11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 AM

tiveria has set foot on a distinguished road
I met my husband playing Dragon Realms. We played together for two or three years I think, and eventually met up in real life. Now we've been married for 6.5 years!

I miss it, and remember the days when it was free on AOL and Prodigy. I can't believe that people could kill each other anytime they wanted to, and hardly any griefing went on! Such a different game-world these days.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:45 AM

Rumni has much to be proud of
I got my start in DR as well and enjoyed every minute of it. There was nothing like running through a Gorbesh war camp completely naked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiveria View Post
I can't believe that people could kill each other anytime they wanted to, and hardly any griefing went on! Such a different game-world these days.
I think that's the aspect that I loved most about the game; that you could kill people yet there could be serious consequences, so you had to be careful. Although I spent a good deal of my game time banned for killing people, most of the playerbase was mature enough to not report it if they deserved it .

When all is said and done, I think that was probably the best thing about DR, or any other MUD I played...the better ones tended to attract a more mature player base, which made for a much better game. Too many MMORPG's are more attractive to the uber l33t play0rz who have never even heard of the word.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Keolah has much to be proud of
I played more muds than I care to remember anymore. Ran a few of them too. Of course, the ones of those that still exist, while they were good while I played them, I generally quit for good reason. There were some good times, certainly. I loved PKing on Abattoir and various Godwars muds back in the day. I loved tearing apart the code of Rogue Winds and putting it back together better. But I don't think I've seriously played a mud in years now.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Arbalister has much to be proud of
Discworld MUD! The mud so big its become it's own mudlib....
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Caith has set foot on a distinguished road
GS3!

Best implementation of rogue/thief classes I've ever seen in a MMO... Pickpocketing other players for silver and gems, one shot critical kills from hiding... It just felt so right.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM

Samson has much to be proud of
MUD2
One dragon.
One king.
One very annoying talking sword ...

Welcome to MUDII, the latest incarnation of the world's very first MUD!
Here you'll find an immersive, orginal world of fantasy, battle and exciting gameplay. A MUD, or multi-user dungeon, is a role-playing, text-based, multi-player adventure game. MUDII is set in a world called 'The Land' and is a timeless, fantasy realm of open pastures, vast forests, tormented seas, and deep, subterranean passages.
MUDII has been in continuous development since 1985 making it the longest-running online game in existence. Come battle with goblins, drink from the fountain of knowledge, slumber amongst intoxicating lotus flowers and swim with a mermaid. Travel to the furthest reaches of your imagination ... You haven't lived until you've died in MUDII!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 AM

grendeleppy has much to be proud of
New Moon MUD, I still long on to see how things are going.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 AM

Krend has much to be proud of
I used to play Arctic MUD for a long time. Unlike its name suggests, it is Dragonlance based. That was fun back then - its nothing like any MMO nowadays - full pvp, you die and opponent loots your corpse for good There should still be 4-5 cds full of logs files somewhere. But eventually, things deteriorated to the point when playing was more like a full time job - and I quit it for good. We had a great clan my cleric Troggs was proud to be a member of.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:58 AM

Shan has much to be proud of
I got my start in GS III and cut my teeth in Legends of Futures Past. I miss those days.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 AM

Syrra is a jewel in the community
I'd say the best I'd ever played might be A Tempest Season MUD but it's not around anymore, really. I'd just bought my tavern and had started edging in on Thieves' Guild territory (with the help of their second in command, though he didn't know it yet) when one of the immortals decided to pull the plug in favor of created a "graphical MUD" or something. We had about a half-day's warning. Most of the players (and several Imms) threw up their hands in disgust and left for good. Still no graphical game, though I figured there wouldn't be. I haven't found a half-decent replacement. I admit part of the reason I liked it was because there weren't many established players in the game, so I felt I had a chance to become a legend. At least I could own custom property, most muds won't let you do that now. So, if anyone knows of a newish mud that looks promising, please let me know.

As for other muds, Mozart Mud is good. It has a good newbie system and well detailed areas. If I could find a group to play with, I'd probably start playing again. Aardwolf upsets me because of the "special items". A level one character who does enough code generated "quests" can get a dagger that will kill a level ten character in a couple hits. How is that fair? (At least, that happened to me the last I played, which was a few years ago.) Hmm. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.