11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 12-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakker View Post
Hey Mia,

I agree that individual differences play a big role in whether a person will have a negative experience with MMORPGs. This tends to be highlighted in the field of Psychology.

What do you think of the stories I posted in my previous post? Is there a real cause for concern?
lol - it's also interesting to contemplate the fact that some of the 'some people' I mentioned earlier don't view their excessive game-playing as a negative experience.

I just read the stories you posted - and I definitely think that there is cause for concern - for some people. As I stated before - some people can't find balance - in the extreme cases it has led to death more then once if I recall correctly.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Zakker has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
lol - it's also interesting to contemplate the fact that some of the 'some people' I mentioned earlier don't view their excessive game-playing as a negative experience.

I just read the stories you posted - and I definitely think that there is cause for concern - for some people. As I stated before - some people can't find balance - in the extreme cases it has led to death more then once if I recall correctly.
That may be a extreme case. Do you mean that you've had friends that have died due to playing MMORPGs? If so, then this sounds a little unrealistic
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Syrra is a jewel in the community
Swedish Gamer Collapses After Warcraft Binge: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/11/...h-gamer-c.html

The fault for this, I feel, rest at his own feet, and that of his parents. But yes, there are times when people become incapable of realizing that they are doing their self harm through something they enjoy. It is the nature of the feedback loop to drown out the negative stimulus in favor of the positive. In these cases, it is important that they, or someone close to them, breaks the loop and allows them to see the negative consequences of their actions before something irreversible occurs.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast

Jaraj is a jewel in the community Jaraj is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Jaraj
I finished the survey, but most the problem I'm seeing in these other links is common stupidity. Which by no means is limited to gaming.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrra View Post
Swedish Gamer Collapses After Warcraft Binge: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/11/...h-gamer-c.html

The fault for this, I feel, rest at his own feet, and that of his parents. But yes, there are times when people become incapable of realizing that they are doing their self harm through something they enjoy. It is the nature of the feedback loop to drown out the negative stimulus in favor of the positive. In these cases, it is important that they, or someone close to them, breaks the loop and allows them to see the negative consequences of their actions before something irreversible occurs.
Hey, I heard about that story. That was very tragic. Parents can be blamed for such tragedies. However, people know that smoking is bad for you but they still do it. The feedback loop gets broken by Government warnings but people ignore it.

WoW is a special case and so is EQ. These games are something else. What's in these MMOs that make them so fun but also dangerous?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
No - I was saying I had read articles about people dying.

In my personal experience - I've known people who didn't view their excessive gaming as negative; even though it caused problems for them.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrra View Post
24 hours? That guy makes me ashamed of being Swedish, weak.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
24 hours? That guy makes me ashamed of being Swedish, weak.
Don't be ashamed Sensational. Is WoW a big game in Sweden? Is there a big gaming festival in Sweden once a year?

That was a one-off case I hope!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Is WoW a big game in Sweden?
Yeah, there's more Swedish people on the internet than there is in Sweden.
Quote:
Is there a big gaming festival in Sweden once a year?
Yessir, Dreamhack. Twice a year I believe, Summer and Winter DH.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Shayesh has much to be proud of
Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.
-Adolf hilter