11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 04-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Need Feedback from OGL players.
Alright, I've tinkered with a concept for an RPG system for a while (actually, I've tinkered with a few and now I'm kinda meshing them to see what happens.)

Right now I'm building something using the OGL/d20 rules as a starting point but drastically changing a few things up. I'm not trying to recreate D&D or anything like that; I'm more or less trying to develop a spin-off system in the vein of games like True20, Mutants & Masterminds etc.

The beginning foundations and concepts of my idea and view can be found in this lengthy blog post I wrote, including a prototype character I threw together just to give the ideas some structure.

So please, read this article at my blog site.

I'd love to hear some feedback and ideas from peeps. Right now my big thing is combat resolution in terms of To-Hit.

By default, if we kept standard OGL/d20 conventions, combat system would look like this:
  • Attackers rolls 1d20+Ability modifier vs Target AC
  • If attack hits AC, Target rolls hit die as described in my blog post.
But as I said: I'm not trying to recreate D&D. I'm just using OGL for an open, base set of rules to draw from.

We could change it up several ways. One way I thought about mixing it up:
  • Turn it into opposed rolls. Attacker rolls 1d20+Appropriate Modifier vs Target rolling 1d20+Appropriate Modifier. A knight attacking someone with a sword, for example, could roll 1d20+STR for his melee attack while the target could roll 1d20+DEX to move out of the way.

Since I'm trying to use a more narrative approach to the mechanics, I think even adding skills to the mix could be fun with this. The target might attempt to actually roll away from the Knight, and can add his Tumble skill bonus if he has one. Meanwhile, to spice up the possibility, the Knight might let loose a bold roar at his opponent to scare him place, adding his Intimidation skill to his attack!
Granted, taking that approach adds a little bit more die rolls to the mix, but it also adds more possibilities for creative skill use, and thus better story telling in my opinion. I'd probably tack on a general rule that for each full round of combat, all characters are only allowed 1 Defensive Skill Action...so if the Target did use Tumble to roll away from the Knight's attack, the Knight's Squire might move in to make an attack on his action. If he does, then the Target would only be able to roll 1d20+Dex as a normal defensive action.

So, yeah, gimme some feedback!

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hexblood is a jewel in the community Hexblood is a jewel in the community
Took a look at it briefly, to tired to look at in to much detail :P

I'll try to remember to look this over again when not quite so tired. >.>
Old 05-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Heh, well since I only heard a couple comments I just proceeded as planned, and in the end started working and pounding out my own kinks and tackling a few things. If you'd rather wait, I'll have a loose draft copy of the rules set online pretty soon.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast

Ah OK.

Gotta admit, you kinda got me thinking on a system of my own. Some of what I read before has kinda inspired me

Just wish I had more time to work on stuff like this LOL. Between work, family, web site activities, and my gaming addiction I have a hard time making room for other stuff LOL
Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Savant

Man even being unemployed atm I'm having a hard time finding time to tackle it lol. But I hear ya. I pretty much have a basic core rules setup; now it's just the nuts and bolts I need to flesh out.

Also, reading over everything, I may have written something a little too broad when it came to skill descriptions. Oh well, it's in draft form atm and I just want to get the skeleton there.

I'm half-assed tempted to eat my words (this is not a re-creation of D&D) and, well, re-create a "Basic Old School Style Fantasy RPG" using my core rules as sort of a guide line and starting point for working out the character creation. I'm talking simple stuff....Warrior, Wizard, Priest and Thief kinda things. Nothing too detailed...just a stand alone adventure using my base rules and some experimental guide lines for character creation, and see how that works, and then see how progression could work, and after that figure out how to open it up more etc.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Not a bad idea, hands on usage might prompt some new ideas as well. Back during the AD&D 2E days I was working on revamping the rules for a "House" version for some friends. I had a brilliant idea for a more skill based system, but when we actually tried it out it ended up being to powerful. The players were overcoming some challenges way to easy and others were to difficult.

Try running a couple different scenarios that would cover the stuff that needs testing. Make the rolls about a dozen times then compare the results on characters that have "basic" average stats, then with characters optimized for their class, then finally with characters with maxed stats. This should give you a good baseline for comparison.

This system helped me out a few times to identify and pinpoint where some problems were.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Savant

Heh, so right now I decided to work on a "Beer and Pretzels" fantasy setting for the rules set. Figured something fun, not so serious, and would be a hoot to pick up for a night here and there as not to drag my players (or anyone willing to run it in a test) down with "Let's playtest something!"

It's outlandish fantasy in reverse....players are Orcs, Orks (there is a difference!), Kobolds, Goblins and Ogres who are fighting to keep the civilized races out of their homelands and underground cities. For even more oddity to make it stand out....I want the GM to actually BE a character. Think the Computer from Paranoia.....only, it's really the omnipotent sinister overlord of the Domain wanting to keep the good guys out.

So, he barks orders to his "champions" (read: the players) and in exchange for their loyal behavior, he rewards them XP and loot for getting the dirty work done (He would do it, but, he's really busy. And evil, and in charge, and an overlord of a dominion shouldn't HAVE to do everything himself, right?)

Figured it'd be a good satirical bit....we always knew "DMs" were evil and against the heroes right? And it'd be funny to have any "table talk" between players and the Game Master being kept in-character. I even thought of explaining the "Domain Master" narrating scenes because, frankly, most of these minions are kind of dense and sometimes don't understand what they're looking at.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

LMAO, that does sound kinda fun :P