11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
UnReal Engine vs Frotebite Engine
Which is better? not what more people us, or which games are better but which engine is better for FPS game or MMO games...

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 12-06-2008, 01:34 AM

starcomusa30273 has much to be proud of
Persionaly I think that the Frostbite Engine is better but the UnReal engine isn't bad!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:23 PM

Shadowfire67 has much to be proud of
They are both good, just depends on the game and what features it will have, but I perfer Frostbite more though. I love the destructable enviroments and the sound.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
I never heard of the Frosbite Engine, so I looked it up on Wikipedia.
I don't have any experience with the later Battlefield games, but I know they're all very similar.
It doesn't seem like there are any special features that come with the engine, other than the destructible terrain.

I do have personal experience with the Unreal Engine (games and UnrealEd), and know that it's used in different kinds of games, easy to use, easy to adapt.
I can't really fairly judge, but for now I'll definitely have to side with UE.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
I can't say really since I've never used the Frobite Engine, but I would imagine that both engines can be used to make different games pretty well. Since Unreal has been used for so many different genres already on different platforms, I would have to imagine that the documentation and support would be better. But again, I don't know very much about the other Engine so I can't really compare them.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
I have always been a large fan of the UE but recently I don't see that it is really innovating just trying to expand it's user base to more and more game genre... I mean 4 years ago nothing in the FPS genre was coming out not using it, and now you see a trend of companies developing their own "in house" engines which makes me wonder if UE is headed out the door for the next great engine?

Old 12-11-2008, 04:08 AM

Robborboy has much to be proud of
The Unreal engine has pop ups like crazy. Enough said.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Pop-ups?
Are you referring to draw distance?
If so, there is a lot of tweaking/optimization you can do in that area.
(Configurable distance fog, zoning, antiportals, and more.)
It depends on size of the area you want the player to see, as well as limited by the performance of the system the game is played on.
I don't recall any noticeable draw distance issues in any of the UE games I played.

Again, I'm not familiar with the Frostbite Engine, so it may very well be better at rendering large areas; I simply don't know.

Still, I wouldn't say "Enough said" just because of one aspect of the engine.
If you're making an indoor game it doesn't even matter.
Like Shadowfire67 said, it depends on the game, not even necessarily the genre (FPS or MMO mentioned in the first post).
Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Founding Member

so there is not a one engine to rule them all? (bad joke)

also it would be interesting to hear about the UE (since no one is super familiar with the FB), does it take full advantage of Dx10 and Dx10.1 or is it starting to get a little dated?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Savant

I don't know the specifics, but yes, UE3 supports DX10.
I'm pretty sure all version 3 subversions still support DX9 as well.
Don't know about 10.1, but 10 isn't even in mainstream use as far as I know.
No idea to what extent it "takes full advantage" of DX10.