11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Left 4 Dead: Gripes & Grumbling
I don't expect this thread to be very long, because I think VALVe have done a fantastic job with this game. I get scared easily, but that's a totally different kettle of fish; if I put that aside, it's a great game.

No, my one beef with L4D, which is something everyone else I've talked to agrees on, is Louis.

Back when VALVe were making Team Fortress 2, they put a crapload of dev power and thought into the silhouettes of the classes. The idea was that each class (and the weapon that a person was wielding) would be distinctly and immediately identifiable from any reasonable distance due to its distinctive silhouette. Arguably, they did a pretty good job in TF2.

So I was surprised, in L4D, to find Louis. Louis is one of the survivors. I sometimes accidentally incap or TK the other survivors because someone moves when I don't expect them to, or because there are lots of Infected around and I misjudge everyone's positions.

But Louis is the only one I ever shoot on instinct because I think HE is one of the horde. I've done this at least six times now and I only got the game a few days ago. I generally use the hunting rifle and always play on Expert (due to a competitive bunch of friends) - this, along with friendly fire, is a bad combination. Teammates die when I snapshot a millimetre too far to the left or right, so Louis is a real problem, because I actually aim for him.

I already know that I'm not the only one who does this, but does anyone else here have the same problem?

If not Louis, feel free to share what bothers you about L4D! And please try to stick to the game, not the players... every game has stupid players, but that's not VALVe's fault. Alternatively, use this thread to talk about what you love about the game, and... um... I'll get one of the mods to change the title.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:51 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Weird...I haven't experienced this problem with Louis. Is there a reason that you think you aim for him?

Honestly...I really can't find anything worth complaining about for L4D. I think it's some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer for awhile...I LOVE Versus mode and I wish I could choose to play as a Zombie fulltime.

I guess that's one gripe...please enable people to play full-time as zombies.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
There's just something about the way he looks that doesn't immediately distinguish him from the other Infected. He's sort of slender, no defining features except his colour, which (in the dark) doesn't make a difference. Would have thought his white shirt would make him stand out, but somehow it doesn't.

I think his build is just similar to the Infected or something; I never make the same mistake with the others.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
I've never had that problems but I do have a couple minor complaints with the game. I don't like that you can only use 2 of the campaign maps in vs mode. Despite everything that the game has going for replayability, only having 2 maps to choose from in vs mode does get old after a while.

I also have had some issues with the way the game picks servers for you to play on. A couple times I've tried to join a game and it tries to put me in a full server. I've also hosted a game a few times where after I launch it picks a really laggy server to play on.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:51 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Either you're racist or the Louis' you've played with are bad at game. Whoever is on point should be crouched at all times until you're ready to move quickly.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 AM

Kromlech can only hope to improve
Game is great fun, been playing it with my clanmates since release.

I think there are, however, a couple of areas where there's room for improvement:

1.) The Dedicated server. It's horrific on so many levels, and poorly documented.
2.) Bugs. They are there, the game crashes occasionally for most people I know.
3.) Versus mode: Why can't we set the difficulty? (I know you can, through a roundabout method, but this should be implemented properly)
4.) Versus mode: Why can't we play all 4 campaigns?
5.) I wish there were more then just 4 campaigns. Fun as they are, we burned through all of them fairly quickly...
6.) Tank bugs. Those of you who have played it enough know what I'm talking about. Tanks are scary and exciting, but not when they fall, climb, fall, climb, fall, climb on the same spot till they're shot dead.
7.) The 'hanging helpless from the edge' crap. Good idea, utter crap implementation. You know what I'm talking about...

Of course, all this is easily made up for by one simple experience:
In versus mode, as a smoker, you drag a survivor into a fire, causing incapacitation followed by death.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 AM

missladypants has much to be proud of
Great game so far . I personally haven't found myself shooting one member more then thee others by accident so far but it is veryyy easy to accidently shoot your teammates while you have infected chargeing at you from all corners lol. I get jumpy in games like this though so its kind of expected from me haha. I am definately looking forward to all the mods and new maps people are going to make for this game.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
biggest problem, not enough friends on Steam.... Seriously everytime I make a new friend on steam its like playing the movies all over, their style changes the AI director enough to make even No mercy fun. The achievements are what are keeping playing

Improvement ideas for DLC or Map Packs
--make more movie maps
--Add linking maps to the exisiting movies....so if you play dead air and you take off in airplane, have a map level link to another movie set (set up which movies you want to do in lobby). For example when you take off in dead air at the end, next map you land at an air base which was over run and once again you need to escape, then the next map can led into blood harvest or death toll starting map, keep the game going longer and adding a multiple number varitations to the 4 movies.
--fix versus so you can play all movies (silly mistake)
--add more achievements and have achievements unlock something or do something (steam badge or something)
--biggest suggestion ADD A FREAKING STORY, why are they infected, is the whole world infected? It doesn't have to be additional gameplay, hell have the achievements unlock a cinematic that explains this stuff, I don't know do 30 ahievements with louis and you get a cut scene on louis background, stuff like that would be easy to add and pretty cheap!!! It will get more people deeper into the game and keep people interested

just a few thoughts

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
biggest problem, not enough friends on Steam...
I can agree with that one. When I try to play alone without any friends I get bored out of my mind. But once you throw in a friend or two I could sit there and play campaign and vs mode for hours.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
If you're on PC, Shadow, I'm pretty pro if you need help.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd