11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 AM

VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community
I think the key idea was choosing pre-built systems from the bigger companies like HP, Acer, or Compaq, and then from there, upgrading them yourself. I wouldn't be using a system builder, nor would I myself be building a system from scratch. The big computer companies only deal in bulk quantities, the savings would be passed on to the consumer. After that, if the consumer wants to put some muscle into their system, not much more is needed. RAM is pretty cheap these days, and so are the power supplies. The main thing they'd be looking at is a video card. Like I said, I paid $1600 for my entire setup, which I consider to be pretty decent. I'm not for system builders, nor am I for pre-built systems. I prefer a hybrid of the two where I'd be doing the upgrades myself. For someone short on time, 30 minutes isn't a lot to ask, considering the end result.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOM-OF-SINS View Post
I think the key idea was choosing pre-built systems from the bigger companies like HP, Acer, or Compaq, and then from there, upgrading them yourself.
I don't recommend that, as you often waste a ton getting such systems up to specs for a gaming system. I'd recommend that if peeps want to dump the money into a system builder they go ahead and know full well what they are paying for what and then get a system that meets their needs. If they want to get a system and then do upgrades, I recommend they look around on places like NewEgg or Tigerdirect or even Ebay and find a "bare bones kit" that has the CPU, MB, Hard drive, Case, Power supply, possibly ram, and then upgrade those with their own graphics, more ram, etc. A bare bones kit would have a much lower markup than a complete system.