11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: How Do You Define Hardcore and Casual?
How long you play, or how often you play. 17 34.00%
How competitive a player is. 12 24.00%
How much a player focuses on the details of the game. 9 18.00%
Other(Explain in a post!). 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2008, 08:43 PM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
Hardcore gamers and Casual gamers enjoy games in different ways.

Hardcore gamers see games as a challenge that they have to learn to overcome - they are the ones that play at the highest difficulty setting to challenge themselves and see if they can do it.

Casual gamers play a game for the enjoyment of whatever the game is, whether you enjoy creating people and controlling their lives (The Sims) or if you just love getting headshots (pretty much any FPS). It doesn't matter what difficulty you play at, you just enjoy the game for what you're doing, not whether you're good enough to do it or not.

I consider myself a casual gamer. I always play at Easy, because I don't like being outdone by the computer
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-09-2008, 11:44 AM

KreedGhost is a jewel in the community KreedGhost is a jewel in the community
I am a little of both when it comes to games, I like to play casual which is at least once a day, I try to have more fun then anything especially when playing online. Though I am hardcore to the point that no matter what game it is I try to get the acheivements in a game, I try to out do my previous score or better my ranking. I also attempt to keep to the meaning of gaming, to have fun and enjoy it.

I have also seen in many COD4 games hardcore gamers taking it to new levels, trying to make sure they are always on top, talking trash and even be-littling their opponents or those younger than them. Alot of hardcore gamers that I have played with take the game serious and personal as if it means everything to them to be the winner.

To be honest, I think the difference is really in the person, their style, actions and reactions during a game.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Ultimatewpn has much to be proud of
Yarg
Well i picked the first answer How Long you play ect, though i wouldn't say that's all there is to it. My linkshell and I (on FFXI) consider ourselves hardcore mainly due to the fact that we play every class we attempt with skill and finesse but this may also attribute to the fact that we can play upwards of 13 hours in a day. We make it our goal to succeed in challenges that might be otherwise impossible unless the people you brought now exactly what they are doing and we generally don't give up until the deed is done. So we take pride in our ability to play all of our classes skillfully.

Though to be honest we do show contempt for those who don't play their job strongly, but we have a level of acceptance; being usually you don't afk without warning, and don't play your class like a complete idiot and/or know how to gear yourself properly.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatewpn View Post
Well i picked the first answer How Long you play ect
So you just have to keep playing, and if you stop for a second, you get shocked.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

Jaraj is a jewel in the community Jaraj is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Jaraj
I my mind it is simple hardcore gamers the game to accel in the game, where as casual gamers play to fill time in the day.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:39 AM

KingRat has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to KingRat Send a message via AIM to KingRat Send a message via MSN to KingRat Send a message via Yahoo to KingRat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaboonOfTheYard View Post
Hardcore gamers see games as a challenge that they have to learn to overcome - they are the ones that play at the highest difficulty setting to challenge themselves and see if they can do it.

Casual gamers play a game for the enjoyment of whatever the game is, whether you enjoy creating people and controlling their lives (The Sims) or if you just love getting headshots (pretty much any FPS). It doesn't matter what difficulty you play at, you just enjoy the game for what you're doing, not whether you're good enough to do it or not.
I agree with BotY, in that I feel the same way about the definitions of Hardcore and Casual. I, however, see myself as a Hardcore Casual gamer. I love improving my skills at any game, but as much as it thrills me to beat a Rock Band 2 track on Expert, I play the game in the first place because I love the experience. I love to excel at games I love.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Judge-Azrael has much to be proud of
I think the level of gamer that you are is determined by your range of games played and general gaming knowledge. I think someone that only plays WoW or Halo 3 Is Not a hardcore gamer no matter how good they are at their particular game. I would still just consider them casual gamers. Because of how many games they are missing out on.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Hmmm, Hardcore Gamers... cheesy moustache, dodgy name, massive throbbing e-peen that must be fed the souls of the "pwned".

Its a widely varied viewpoint (as we've read so far) as to what constitutes "Hardcore". I mean, as far as I'm concerned 'Hardcore' is a building material used with concrete or to line driveways as a gravel substitute. I.E. its always underfoot.

And that's pretty much how I view 'Hardcore players', always underfoot or in the bloody way.... or at the head of an assault/defence. They'll be the ones shouting orders and throwing tantrums, screaming for healing or shouting at healers for 'sucking balls'. In my experience, a 'Hardcore player' is someone who 9 times out of 10, sucks all the fun, life and soul out of a party.

"Its not about winning or loosing, its about being in the thick of the action... and winning" is a good phrase that's sums them up for me. "When its all going wrong, is someone else's fault. but when we're winning, its all down to me" is another.

Of course, this is just the 'Multi-player' viewpoint. A single player 'Hardcore' gamer can be a little more blurred for me. I mean, is s/he someone who like to play on 'Hard mode'? Are they people who completed a game in under 7 hours? Did they miss the birth of their first-born child to complete C&C Red Alert 2?* Are they the type of person who owns more than 2 systems? 50+ games for each one? Completed the lot on all difficulties? Unlocked all achievements? Saw the hidden content? Complained it wasn't good enough to justify their time? Then completed the expansions?

(*= One of the tutors at my college, when I was attending, actualy did this).

Not that all that is a bad thing... after all, I can appreciate dedication to your craft (Gaming), but their has to be some sort of limit here. I suppose a truly 'Hardcore' gamer is someone who boasts about it to anyone who will listen (And here's where I offend everyone). I don't mind sharing a few stories and 'incidents of note', but I draw the line at outright 'Wang waggling'. I mean, picture the scene.

Its New York city (for some reason), King Kong is wrecking the city, and their is only one way to stop him. I stand their, legs akimbo, defiant in the face of my adversary... and I unzip my trousers. [Camera pulls out to view the city] and suddenly, a shadow slowly starts to blot out the sun. Men, women and children start to look to the skies, see what's coming, and run for cover. A women with a pram picks up her child and abandons the buggy in favour of running unhindered. Some unlucky bugger gets trampled to death by the hordes of people fleeing 'Ground Zero'.
A poster for 'Tank gunz & Bubblegum' adorns a wall (for reasons unknown) as a shrill whistle fills the air. The scene is almost completely is shodows now, and the mighty Kong looks up, too late.

The impact is imense, an the sound of thunder fills the air upon impact. Buildings shatter, the ground shakes and splits, and dust now fills the air for several minutes... and settles. Kong is down, flattened under the weight of the mighty 'King Dong', a phallus of gigantic proportions now occupies three city blocks, with a pair of hairy legs and arms sticking out from underneath it still twitching.
The e-peen has well and truly 'landed'. Men see its magesty and are humbled, women see it and are smitten. Calls of 'Its beutiful', 'Magnificent', 'Can.. can I touch it?' can be heard from the now adoring female fans, as I stand their smoking a cigar saying "Was it good for you?"

The police cordon of the area with police tape saying <<<<<<<<Epic thread - Do Not Cross>>>>>>>>

This was a metaphor for 'Hardcore Gamers'.
Hagan = The gamer.
King Dong = My Mighty E-peen.
King Kong = The pretender to the throne.
New York = Forums.
The Destruction = The laughter/joy generated.
The Adoration = Fame/Rep points.

The cigar however, is just a cigar (Like Sigmund Freud once said).

Thank God I'm not Hardcore, then I'd never get round to writing crap like that. We've seen the usual 'My e-peens bigger than yours' threads, they always end in tears (usually, 'of laughter' can be added to that phrase), and the only thing resolved is that those who are arguing have no social life (and can be easily goaded to make fools of themselves for a cheap laugh).

So, to sum up.
Hardcore players tend to be A) Willing meat shield's & B) Forum Fodder.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Blakkmantis has much to be proud of
For me when I hear the words HARDCORE, and GAMER in the same sentence, someone who lives and dies the game they play comes to mind. Also usually this person to me at least is playing a PVP game, but not always. Frequently you will see these people being the loudest and most brash on their games forums, and chat channels. Doing their best to get as many people as possible to notice them, and trying to make a name for themselves. They usually are obsessed with trying to be the best equiped, and the best they can be at what they do in the game.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
"Its not about winning or loosing, its about being in the thick of the action... and winning" is a good phrase that's sums them up for me. "When its all going wrong, is someone else's fault. but when we're winning, its all down to me" is another.
The latter isn't necessarily hardcore gamer; pretty much everybody has that tendency.
You're still right though, so at least we know that hardcore gamers are humans too.