11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
This "Girl Effect" video brought tears of hope to my eyes

"The video underlines the importance of achieving human rights for women and girls. Many people argue that social practices that harm girls or in some way disadvantage them are just "culture" or "tradition" and therefore the West should not interfere. My response? Human rights are universal."

If you have ever felt, even for a second, that you were dis-empowered because you happened to be born a female, I think you'll understand why this moved me.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
The video makes it sound a lot more simpler than it all is tbh... But I know Grameen bank has been trying / doing this for almost 3 decades. The guy behind it (Prof Yunus) even won the nobel peace prize a few years back. He's written some interesting books on poverty and the status of women and the effect they can have on society, if you're into all that.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I saw it as a sexist take on the 'power of one' and considering my family includes some very strong women in powerful job positions, I took nothing from it. Imagine a world where everyone is as strong as they try to be; oh wait, we already are. . .

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Lurker in Disguise

Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Send a message via ICQ to Syldra Send a message via AIM to Syldra Send a message via MSN to Syldra Send a message via Yahoo to Syldra
gotta agree with Jodou here.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Founding Member

Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence Methedras is bathed in a white light of excellence
I'll work on empowering one of each since that's what I've been gifted with

Sexist schlock is all that video is :P

"If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."
Old 12-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Watching that video, I have to admit I didn't understand why the person has to be a girl.
Of course the video conveys a positive message, so I'm cool with that.
(And of course poverty isn't really that easy to fix.)

Still, according to the video it all starts by giving the girl an education.
Wouldn't giving a boy an education have a very similar effect?
I realize in some parts of the world females have it a lot tougher than males, meaning they need a little extra comparatively to balance the genders, but boys earn an education and everything that follows just as much.

Actually it doesn't start with education.
It starts by removing the girl's: hunger, HIV (OK), husband, baby (Really?).
If I take it to mean to make sure all that refers to prevention, it makes some sense, but I don't think the video answers how to do this.
It says "pretend you can do this", so that's not exactly clear.

I'm all for bringing positive messages, but I just don't understand this one.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
I saw it as a sexist take on the 'power of one' and considering my family includes some very strong women in powerful job positions, I took nothing from it. Imagine a world where everyone is as strong as they try to be; oh wait, we already are. . .
I think it's supposed to be for poor people in developing countries who struggle with the status of women within those societies.... Not for Jodou from North Illinois. It's no real surprise that you can't relate to their message as the US is quite known for its equality between men and women in powerful positions.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast

n0mad has taken things to a new low n0mad has taken things to a new low
Send a message via MSN to n0mad
I agree with Dem, in USA and many other countries where girls are considered equal this message has no effect. But there is that other side of the shiny coin, there r countries which are prosperous and wealthy but women do not have equal status (I DO NOT approve this). So i guess i'm saying for some parts of the world it maybe ok to do that (and again I DO NOT approve that). So i don't know maybe it all comes down to the rule of majority or habitat, i mean if the country is prosperous and the women don't have equal status there (and they r ok with it) should we care? or should we care only if it's a poor country or a place where ther is not enough food or anything? I dunno i'm just confused when it comes to big questions like that.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Easy Breezy~

I've decided to make a post giving my take on the matter. Not just to clarify some questions I've seen, but also cuz im incredibly wasted and really tired. Which is always a good excuse to start posting.

Obviously the video is a load of propaganda and doesn't really state any real solution to any real problem.

" The world is a mess. Poverty. Aids. Hunger. War." "The solution is not science, the solution is not the government, the solution is not money". Honestly, that's where they already lost me. Science is key to everything. Change is needed through both social as well as institutional reforms as well as the way governments think and act... But most of all, the solution is money... If you go to the website (which is absolutely horrible btw), eventually you'll find out that they do need your money. So what their bullshit is about "money is not the solution", well, that's obviously not correct. But whether just handing them over money is gonna do them much good... I doubt. I don't have much faith in most charity organizations to begin with, but that's a different matter. Actually, it's not.

Anyway.

Quote:
Watching that video, I have to admit I didn't understand why the person has to be a girl.
It has to be a girl because girls are getting too little attention. In a lot of poorer countries such as Bangladesh and other middle Eastern countries women have a very low status in society. They do piss jobs and earn even less. Think of numbers such as less than 3cents for a full day of intense labour with no recognition what-so-ever. They do not own property, they do 'not need' to be educated, nor do they need money and are almost always denied for loans, they are basically property of the man. History has shaped their mindset in such a way that they themselves see themselves as the inferior part of society. Obviously there are differences in how severe their condition is in various areas of the world, but in general their status in society is looooow.

Now that's all fine and all if you believe in a 'live and let live' sort of thing and you don't care about equality, but still... Besides trying to break the mindset of women as inferior beings and promoting emancipation and equality, why invest in women? They don't know anything about money, right?

Well I don't know, offering the same option to men would probably also help. But apparently women tend to invest money in the upkeep of their family (living conditions and education), whereas men tend to put personal needs first (booz and gambling). I think the percentages are something like 80-90% for women against 30-40% for males. So the theory is that by enabling women access to money, they'll invest in their own family, improving living conditions, economic independence, decision making and status (both in family as well as society). Investing in women should in theory therefore provide a bigger payoff than men (since they are already in a higher position the marginal payoff would be less).

I think the focus on women also has a lot to do with the fact that their access to money (and thus education) is restricted both by physical barriers (banks not lending them money) as well as mental barriers (theyre women, they have no value, what do they need money for?). The vid says get her educated, and then get a loan. I think both are major problems that need to be solved in developing countries. But hey, if the organization wants to help with that, good for them. Although one might wonder about how much one culture should interfere in another culture. Living in poverty can't be very enjoyable, but are they (especially the men) willing to change their entire mindset about women in order to rise above poverty? I certainly hope so...

Now organizations like this are all fun and games, and give women access to money enabling them to start investing in their family, education and thus future... But the harder part would be convincing them that they actually need the money and should invest it. I can easily see half of the money gathered going to some girl... who then gives it to her husband because she isn't properly educated about what to do with the money or even "too scared" just by the thought of having money.

Personally, I think focussing on women is also partly a way of attracting investors, much the same as sad looking children. A man with a full grown beard just doesn't attract money.

But when you look at a company such as the Grameen bank (a bank that focusses on lending to poor women) and the impact they have had on poor societies, it's incredible. Then again you can wonder on how just the Grameen bank is... But that's a different discussion all together.

I hope this sheds a little light on the women theory.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem View Post
I think it's supposed to be for poor people in developing countries who struggle with the status of women within those societies.... Not for Jodou from North Illinois. It's no real surprise that you can't relate to their message as the US is quite known for its equality between men and women in powerful positions.
I think I've figured it out. . .

You're a sexually repressed woman.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd