11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > RPG/Action/Adventure

Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Ah right, fair enough. I get by with the dismemberments I cause with my trusty rifles (yes, I know how that sounds). You come across anyone with a missile launcher yet? Those are fun when you can get them to fire THROUGH there own groups.
Yeah I really prefer the dismemberments, they're actually "cool", the bloody mess animation just gets silly after a while. I'm not sure if the "I used a energy weapon and his entire body burned and turned to a pile of ash"-animation exists without the bloody mess perk, but if not then that's one badass thing that you're missing out on if you don't grab it.

And yes, I have met a few guys with missile launchers, it actually scared the crap out of me the first time when a random raider out in the wild spawned with one. I didn't think that they would have them unless they were guarding a fort or something. But some random raider just ran up to me and took away half my health bar in one shot, that was pretty crazy and made me press my "O" (Pipboy) button as quickly as I could.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Actually, yes, the pile of ash does happen occasionally without the perk. When it's not all the time it's cool. (But that's the nature of "bloody mess", isn't it?)

Re the crashing issues: a lot of people are having difficulty with crashing, but it definitely depends on which video card you have. I'm now running in windowed mode and can play for hours without problems, but full screen it randomly hard-crashes the video hardware. Other more-demanding games don't have this problem, so I assume there's something funky in the way they're programming the video hardware that only shows up on some series of hardware. If you're not having problems, be happy!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 11-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Guru

Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Dvader83 is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Ah right, fair enough. I get by with the dismemberments I cause with my trusty rifles (yes, I know how that sounds). You come across anyone with a missile launcher yet? Those are fun when you can get them to fire THROUGH there own groups.
Today I ran into a super mutie with a missile launcher. He launched a missile into a car that another super mutie was standing next to.

Have been enjoying the game so far. Plays pretty much like I expected it to.

And yes, I have taken off body parts with just the hunting rifle as well -- before the Bloody Mess perk. Took the head and all four limbs off of a few raiders (and super muties) that way.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
I'm on my second playthrough now, I was kinda rushing through my first one so that I could begin on this one and avoid all the mistakes I did. Oh and, enjoy all the side content that I saved for this one, I don't think I even played through 40% of all the side content on my first one.

Just going to chill and play through a side quest here and there and save the storyline for when I'm done with everything there is to do.

Playing a character based on the Ninja/Paralyzing palm perk now (Although I haven't actually gotten to those perks yet...), while I miss the dismemberments it is still satisfying when you sneak up on a feral ghoul and knock him out with a single unarmed punch.

Besides, playing melee pretty much changes how you approach combat, I never used the sneak feature in my first playthrough, running and gunning was more than enough to take down everything. Now I have to actually get to my enemy without him noticing me (Unless it is one of the simpler enemies, standard super muties, standard feral ghouls etc), and I don't deal as much damage. It seems faster, more intensive, especially against multiple opponents.

But since I do have 10 points in endurance I'm thinking that I should probably pick up a minigun or something, just as insurance. That might just make it to easy though, so I don't know.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM

Gralshnak has much to be proud of
Hmm, I love the storyline for this game and the general gameplay feel i.e the ease of FPS with the bonuses of leveling up. Pluss luckly I haven't had any problems with crashing but the gameplay and the whole UI is alot like Oblivion... thats not a bad thing, still it seems like Bethesda could of put a bit more effort into not making it too much like an Oblivion reskin.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Overall, I liked the game. It lived up to the franchise, it has great atmosphere, and for the most part it's a very solid RPG experience.

Sure, it has it's flaws and things that really should have been done better, but most games do. I can forgive and forget the flaws F3 has, especially since I played it right after Far Cry 2. That was a game with similarly awesome atmosphere, but it managed to get incredibly repetitive and boring in a way that Fallout 3 never did.
'till you run out of cake.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM

dyl has much to be proud of
I'm not going to say what I think about F3 because I'm hardly an RPG fan thus most big-budget RPGs imo are run-of-the-mill and only stand out because they are big budget. What I will say, is that the dialog choices in Fallout 3 cheapened the whole experience. I'm speaking particularly about the responses that could be described as the immature, rude, and silly personality. Its annoying to see that I have about 3 responses to choose from... one might be angry, one might be overly practical and reasonable, and the third is just outright childish. SO ANNOYING. I don't know if this is trying to replicate a part of the spirit of previous fallout titles, but I'm definitely annoyed that beth chose "annoying brat" as one commonly reoccurring option for our dialog choice aka our voice throughout the game. Smelt like cheese.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
If you have a high speech, charisma and take some of the more social perks, you wind up with quite a few dialogue choices. I'm running just such a character and find myself having to scroll down through all my choices on a regular basis. So, perhaps you simply need to put some points towards making your character a bit more social?

Quote:
I'm definitely annoyed that beth chose "annoying brat" as one commonly reoccurring option for our dialog choice aka our voice throughout the game
Why not have that childish and rude response thrown in there with the other responses? It is your choice as to how you want to respond. Just because you are presented with an option does not mean you have to use it. Would you rather have all the responses be reasonable and mature? That certainly cuts out a lot of the variety. As would cutting out the snide, angry and outright rude responses.

I'm going through as "good," at the moment, and have been being perfectly reasonable with everyone I meet. My next go around is going to be as "evil." I plan on using those rude responses a lot, in that case. (She's not going to give a rat's hinny about anything other than what is convenient to her.)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 AM

dyl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by arislyn View Post
Why not have that childish and rude response thrown in there with the other responses? It is your choice as to how you want to respond. Just because you are presented with an option does not mean you have to use it. Would you rather have all the responses be reasonable and mature? That certainly cuts out a lot of the variety. As would cutting out the snide, angry and outright rude responses.
I think it would be a better game if they had a different kind of personality in there. Hell I'd even say it would be better if they cut out the obnoxious kid and filled the slot with a PMS-infused bitch... at least that way its a personality of a bit more depth.

What's really annoying is that if I want to replay the game possessing an evil mind and accrue tons of bad karma, some 12 year old twerp acting out his childish dreams of forgetting everything his parents told him about maturity and manners will be selecting the same god damn dialog choices as my evil overmind.

I haven't played the previous Fallouts and I can only imagine part of the game was selecting off the wall dialog in order to see what kind of lolz you could get out of the NPC response. Maybe this is what Beth couldn't pull off because their writer's dull personalities are inadequate for the task!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gralshnak View Post
...still it seems like Bethesda could of put a bit more effort into not making it too much like an Oblivion reskin.
It doesn't feel at all like that if you didn't play/finish Oblivion.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --