11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Just pick whatever floats your boat really. D&D 3E/d20/Pathfinder system is a pretty crunchy system. If you can find a free one that tickles your fancy, rock on and go for it.

If you really want some crunchy systems, check out Goblinoid Game's line of "Retro Clone" RPG's. These are essentially open sourced tabletop RPG systems that re-create the same dice matrices and character development systems as first edition Dungeons & Dragons, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Gamma World, and even the RuneQuest/Call of Cthulhu rules (their GORE rules are a pretty stripped down version of the later system, but it's pretty cool if you're into Percentile based systems).

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/

To address your concern about beastiary's even further:
Take note that Dungeons & Dragons originally was based of tabletop miniature warfare gaming rules. The initial idea was instead of enmassing armies, players controlled their single character and developed them while the Dungeon Masters would design sinister dungeons and throw various monsters at them.

Not all RPG's follow this design, but in all honesty it is a strength about D&D. When you need stats in a hurry for monsters to throw at your party members at an appropriate difficulty level, it's nice to have a compendium to give you a run down. Besides, the real fun is coming up with ways on how to use them.

For instance, you can throw half a dozen Goblins at a party and treat them as fodder for your players. But how about a goblin that stealths in the shadows, and can actually speak their common tongue, and maybe offers to assist the players in exchange for a service to him?

Or my favorite concept: The baby dragon whose mom was kidnapped by the evil princess, and the players stumble across it hiding in the woods, scared, and asks the players to help him thwart the spoiled royal brat and free its mom from the dungeon.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 AM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlazaro View Post
For instance, you can throw half a dozen Goblins at a party and treat them as fodder for your players. But how about a goblin that stealths in the shadows, and can actually speak their common tongue, and maybe offers to assist the players in exchange for a service to him?
Hehe! My absolute favorite example of that was a villain my husband threw at us in an old campaign. We thought we were up against a powerful magic-user, someone who could really do us serious, bodily harm unless we handled things just right. It turned out to be a kobold on stilts wearing a voluminous robe...and who had an amazing grasp of trapdoors, smoke and mirrors. He was like the David Copperfield of kobolds!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 PM

KreedGhost is a jewel in the community KreedGhost is a jewel in the community
The one you chose would be a good starting point to learn RPG's and get a basic feel of the machanics. I looked through it and thought it was pretty well thought out. Though for a beginner, the multiple amounts of dice needed will be something you will have to learn, like old AD&D you had all sorts of dice to roll for different things.

For a beginner I think it is a good starting point, for your age, like you said you can't just wonder around, it gives you what you need and is free so you wouldn't have to worry about spending anything or even going out.

First thing I would do is study the rules, spells, races and everything to get a good idea on them. then move onto learning about the world they have set up and see what you as a DM can do to that world.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
eBay, Amazon, Borders or Barnes and Nobel will all have the books you need if there isn't a local mom and pop store. But if you're in a town of any size then you should be able to find a local store. I know of at least 3 within walking distance of gamerDNA that have full selections of any pen and paper/tabletop games that you'd ever need and all hold gaming nights. Often they are combined with CCG stores, or you should at least be able to find people to play with there.

I find that local universities almost always have a few groups of people playing, as do almost anywhere with an Army/Navy/etc base. RPG's are big in the armed forces, as they have always been interested in tactical games.

Getting into them is pretty easy, and even moreso these days with the internet. When I started playing, there wasn't much information online that wasn't scattered over FTP servers or usenet posts.

You can also find an MMO or Mud that approximates many of the basics of the game and get some ideas to start there, however actually playing is far different. A lot of people play in IRC as well. One of my ex's played nearly daily in IRC and it was a blast.

I'd ask around at school to find people as well, surely there's someone. When I started I think I was 11 and mainly playing with similar age friends, but by 14 or so I was playing with college kids as well. YMMV. My parents were really flexible with me and trusted my friends that were driving me around.

Getting started fully costs about $100 overall, but could be a great holiday gift. I personally like 2nd edition books the best myself, and you can get them off eBay for next to nothing. Make sure to get good dice. Cheap ones roll funny.

Welcome to the game! Hope you enjoy!

