11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!


Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge


Post Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Shademonger's Avatar
Shademonger Shademonger is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 237
Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
Fanboys, don't call yourselves Gamers
If you should be called anything, call yourselves XBoxers, or Nintendoists, or Playstationeers. To me, the term Gamer denotes someone with a passion for all games, regardless of system. Yes, I know I've been guilty of it as a younger, less mature individual, but as I grew up I saw that there is good to be had on all fronts. I feel fanboyism and elitism are just ways people try to justify and feel better about their mommy and daddy only buying them one system, or being too poor to afford them all. But even if you can't afford them, surely you can at least take a look at some games for a system and say "You know, those don't look so bad".

In summation, fanboyism just makes you look like a douche. We all know that all of the systems have their problems. Nintendo has rubbish online support, XBoxes have been known to RRoD, And PS3s are exceptionally pricey with a library of games that is only now starting to brighten up. However, they all have their strengths as well, and as Gamers we should look to those strengths and see the potential in them for good experiences.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Sensational's Avatar
Sensational Sensational is offline
Savant, but with a star!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden.
Posts: 3,186
Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Okey!


.
__________________
100% Killer, 47% Achiever, 40% Explorer, 13% Socializer, 200% Awesome.
"BY THE WAY A THREAD , IT USE TO BE CALLED A SENTENCE ! "
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2008, 09:20 PM
snowkissed's Avatar
snowkissed snowkissed is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Behind you!
Posts: 87
snowkissed is a jewel in the community snowkissed is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Skype™ to snowkissed
So according to your argument, if I dislike the Playstation 3 as a system, I should not be calling myself a gamer.

That is ludicrous.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Scick's Avatar
Scick Scick is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 101
Scick is community member of note
I'd rather say that if you only like one game, or one type of games (fps, mmo's etc) you should be branded a fanboi and not a true gamer.

A true gamer will play most games, on any platform, and be happy with that, but a true gamer will also have games/game types he/she likes better than other, altough what might change with time, so I'd rather say:

A gamer is one who's passionate about games and gaming.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Reusol's Avatar
Reusol Reusol is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK, Hampshire, Portsmouth
Posts: 160
Reusol is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to Reusol Send a message via Skype™ to Reusol
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkissed View Post
So according to your argument, if I dislike the Playstation 3 as a system, I should not be calling myself a gamer.

That is ludicrous.
he's not saying that if you dislike it, then your not a gamer, he's saying those who go for one, and one console only, those who carelessly throw bricks at your window JUST for saying "looks like a good game" on a different system to theirs, those who spite the other console and isagree with everything you say. this is a baisc understanding of a 360 fanboy, also a douche:



also fanboys ar those who support one cause.
__________________


Steam:- Reusol
PSN:- Reusol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Retodon8's Avatar
Retodon8 Retodon8 is offline
Savant
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Netherlands, NH
Posts: 1,323
Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shademonger View Post
If you should be called anything, call yourselves XBoxers, or Nintendoists, or Playstationeers. To me, the term Gamer denotes someone with a passion for all games, regardless of system.
I own an Xbox 360, but it's the first console I actually owned.
Before that I was a PC (DOS and Windows) only gamer.
(Well, Atari before that, plus I played on other people's consoles.)
Even if for argument's sake I only played one of those, I wouldn't call myself a fanboy, an Xboxer/PC'er... or whatever.

Of course "fanboy" has a derogatory meaning, but even if it didn't, I wouldn't call myself it.
If for some reason I don't care about another platform, I don't mind it either, which is what fanboys tend to do.
Platform X is perfect, platform Y sucks.
In reality neither is neither, like you say.
Preaching this anyway makes you a fanboy.
On the other hand it doesn't necessarily make you any less of a gamer either, short-sighted as you may be.

If you play games, no matter the platform, even if it's just one for whatever reason, if you consider yourself a gamer, you're a gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scick View Post
I'd rather say that if you only like one game, or one type of games (fps, mmo's etc) you should be branded a fanboi and not a true gamer.
Continuing what I just said, I disagree.
If you love FPSs, don't care about RTSs, MMOs, RPGs, and so on, you may very well still be a gamer.
These days I play mostly FPS (actually I should stop being so game-lazy and play a lot more).
Back when Sierra still meant something I played their adventures, Lucasarts' adventures, and others.
Adventures are a genre you could argue is as far away from FPS as possible.
In other words, I'm not just saying all the above because I would be a fanboy by those definitions I disagree with.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 AM
xTRUTECHNIQUEx's Avatar
xTRUTECHNIQUEx xTRUTECHNIQUEx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2
xTRUTECHNIQUEx has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scick View Post

A gamer is one who's passionate about games and gaming.
I'd agree with that, doesn't matter how many systems you have or play.

Gamer:
a person who plays games ; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 AM
QforQ's Avatar
QforQ QforQ is offline
GDNA Community Manager
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 889
QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Moved thread to a more appropriate forum, since this isn't directly related to gamerDNA and people doing things with gamerDNA stuff.


Carry on!
__________________
Sam Houston
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Reusol's Avatar
Reusol Reusol is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK, Hampshire, Portsmouth
Posts: 160
Reusol is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to Reusol Send a message via Skype™ to Reusol
Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
Moved thread to a more appropriate forum, since this isn't directly related to gamerDNA and people doing things with gamerDNA stuff.


Carry on!
you didnt post your argument

>.>
<.<
o_o

what you hiding in that bag?
__________________


Steam:- Reusol
PSN:- Reusol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 PM
snowkissed's Avatar
snowkissed snowkissed is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Behind you!
Posts: 87
snowkissed is a jewel in the community snowkissed is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Skype™ to snowkissed
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTRUTECHNIQUEx View Post
Gamer:
a person who plays games ; especially : a person who regularly plays computer or video games
Bingo.

As much as I like to say that I don't consider idiots who just play Halo all of the time gamers, they actually are. I just dislike them and tend to get facetious...
__________________
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off