11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

View Poll Results: How Do You Define Hardcore and Casual?
How long you play, or how often you play. 17 34.00%
How competitive a player is. 12 24.00%
How much a player focuses on the details of the game. 9 18.00%
Other(Explain in a post!). 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2008, 01:36 AM

Calite is a jewel in the community Calite is a jewel in the community
Hardcore/Casual Gaming: How do you define them?
I got the idea for this from this thread. I didn't see any posts like it in this section, and didn't think it'd fit in any specific gaming genre section, so I thought I'd post it.

Anyway, hardcore and casual are very common terms, but they're often defined differently. How do you define it? By how often someone plays? By how much they focus on winning and stats? By how much they pay attention to the details of the game(i.e. exploring every inch of the world, knowing all of the game's story)? Or by your own definitions?

Personally, I define it by how competitive a person gets when playing. I'd be right in the middle of hardcore and casual by that definition, but by the other two I'd be hardcore.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
A few quick thoughts.
First of all, this is one of those grey zone things, not so much black and white.
I'm hardcore to most of my colleagues, casual to people who participate in tournaments.

I consider someone more hardcore if (s)he spends more time playing games than others.
I'm talking about both time per session, and amount of sessions.
This also/especially goes for playing a specific game, either to get really good at it, or just because it's fun.

Competition can certainly be a part of the equation, especially in multiplayer games, but also time trial games, games with highscores.
Many single player games don't allow for competition, but players who play those can still be hardcore.

Focussing on details like stats, how much damage a weapon does, how much health some character has, how long it will take him down, which weapon combined with which tactic may shave off a few seconds, how big the chance is of that happening...
Yes, those are signs of hardcore players.
Then again explorers (do the Bartle Test) have fun looking in every nook and cranny for hidden treasure, and I think casual players may enjoy that as well, at least more than those kinds statistics I mentioned.

In the end you decide if you are a hardcore player.
Of course others will have an opinion of you as well, even if that opinion doesn't seem right to you.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM

dyl has much to be proud of
Competitive
Some people play a ton and form casual guilds. These guilds are not competitive.

Ultimately, it's about being a competitive gamer, whether that means you know everything about crafting, or are the master strategist, you're focused on being pro. Whether or not your power gamer status is accepted by others and they call you hardcore is all relative and some people don't even know what they are talking about.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Syrra is a jewel in the community
I'd have to say that the people I consider as hardcore gamers are the ones that use every trick they can find or figure out to win. Not all hardcore gamers play competitively, some of them play just to find out how best to bend the rules to their advantage and once they completely pwn the game system get bored and move on. A large portion of these do use the tricks to play competitively, however. For example, there are (were?) large pvp muds where you'd find player written help files regarding the best time to do this or that based on ticks. (A measure of time in-game that is approximately a few seconds long.) Since all actions revolved around ticks you could use them to your advantage by starting certain actions right before the tick, such as resting.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
My roommate is what I would think of as the epitome of hardcore gamer. It can be summed up as such. Tim has been playing Banjo & Kazooie Nuts and Bolts lately, and he's trying to completely 1000/1000 achieve it. The screams of obscenities heard coming from his room should be reserved for something much more sinister, but they are in fact directed towards a game geared towards kids. It got so bad at one point that he broke his only controller, lulling him back into WoW momentarily until he fixed it.

A casual gamer...does not give this much of a shit
Old 11-26-2008, 01:19 PM

PapaSmurf124 has much to be proud of
Hardcore is defined more as how ridiculous a gamer is when they play and how competitive they are. Like for me, I only want to be the best and I want to kill as many players as I can when I play. I'm not happy when I'm on the bottom.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
For me there's two things. First of all, it doesn't matter to me. I just play games. I generally play 'hardcore games' but with a casual schedule.

But asides from that, I view it as the time commitment and the priority that you set games in your life. Playing games is about the last real priority for me in a day. I need to make sure that I've got all my work done, my side projects, that I've hung out with friends, etc. Games are what I do at the end of the day for 20-30 minutes to clear my mind.

I myself don't personally care about flipping arbitrary bits in a system and getting a certain level or achievement. To me, those things don't matter in life and in 100 years no one will remember how fast you got to level 80, or how many achievements you got. It feels cool to get those along the way, but its not something that are what make me play games. I play games as a relaxation and to explore other works and appreciate the hard work done by others to create and entertainment medium.

So if getting the high levels, or all the achievements is a high priority for you in life, then I see you as a hardcore gamer. If you play games simply to have fun on occasion and have other larger outlets in life, then I guess you're a casual gamer.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 11-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
I'd go for a part of each, but from what I have experienced, its the "competitive factor" that takes up most of the "hardcore" aspect of gamers

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 11-27-2008, 07:54 PM

VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community
Hardcore is the amount of importance a gamer gives to a game. It's not defined by the number of hours he or she plays each week, or the number of games in their library. It's defined by the amount of observation the user gives to the game. This results in a more competitive gamer.

Here's and example:

You can go out and play a game of paintball where you're just out to have fun. Whether you hit or miss your target, it doesn't really matter. If you go out in a real war, the importance of life comes into play and you'll conserve ammo and take extra time to line up your shots. More observation is given to the things in your environment and you'll give more importance to your skill or marksmanship.

A hardcore gamer will give importance to the number of rounds held in a magazine, the rate of fire for that weapon, it's range and it's power. A hardcore gamer may also doubt the statistics of a certain weapon portrayed in a game, having them actually step back for a moment to test if those statistics are really true. A hardcore gamer's primary objective is to win, or have a tactical advantage or strategy over the enemy. To pray and spray is out of the question. They will already know the outcome of a gun fight, before any bodies hit the floor.

A casual gamer may choose neon orange for their camouflage because it's in your face and it's cool. Or they may choose a certain weapon over the others because it makes a cool sound, or it happens to be big and powerful (giving no importance to mobility). A casual gamer just wants to have fun, that is their primary objective. That doesn't mean winning is out of the question, but it does have less of an importance.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I'll study and analyze a game, rip it apart and put it back together again so that it works for me. I don't like playing campaigns or single player as much as I do multiplayer, simply because it doesn't prove that I'm better or have an advantage over anyone else. There are many games I have played where I have not finished or even started the campaign before heading online, without looking back. While I'm very competitive, I don't give much importance to whether or not my team can or will win, but it does matter to me whether or not I have the highest K/D ratio in that particular game lobby, with my score being a secondary factor. I do not care so much for ranked matches, clan battles, or tournaments, as I feel being too competitive can take away from fun. My ability to perform matters to me, and so does having fun. Maybe I'm not as hardcore as the most hardcore, but definantly more hardcore than casual.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:32 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shademonger View Post
A casual gamer...does not give this much of a shit
Exactly. I am considered a hardcore MMORPG player because although I can't put that much time into it, I don't fuss to much with numerical values of this and that and I will keep playing a gimp class even if I know I can't win, I deeply care about the machinations of my faction in game and my guild. I am highly competitive, but I don't min max. I do think about playing many times during the day though and if I run into another player, I can talk about game stuff for hours.