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 12-13-2008, 12:34 AM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
Wow you guys are awesome! I guess I should answer you each one at a time:

revlazaro: Thanks for that link! I really like the look of mutant future, especially since me and my friends are really into that sci-fi thing. Especially zombie survival. I have a feeling that this game will feel a lot like that. I'll read through the manual in a bit. If it's too long to print out, and I like the game, I'll probably ask for the paperback book version for xmas

arislyn: I am definitely doing that sometime. That made me laugh

KreedGhost: Thanks! I dunno what we're going to do, whether try that one first, like you suggest, or just try Mutant Future. What do you thing?

tibbon: Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll stick to free ones if I can. If I decide I want to get proper D&D, I'll definitely consider what you said. Thanks.

Sice Christmas is so near, I doubt that I'll be buying dice, I'll just ask for them for Christmas. This set is the one that I want the most.

Thanks again for all the feedback! I need to get in touch with my friends again and update them
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Yeah Mutant Future kicks tail. It's a clone of an old game called Gamma World, which you can find tons of websites devoted to. It was essentially D&D "after the bomb" so if you like Fallout, or old sci fi movies, it's really rad.

Glad you found something that interests you! Plus, if you do get the actual print books, at least you can have your friends download the free PDF to look over and get an idea.

And while that that dice set is a little pricey, I couldn't think of a better first time set since it includes a lot of obscure dies that even I don't really have (and it never hurts to have selection in math crunchy games!)

Be warned though there are dice snatchers out there!
For less than that I recommend:
http://www.chessex.com/Dice/poundofdice.htm
http://www.chessex.com/index.html

I actually endorse Chessex. I have lots of sets I've bought from them for under $10 that have been my lucky monster slayers.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 AM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
I had my eyes on that Pound Of Dice thing, but then I watched the video about Gamescience's dice being more precise than other brands, and got all paranoid.

And I'd probably get the no-inked ones instead of the hand-inked, because they're 8 bucks cheaper.

The problem facing me is that my mom won't let me just buy the dice, but instead had me add them to my Christmas list. I realize that if I bought dice off the interweb they would probably arrive around Christmastime anyway, but there's that part of me that doesn't realize just how close it is to Christmas.... anyway.

Me and my friends would probably just start playing that Arcane Saga one really soon (not much to print out, as opposed to the 160-page tome that is Mutant Future!), except it's the bleeding dice that are keeping us back. Of course, my calculator has random-number generator functions, but those are really just equations that seem random, and I don't think I'd trust them.

And what are dice snatchers?
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-13-2008, 02:25 AM

KreedGhost is a jewel in the community KreedGhost is a jewel in the community
Also if you are interested in getting into a campaign, I am working on setting up an online campaign of AD&D, it will give you a chance to experience the player side of the game. I will be using a dice roller, character sheets and alot of free stuff to run this.

Also, I have noticed if you look through this forum, you will find alot of threads with leads on good places to find material that is not expensive or free. For AD&D you might want to check out wotc (wizards of the coast) to learn about AD&D a little more.

Also as arislyn said, feel free to keep tossing questions at us, you will get the answers.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreedGhost View Post
Also if you are interested in getting into a campaign, I am working on setting up an online campaign of AD&D, it will give you a chance to experience the player side of the game. I will be using a dice roller, character sheets and alot of free stuff to run this.
That sounds like a lot of fun! Is it a live chat-room type thing, a forum, an email system, or what? I'd like to get into that!
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaboonOfTheYard View Post

And what are dice snatchers?
Players who -- whether they realize it or not -- walk away with your dice.
As for dice rolling quality, trust me: it varies. I have expensive dice sets that roll crap (My dice made out of real obsidian, for instance) to cheap sets that are my lucky set (Gold painted dice I bought at a hobby shop down in Austin for 5 bucks. Player killers those are!)

There's almost a whole sub culture of gamers who have their own superstitions about dice. I've seen players put theirs in the freezer, align them in particular orders to charge them, and my personal favorite: Rubbing them clockwise on an important signature of a gaming legend. I had a DM once who was a local legend for running an infamous GURPS game that the whole premise was Zombie Apocalypse: Wal-Mart style. I had him sign my character sheet and I'd roll my dice and I was a crit rolling pro.

Find your sets, and let lady luck walk with ya :P