11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 11-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
Left 4 Dead game
So the full game launched last night at 9:00 PM PST, I only played through the first movie or whatever you want to call it and I was very impressed. They game is scary but keeps a light sense of humor. A major worry people had about this game after the demo was it would be to short. I still think this is a very real concern since it only took 1.33 hours to finish the first movie it has a huge replay aspect with the director, now that being said the director is only good if you have a online community to support because left 4 dead is pretty boring game with out at least 2 other friends shooting zombies with you. This game will be a huge sucess or epic failure after novality wares off if people can't find friends to play this game with. However if you are a fan of zombie movies than you have to pick this game up, if you clan/guild can schedule a zombie night or something you can pick this game up 6 months without playing and have a blast, but if you are looking for a COD4 time sink I don't think this will be it unless you have a large group of friends or at least 3 others that are as into zombie killing as you(and I) are(am).

All in all the achievements are cool with achievements for both survivors and zombies, unfortunately getting a achievement doesn't really do anything but give you bragging rights...

great thing about Left 4 Dead is that I can see map packs or modded maps being added on to this director creation easily and quickly which spell more revenue for steam and more content for gamers.

Like I said if you like zombie movies/games/books, you will really enjoy this game for multiple hours, if you have a few buddies who like to play as a team and kick some zombie ass then this game can be replayed ALOT and its a must buy, if you are a hardcore FPS COD4 player you might not like it as much because the multiplayer is not really squads taking points, instant respawns, gernade spamming over buildings....but you will still like the adrenile rush you get with you hear the music that signals a horde of zombies be a coming.

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Have you tried the verses mode yet? I tried it today during lunch with 6 other people and it was really good. I can see people playing at least the vs mode for a long time.

I also agree with you that there is plenty of potential for new maps. I have complete confidence in Valve to release maps and other changes to keep the game fresh for people for a long while.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Wait is there no support for custom maps like the rest of Valve's games?

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlazaro View Post
Wait is there no support for custom maps like the rest of Valve's games?
I don't know rev I wouldn't expect valve to remove that.

yes I enjoyed vs mode to my surpise last night with 7 people, there are a few adjustments "I" would have made, for example when tank is out no respawns or limit respawns of other zombie players, also the proximity in which you can respawn next to the survivors is scary close I think they should add a halo of like 15ft - 25ft including LOS not just LOS (line of sight). still lost of fun and I was not expecting it.

Still shocks me how many people don't play this game...

Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
the proximity in which you can respawn next to the survivors is scary close I think they should add a halo of like 15ft - 25ft including LOS not just LOS (line of sight).
I completely agree with you on that one. It's kind of lame how you can stand next to someone in a room and then as soon as they walk through the door spawn so you start out right behind them.

I don't think that there should be limited spawns when the tank is out, but maybe making the respawn time longer for the other zombies so they have to wait a little longer. I was surprised how much fun the vs mode is though even with the few complaints I have.

A quick google search said that there is some support for custom maps with people loading up old counter-strike and tf2 maps to check it out. I don't know how much information has officially been released for custom maps yet. There is also http://l4dmaps.net/ which I'm sure will be worth keeping an eye on.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Founding Member

yeah its fun being on the horde since you usually destro the survivors especially on the final map chapter....its also fun to just tear apart the random zombies while you wait. hehe

Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 AM

changedname has much to be proud of
I loved left for dead even though it took me and 1 other friend to beat in 4- hours its cool lots of enemies onscreen at once loved it
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

kanashi is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to kanashi Send a message via MSN to kanashi Send a message via Yahoo to kanashi
I think that the spawns are normal. If you notice when you play Campaign the Special Infected will spawn behind you anyways.

The Tank may seem strong, but that is only if he can actually make it to you. They spawn special infected along with the Tank so that they can help wear down players.

Oh and do you guys play on PC? I'm guessing you do, but I have been playing on the 360 and haven't had a problem with finding people to play with. Maybe it's not that appealing to the PC gamers.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

I've never had problems finding people to play with, and from what I've seen the game is very popular on PC.

I'm not sure what you mean by the spawns are normal. I haven't noticed them only spawning the special infected behind you. The smokers might be spawned behind you more than other infected but the boomers and hunters seem to spawn all around you.

The tank can be very powerful depending on where he spawns. If he spawns in an open area then he isn't that great since the people can run around and avoid him. If he spawns in a tight space or inside a building, then the survivors are in for some trouble since he can run up to them easier.

What difficulty do you normally play?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 PM

jaod has much to be proud of
This game is on my list. I just need to free up the cash. Maybe Christmas will help me out. The friends I would play with haven't been able to pick it up either, so I haven't felt compelled to get it anyway. Glad to hear that it is good.