11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 AM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
correlation != causation. As much as I'd like to hope that gaming alone increases or effects these things, I'm a bit hesitant.

I'd say that higher incomes definitely enable more gaming. Higher income also enables more dating from what I've seen.

Gamers do certainly generally have a different demographic however than non-gamers, but I'm prone to thinking that many of these numbers are inaccurate. The household income calculations are a bit funny, because many teens and college students have effectively zero personal income, but have a lifestyle that is greatly influenced by the income of their families. Yet that would mean that their personal gaming would have zero to do with an increase on income.

I agree that generally gamers are likely more often than not early adopters and people tend to ask them for advice on technology related things. Yet I wonder about who they considered a 'gamer' as most people including my grandmother have owned game systems or thrown a quarter in the arcade at some point in their life. Raw data and a copy of the actual report would be great.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 10-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Enthusiast

Reusol is a jewel in the community
Send a message via MSN to Reusol Send a message via Skype™ to Reusol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaya View Post
Mia you have an excellent social life, I'm not sure what you're talking about. You're always off somewhere having fun.

There's a BIG difference between a quality social life (like you have) and just going on a bunch of dates with losers (which I'm VERY glad you don't do, because you know I'd have to kick the tar out of each and every one of them.)

you know mia then? cool

seriously tho, women here fucking suck. sure some maybe casual gamers, but you never see em or they damn ugleh, like "..wtf..."

Steam:- Reusol
PSN:- Reusol
Old 10-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjallstrom View Post
I'm curious about the household income correlation...

a higher income enables more gaming
Exactly what I was thinking. As far as computers go, they can be used for both work and play, but other consoles for the most part have been purely about entertainment in one form or another since their inception. To boil it down, that makes consoles one of the non-essentials of life, and let's assume for the sake of argument that when they talk about 'gaming households' they're talking mostly about ones that have at least one console other than a PC (this probably isn't so far off the mark; American households have a huge number of consoles on average compared to other countries).

Putting it in perspective, lower-income households would be focused more on essentials - food, bills, education, healthcare, saving (for emergencies or whatever), etc. They'd have less surplus budget to put towards gaming systems of any kind, and if they had PCs, the likelihood is that they'd use them more for work/study than for games (games themselves being yet another non-essential).

Still, a very interesting study, and good to get some hard figures on these things. Thanks for the link, Roxi!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reusol View Post
you know mia then? cool
Yes, Mia is my bestest friend of my entire life (okay we can't count my husband) and has been for years-I've known her LONGER than my husband. And we MET gaming in SWG.

She so close to us she performed our wedding ceremony and our kids call her Auntie Mia.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaya View Post
Yes, Mia is my bestest friend of my entire life (okay we can't count my husband) and has been for years-I've known her LONGER than my husband. And we MET gaming in SWG.

She so close to us she performed our wedding ceremony and our kids call her Auntie Mia.
-sigh- i await the day i meet a girl online and we actually meet up

Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I was just joking around. Armaya is correct - I do have a great social life - I have some really awesome friends (especially Armaya. If only she lived closer; that would be the bomb).

Although I don't really match most of the stuff in that snippet from the article. I do watch a lot of (too much) tv.

rofl - we MET trolling the server forum cuz the server was always busted! Tuesday morning poetry anybody?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
I've had success with online dating services, but I don't think being a gamer helped or hindered.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Scick is community member of note
Interesting read, sure, but let me add a few quotes to spoil the fun (or to add some fun, you decide)

Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything. ~Gregg Easterbrook

98% of all statistics are made up. ~Author Unknown

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. ~Aaron Levenstein

Say you were standing with one foot in the oven and one foot in an ice bucket. According to the percentage people, you should be perfectly comfortable. ~Bobby Bragan, 1963

Statistics can be made to prove anything - even the truth. ~Author Unknown

Statistics are human beings with the tears wiped off. ~Paul Brodeur, Outrageous Misconduct

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable. ~Author Unknown

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math. ~Author Unknown

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts - for support rather than for illumination. ~Andrew Lang

One more fagot of these adamantine bandages is the new science of Statistics. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases. ~Theodor Billroth

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say. ~William W. Watt

Then there is the man who drowned crossing a stream with an average depth of six inches. ~W.I.E. Gates

There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up. ~Rex Stout, Death of a Doxy

I always find that statistics are hard to swallow and impossible to digest. The only one I can ever remember is that if all the people who go to sleep in church were laid end to end they would be a lot more comfortable. ~Mrs. Robert A. Taft

Satan delights equally in statistics and in quoting scripture.... ~H.G. Wells, The Undying Fire

The average human has one breast and one testicle. ~Des McHale

While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will be up to, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. Individuals vary, but percentages remain constant. So says the statistician. ~Arthur Conan Doyle

A statistical analysis, properly conducted, is a delicate dissection of uncertainties, a surgery of suppositions. ~M.J. Moroney

Statistics may be defined as "a body of methods for making wise decisions in the face of uncertainty." ~W.A. Wallis

After all, facts are facts, and although we may quote one to another with a chuckle the words of the Wise Statesman, "Lies - damned lies - and statistics," still there are some easy figures the simplest must understand, and the astutest cannot wriggle out of. ~Leonard Courtney, speech, August 1895, New York, "To My Fellow-Disciples at Saratoga Springs," printed in The National Review (London, 1895) (Thanks, Mark)

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." ~Mark Twain, autobiography, 1904 (but, as yet no actual record of this under Disraeli's authorship)

The theory of probabilities is at bottom nothing but common sense reduced to calculus. ~Laplace, Théorie analytique des probabilités, 1820

I abhor averages. I like the individual case. A man may have six meals one day and none the next, making an average of three meals per day, but that is not a good way to live. ~Louis D. Brandeis

The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic. ~Joe Stalin, comment to Churchill at Potsdam, 1945

I could prove God statistically. Take the human body alone - the chances that all the functions of an individual would just happen is a statistical monstrosity. ~George Gallup
Old 10-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community Shademonger is a cornerstone of the community
73% of Gamers are likely to come up with random percentages to prove a point as opposed to 34% of non-gamers.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

~G.I. Joooooooooe
Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shademonger View Post
73% of Gamers are likely to come up with random percentages to prove a point as opposed to 34% of non-gamers.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

~G.I. Joooooooooe