11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 12-07-2008, 08:07 PM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
How to get one?
I've become reeeeeally interested in games like DnD.

I credit it to this comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html (first hundred or so are pretty cheesy, but they get REALLY good by the end. best webcomic ever, even if it is the longest I've ever seen. 613 comics at the time of this writing. lost of swearing though, so not for kids)

And this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmUj9QJ9RM (note: is definitely not appropriate for kids. but it is wildly hilarious)

I'm wondering: how difficult is it to get the materials for the game? I know you can download a PDF of the rulebook off the internet, but what other stuff do you need?
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Generally, all you need is the Player's Handbook, the DM's/GM's Guide, the Monster Manual, polyhedral dice and pen & paper. There are oodles of books with various and sundry adventures, classes, settings, etc. but those are not absolutely necessary.

You can usually buy everything you need at a local bookstore or comic/game store. Also, they can be ordered off of the internet easily enough.

Now, are you interested specifically in D&D or are you just interested in any pen and paper settings/systems? There are a ton of them out there. (I currently play Pathfinder and Conan d20.)
Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 PM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
I don't really care which one, they all seem like they'd be a lot of fun.

But don't you need, like, graph paper or something? For combat?
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
You can use graph paper and miniatures, if you like. It really just depends on the system you use and whether or not you are playing with a group that is heavy into the "crunch" side of combat.

I have one GM that always uses graph paper to lay out combat - everything is done by the book with no deviations from the rules. I have another that values combat descriptions and roleplaying more, so will often ignore the rules in favor of what is the most dramatic or fun. He doesn't use graph paper.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Contact the nearest mom-and-pop comic shop. They usually have gaming days...you could go and watch and get tips from the other players, get an idea of what yOU might need, before you go spend money on things you don't end up using later.

Last edited by Armaya : 12-08-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Agreed with Armaya. Try to find some players already into D&D or whatever games you're interested in. Usually a good Game Master/Dungeon Master/Storyteller would be willing and eager to teach a new player.

Don't be affraid to ask questions, but also be patient and listen to everyone else. Your mileage may very depending on the group.

I noticed you're a Texan player; there's TONS of table toppers in TX. If you're near D/FW, Austin or any big college town I could probably help you find a good place to start your search.

If you're near any place like a Lone Star Comics or Hastings Book Store, or any major book store for that matter (Half Priced Books included) you can probably find a group easily.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 PM

KreedGhost is a jewel in the community KreedGhost is a jewel in the community
Two things I would suggest, is decide which ADnD system you are looking to learn.

1. You have the original put out by TSR and in my opinion the best version. You have tons and tons of material you can use to make your world amazing and transform a typical day in a characters life into a living hell. You also have the old Demon books that WOC wont put out. (Thats what happens when a Hasbro company takes over an RPG). Downfall for new players you have to get all sorts of different numbered dice.

2. The Newer stuff which is good for those looking to jump right into something and not have alot of dice to worry about, and since it is a WOC system you will find that you can find the books almost anywhere. Barnes and Noble, FYE, AMAZON, or any book store as the above members have mentions.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend you could check out Ebay for some great books, you can also check out Craigslist to see if anyone in your area has any books for sale or trade. Character sheets you can get from anywhere on the web, just make sure you get the ones for the system you are using. WOC website has character sheets for ADnD as well. If you are looking to learn before you buy the books, you can check into anyone of the collages in your area, most places have weekend gaming sessions.

Other than that I agree with Revlazaro, do not be afraid to ask questions I for one will answer any I can and I am sure any other GM/ST/DM will help you out.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
And to go back to your original post:
All you need is paper, dice, and imagination. The Imagination taking precedence over all.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 PM

Hahah, wow, lots of feedback! Well I personally don't know anyone who has ever played DnD or any other similar game before. And the unfortunate thing is I'm 14, so I can't just wander around looking for groups in the nearby area. I could probably get some friends interested, but I'm not sure.

And thanks for all the feedback!

Oh, by the way revlazaro, I live in Southern Texas, near San Antonio.
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Enthusiast

If you are interested in D&D and you can't just wander down to a store, try downloading the PDF of the Pathfinder beta. It's free and is very similiar to D&D. Read through that and see what you think. And if you have questions, just toss 'em our way! As you can see, we're all more than happy to help out where we can.

Pathfinder: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG