11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Fighting Games

Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 AM

PompousKristina has much to be proud of
Most broken characters in a fighting game to date
What do you think are the most broken and overpowered characters in a fighting game to date? Here's my list of examples.

Soul Calibur 1 Cervantes
Soul Calibur 2(Arcade) Xianghua
Soul Calibur 3(US PS2 version) Xianghua and the Alexandra sisters
Virtua Fighter 2.0 Akira
Dead or Alive 4(Worst DOA ever) Ninja characters and Gen Fu
Street Fighter 4 Sagat
King of Fighters 2002 Athena, Billy, and Choi
King of Fighters 2003 Duo Lon
King of Fighters XI Oswald, Kula, and Gato
Tekken 4 Jin
Tekken 5.0 Devil Jin, Steve, Nina, Bryan, Feng, and Heihachi
Tekken 6(Worst Tekken ever) Bob

Old 08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
Seth in SFIV was a bitch.

Also, the final form of the boss in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is very cheap.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 PM

MrJared has much to be proud of
I don't think you guys totally understand what the term "broken" implies when it comes to fighting games. If a character is broken, they have incredibly unfair advantages over the rest of the cast that makes playing anyone else a lost cause. It sounds like you guys are confusing tiers for truly broken characters.

There will always be tiers in fighting games, but there actually very few instances of characters outright breaking a fighting game without getting too obscure. Off the top of my head, Cinder in Killer Instinct with his incredibly easy, repeatable infinite that ends with a dizzy.. Ivan Ooze in Power Rangers the Fighting Game ... See? We're already very obscure

Kristina, to go through your picks for a moment-

Soul Calibur 1 Cervantes (Overall the game is very well balanced with Maxi on top)
Soul Calibur 2(Arcade) Xianghua (Xianghua is mid-tier, Cervantes and Ivy dominate the cast thanks to the 2G glitch)
Soul Calibur 3(US PS2 version) Xianghua and the Alexandra sisters (Again, fairly well balanced, Arcade version fixes most major issues. PS2 version has it rough with very buggy gameplay)
Virtua Fighter 2.0 Akira (Again, well balanced game.)
Dead or Alive 4(Worst DOA ever) Ninja characters and Gen Fu (Ninja characters dominate thanks to the speed of their jab but, come on, it's DOA )
Street Fighter 4 Sagat (Common misconception. Sagat may be top tier, but aside from Mago in Japan, no one is winning tourneys, or even landing in top 8 with Sagat)
Tekken 4 Jin (Actually, T4 was fairly messed up in general.)
Tekken 5.0 Devil Jin, Steve, Nina, Bryan, Feng, and Heihachi (All these characters are mid-tier minus Bryan Fury and Nina. I should know, I worked on it! Steve Fox is king of the hill here.)
Tekken 6(Worst Tekken ever) Bob (Actually, Tekken 6 is very well balanced, especially with Bloodline Rebellion. Bob is good, but not great.)

I removed the KOF stuff since I don't know it very well

In every fighting game there will always be characters that sport advantages over others. In the end, it mostly comes down to personal skill and how well you know your match-ups.
Last edited by MrJared : 08-11-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
I guess I'll take a whack at this. In X-Men vs. Street Fighter Online if you tag team with Ryu & Bison you automatically win because if you go into hyper mode you can do unlimited specials (Because Bison starts his specials late so when he ends you still have a few seconds to start a new special with Ryu or vice versa) and kill the first opponent then the other opponent flies in after the first dies and gets caught in the attack and dies also for the win.

I think the shortest match I had when I had that duo was about 10 seconds and my opponent crapped his pants. Its really broken and makes playing any other team worthless.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

MechaHandz has much to be proud of
shao kahn from mortal kombat trilogy
Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 AM

DistractXfer has much to be proud of
Ky from Guilty Gears("broken") has priority over many other characters in attacks.
Guile (SF4) I've noticed he also had priority too..but I've managed to control the distance between me and his Heavy kicks.
Pikachu (ssbb) improved since ssbm but playing against a skilled pikachu player can frustrate a person (multi hit smash attacks+Down B)
Old 08-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast

wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community wastelander75 is a paragon of the community
Every damn character in the N64 game Mace: The Dark Ages. If you've never heard of it, congrats, you've managed to save some of your sanity.
The game pretty much sucks as a whole, but the fighting mechs were just inexcusably atrocious. No one character felt "right" or balanced. Although some of the bg music scores were all right.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 AM

Trainer23667 has much to be proud of
In Soul Calibur 2, I think the most broken one was Raphael, I hate him to death, no matter who I play as. He's so annoying and just pisses me off. >_<
As for DOA4, I think the most cheap character is either Gen fu, or Ryu. I don't find the other characters like Kasumi, Ayane, or Hayate (...hmm...maybe Hayate too....) to be cheap though. Though even though shes not a playable charatcer, Alpha-52 is just.....<_< one of the worst boss's in a fighting game ever. Curse you, Team Ninja....

