11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 PM

SMDoles has much to be proud of
Question Xbox 360 Disc Drive Problems, Any Ideas?
I'm sure this has been covered on this forum before, and I want to apologize now for posting a new thread about this. Normally I would scour the forums looking for a post similar to my problem but I'm just too tired right now and just wanna make a new thread. SO, please forgive me.

Anyways, this is my second 360, this first one got the evil RRoD. Now, my new console is having drive issues. The majority of the time it will read games as DVD's and tell me to insert them into an Xbox 360 console. Other times it will just say "open tray" as if no game was inserted at all.

So, to get to the point, I was just wondering if anyone knew what the cause of this problem was and any tips on how to make it work better. If this involves opening the case and cleaning the laser (which I've been considering) I'm cool with that or any other types of suggestions that are similar.

I'm getting a new one for Christmas from my fiancee anyway, but I just got Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, and next week I'm getting Left 4 Dead so I just want it to be able to hold out until December 25th.

Thanks for your time and any help you give in advance if I forget to thank you personally.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Technically you should use a laser cleaning disk like every 20 or so hours of use. (I think that's what I saw somewhere.) (Easy to track with movies, harder with games.) I probably only clean mine every 6 months or so which is probably closer to every 100 hours, heh.

Have you tried turning it on it's side? I know it may not seem like much but maybe it's not spinning them in a way it can read properly standing up?

I guess try a laser cleaning disk.

If there is an option to wipe the system and reinstall it's operating system that might do it as well if it's a driver issue.

If it were me though, I'd seriously question if I should be getting a third console. I've never in my entire life had any console fail (I've owned several) and I think if I had one that failed twice in a row I'd seriously consider not getting that one again.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 AM

SMDoles has much to be proud of
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I'll be getting another 360 is just because I've already invested so much money into my game and accessories collection not to mention my Xbox Live subscription that I just can't switch to another console. PS3 or Wii are my only options really and I just don't want to switch to either.

But again, thanks for the advice, will try the laser cleaning disc.