11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

ScribbleN is community member of note
Send a message via ICQ to ScribbleN Send a message via AIM to ScribbleN Send a message via MSN to ScribbleN Send a message via Yahoo to ScribbleN Send a message via Skype™ to ScribbleN
Arcadium
I'm feeling nostalgic, so here's a bit of internet history that some of the younger members of this community may actually have not even been alive to see.

Arcadium was a website I loved. It was one of the very first gaming websites focused on creating a community for gamers, and was my first home on teh interwebz when I was an annoying little teenager. gamerDNA is the first gamer community site to come along that's given me the same kind of feeling Arcadium did since it broke my heart and shut down I don't even know how many years ago now.

Nothing's left of it and its high contrast colors and quirky gingerbread-manlike avatars (that I know of) but a little group on MySpace for former members of (ironically) the "Arcadium Refugees" website (which also now shut down) that opened after Arcadium itself shut down. Which makes its members Arcadium Refugee Refugees, I guess!

Mostly I was just wondering if anyone else remembered it and loved it like I did. Nostalgia is best when you can share it!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Wolfrider31 has much to be proud of
I remember Arcadium, it was actually one of my first gaming communities online. I was more well known on Refugees and was sad to see it go. Every know and then I go back to the URL and hope that millisa has decided to put it back up.

I know he was working on another social networking project but I guess with the current flood of social sites there's really not much of a point. It surprises me that Refs didn't spawn a Refugees Refugees as everyone on that site seemed to flock together - especially when Firefly went down and we got that huge influx of new posters.

Oh well, cool to see someone who remembers Nvolve and it's little project.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
It doesn't sound familiar, but Google found me the Refugees MySpace group.
I entered the address of the Refugees site into the Wayback Machine and found these archived pages.
What's the address to the original site?
The Wayback Machine may have something saved.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 PM

crispychipmunk has much to be proud of
The good old days
Arcadium was my first place I was a part of on my interwebs experience I really wish there was some way to get it up and going again
Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM

skibowski has much to be proud of
YEah it was cool can't believe it's been like 12 yrs now.I for some reason thought i would google the arcadium and here I am.With the green light flashing with a msg it was really ahead of it's time.When you had to buy the internet by packages LOL.ANyway now I"m here now so feel free to talk with me
Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Savant

LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness LordXenophon is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to LordXenophon
I remember Arcadium, and there's no way Wayback has any pages from it. Wayback was founded years after Arcadium went offline.

It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
The juice of Coffee quickens the mind.
The desk acquires a stain.
The stain becomes a warning.
It is by the force of will alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 AM

Grazzit has much to be proud of
I actually met the girl I almost married on arcadium, I guess we did live together for 6 years so might as well have. One of my good friends I still talk to regularly I met on arcadium and I'm still pissed off that they took down the site so abruptly without giving me a chance to at least get email addresses from friends, I lost contact with soo many friends. I don't even remember their names now, well except a fewPunx420 YO PUNX EMAIL ME, I miss snogging! Eleven11 is married and unchatty now =P

Man I remember the chat, the horrible profiles, and my god the paedophiles creeping on little girls CREEPY! The gaming site where gaming was rarely if ever discussed, lol. Its funny to me the direction social networking has gone, arcadium was all about meeting new people and myspace/facebook are all about not meeting new people, so weird.

I miss those days, I wonder if its just because we're old now and everything in the past was better then it really was, but no I like to think that as far as my arcadium memories go it really was just that good.

And so concludes my bi annual arcadium google search, wish you all well.