But, sometimes, who ever is playing them, they obviously either did their homework andl earned how to play that character well, or the loser just sucks. : P
As for Street Fighter 4, even capcom recognized this, Sagat and Seth are defnitley broken. =| Gawd, when I played against Sagat online, fighting so many different people who used him, and constantly loosing those matches with him involved, I knew something was up. the power of research! <.< >.>

On another note, in SSBB, Pikachu aint broken D: DONT HATE!
*biased Chu supporter*
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Quote:
Originally Posted by PompousKristina View Post
What do you think are the most broken and overpowered characters in a fighting game to date? Here's my list of examples.

Soul Calibur 1 Cervantes
Soul Calibur 2(Arcade) Xianghua
Soul Calibur 3(US PS2 version) Xianghua and the Alexandra sisters
Virtua Fighter 2.0 Akira
Dead or Alive 4(Worst DOA ever) Ninja characters and Gen Fu
Street Fighter 4 Sagat
King of Fighters 2002 Athena, Billy, and Choi
King of Fighters 2003 Duo Lon
King of Fighters XI Oswald, Kula, and Gato
Tekken 4 Jin
Tekken 5.0 Devil Jin, Steve, Nina, Bryan, Feng, and Heihachi
Tekken 6(Worst Tekken ever) Bob
Now that I take the time to look at this list after reading Jared's post I think Jared was right on the money. What you're naming are 'Tier Fighters'. In fighting games there are characters that are actually supposed to be better than others, but it doesn't mean you would want to play them. Broken in fighting games means that it basically would be pointless to play anybody else (like the character has a instant death move or how I mentioned you get unlimited specials using a time lapse glitch with Ryu & Bison in X-Men Vs. Street Fighter).

Steve actually takes some skills to play and once you master him he's a great character. My brother mastered Steve and I still could beat him with Law so I don't think Steve is broken, he just has some powerhouse moves. Most of the time when you have a character like Steve who has powerhouse moves, he doesn't really have any combos. Like when you look at Law's movelist and Steve you'll see that Law's is way longer. Bryan is a powerhouse as well. Its been awhile, but I think Bryan's movelist is extremely short and he really has only 3 useful moves which all do major damage and aren't that much of a combo (I think 1 or 2 are charge moves which are supposed to do major damage).

I think I see where you're going when you name someone like Steve though. Steve does have a little lower hook combo that can go on forever, but its easily stopped. You must just not know how to stop it. The rest of the fighters on your list for Tekken and for other games aren't broken at all, or even cheap. With Tekken you pretty much named all the powerhouse characters which are mid to top tier fighters. Just because a character has a few strong moves doesn't make them broken. Think of it like this: Imagine Heihachi as a 8 feet tall, steroid filled, muscle bound giant on top of he's the king of the tournament. You'd expect him to do some damage wouldn't you? Being the king of the tournament alone would make him top-tier. And a typical broken character would be someone alot of people play with which leads me to wonder how Heihachi and a few others even made it on the list. Who in their right mind plays with Heihachi? He's what I would call a 'true powerhouse'. His moves pack a punch, but they're all slow which is what a normal powerhouse would be.

A cheap move like a quick jab doesn't make a character broken. Those types of things are easily worked around. Hell, they use to have instant quick jabs in boxing games and games like Mortal Kombat and people didn't name them as broken, its just a cheap move. Mortal Kombat had the leg sweep too and from what I remember people still got their asses handed to them.

And before anyone says it; tiers don't break the game. You don't even have to master low & mid tier characters to beat top-tier ones.

Last edited by Bonemane : 08-21-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:59 AM

Jelvoden has much to be proud of
Archetype:Earth in the PS2 version of Melty Blood: Actress Again.

Pretty much only one character can stand against her, and that's because her heaviest moves are coded to hit him for about 1/4th of their usual damage.