoW clone either. People who like WoW are playing...WoW. People who don't would probably not play a clone either.

I understand that Perfect World is a pretty fun game and a lot of people say great things. Let's forget about WoW and find out what the traits of Perfect World are that make people love it.
I tend to agree with this poster, I have been a veteran of EQ2 for about 5 years now. I've played WoW also. Along with a bunch of other MMO's. They all have similarities, but are all different in their own way. Recently I have discovered PERFECT WORLD and so far I've found it a delite to play. And I would call it a game where if you combined WoW, EQ2, and GW and tossed in a few improvements, with an asian flair. And you get a cool little free game to play, that has enuf content built into it, to keep you busy potentially for a long long time.

I hated WoW, I mean I really really didnt like it. PW on the other hand for some reason has captured my attention. The way I see it, is if WoW was more like PW then maybe I'd still be playing that game instead, and not talking about PW, lol.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off