11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Looking from some kind of hub...
Here is the nightmare behind our home theater. Heaven help us if we need to swap a cable because there are not enough outlets on the main central thingy. Any help for me?

The Fios box, Wii and Xbox all have to have a cable swapped to use.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 AM

ShrimpBrime is a jewel in the community ShrimpBrime is a jewel in the community
Wow. in major Need of cable management! Any cable mangers for hire?? I say again wow! Some zip ties and orginization might help cure some of the problem. Looks cool though!

-----------------Profession:------------------
----------------HL2DM------------------
Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
The image is broken, but if I'm seeing the thumbnail right, that's pretty bad.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM

Ultimatewpn has much to be proud of
/geek-gasm, just unplug the blue one.... rofl >_>
Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Image doesn't display when I click on it, but wow that looks a lot like the back of my tv. Do you have any extra wires back there that used to be hooked up to something but then you unhooked to replace with a better cable and didnt feel like trying to yank the unhooked cable out? I've got a few of those cables behind my tv too.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
I've seen the back of it, and yea... it's actually a bit worse than the thumbnail lets on.

I've done cable management before behind my desk and racks and its definitely tricky. I don't think that just a hub will clean up the problem.

A few thoughts:
  1. There's likely wires back there that you used to use, but no longer use. Every time I break down my entire setup I find that 30% of the stuff back there isn't plugged in. Maybe mine's worse with spare midi cables and stuff running around, but you'll certainly find some 9V power supplies that went to something that can be removed.
  2. Cable ties are great for things that you know won't move. You can get these little great anchors that they attach to that hold them down to a surface, which you can either stick on, or drill on. I think it's safe to say that your speakers themselves aren't moving much/often/ever, so they could put done like this
  3. Velcro is better for anything that 'might' move, like game systems, etc.
  4. Separate power from unbalanced line-level (and speaker level) cabling if possible. This will fix potential noise issues. I put all my power down the right, and all of the audio down the left. I run data alongside power (ethernet cabling and such). Optical you can run whereever you like, but just don't bend it too sharp.
  5. Whatever you choose for optimization, you must do it to 100% of your cabling. Leaving even 5% of the wires running a mess will ruin the entire illusion of sanity.
  6. When you must cross power and audio, do so at a 90 degree angle. Avoid running power over coils of audio cable, as they act as inducers and will create noise.
  7. Having switching/hub/patchbays is really critical as you're finding. Anything that you have to go behind the system to replug even on occasion is likely in need of some switching unit. Cheap ones can have issues, but there's a lot out there that's overkill.
I'd say to make a trip to Microcenter. They have pretty much everything you'd need to make the cabling situation perfect. There's one on Memorial Drive along the Charles River about 1/2 mile from gamerDNA, and there's plenty of parking there.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 12-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

Jaraj is a jewel in the community Jaraj is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Jaraj
Sorry can't help. I pretty much just design my den around mass connectivy and power flow. i.e. 6 internet ports and 8 wall outlets. Plus that is the only room in my house running off multiple breakers.