11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

Muffbeard has set foot on a distinguished road
Aardwolf was better before it became too popular. When I played there the average base was around 35-50 people. I was able to create the Shadokil guild as Tabor during it's infancy. It was because of our clan there that they made PK so strict and player friendly.
When the clan was formed and new players were introduced into opposition pkill clans we'd institute our "Welcome Wagon" comittee.
Seek them out and pkill them en masse take their best piece of equipment and follow it up with "Welcome to Aardwolf". This led to a public outcry and pkilling to become more regulated there.
My overall preference for MUDs goes towards the RoT code base (RoM derivative) and I have coded several subservers using it. Developing muds takes you back to the old school of gaming which is fun in itself.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 AM

Orobas has much to be proud of
A MUD was my first MMO type game that I played. It was called Lostsouls. Had lost of fun playing that game, was such a challenge because death resulted in you losing two or more levels and your gear sometimes Always got in trouble at school cause Id would play it ninja whenever I got to use computers for in class assignments.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Famous Member

Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence Grimparrot is bathed in a white light of excellence
Still a big fan of 3-kingdoms. Still around at 3k.org last time I checked. Awesome quest system, and I love how, no matter how hard I was tempted, I couldn't just search the net and find solutions to the quests. Hmm...I may go give it a quick look again now I think about it some.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 AM

Rysonue is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Rysonue
I got my start in Northern Crossroads MUD. It's a tiny mud that no one here has prolly ever heard of. I don't play to much anymore, but still log on to work on my avatar (only 86 levels will max XD).
Old 08-28-2007, 07:58 AM

zetathompson has much to be proud of
Valhalla Mud is my all time favorite. Diku, but quests are puzzles not just go get me something wait 10 min go get me something else. And quest rewards tend to be eq
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 AM

Tothaurun has much to be proud of
Anybody remember on some of the old mud's where you could Con die?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

Nicoleet is a cornerstone of the community Nicoleet is a cornerstone of the community Nicoleet is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Nicoleet Send a message via MSN to Nicoleet Send a message via Yahoo to Nicoleet Send a message via Skype™ to Nicoleet
Ancient Anguish was my first MUD and only one I still log into from time to time when the mood hits me.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM

oriflamme has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krend View Post
I used to play Arctic MUD for a long time. Unlike its name suggests, it is Dragonlance based. That was fun back then - its nothing like any MMO nowadays - full pvp, you die and opponent loots your corpse for good There should still be 4-5 cds full of logs files somewhere. But eventually, things deteriorated to the point when playing was more like a full time job - and I quit it for good. We had a great clan my cleric Troggs was proud to be a member of.
Troggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's Dagda - Robb from your old clan!)

I also used to play Arctic - obviously.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Greywalker is a cornerstone of the community Greywalker is a cornerstone of the community
My first MUD was Fierymud(.org), Great game as it was diku based but
when they had a massive hardware failure they used circle instead and changed the style from mana based to old school D%D prayer/spellbook
based. Made the game more tedious and less-progressive. I haven't visited
in months but all the rooms were original and even I was able to contribute a couple zones before I took leave.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 PM

copstookmyboard has much to be proud of
i played Betholia (www.freetextgames.com) for a loooong time, great small community of players (under 500 probably). unfortunantly like so many of the non-graphical rpg's its been pretty dead lately
=(