11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Syrra is a jewel in the community
PDF Tabletop minis, terrain, and more
So, I've recently gotten into 4th ed. D&D and as so many people have wailed about, it's rather miniature intensive (for an RPG anyway). While I like the tactical aspects of playing on a combat map, I'm not about to buy hundreds of plastic or metal minis to do combat. So, I've turned to paper minis and counters and have been searching around the internet for good ones. What are your favorite publishers and packs of PDF/paper tabletop resources that can be found on the internet? (There's no need to limit this discussion to 4th ed so feel free to talk about your favorite in any genre and system!) If you haven't heard about paper minis yet, is this something you'd be interested in?

Links:
RPGNow (http://www.rpgnow.com/) has a lot of stuff related to independent publishers of tabletop gaming, including sets of paper minis.

Cumberland Games (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/cumberland.htm) has some.. interesting stuff in free and not-free flavors.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
You pretty much slapped out there what I would've posted (RPGNow and S.John Ross's work) but a lot of times, if I'm in dire need but don't feel like the pop up artwork prepping, I'm a fan of the "pog cap" minis and they're easy as hell to make.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 AM

Syrra is a jewel in the community
So, any suggestions for a good cavern set? I'm trying to put together an underground campaign and I don't have any hueg laminated graph paper on hand, so I was looking for a set of tiles or something.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM

vortel64 is a jewel in the community
While not viable for everyone, all of our group members played with lego's at one point or another in our childhood. (Heck, I still dig them out sometimes) Because of the vast wealth of lego building materials, we use them for pc's/npc's (Regular ol' lego man. We have tons of medieval gear like swords spears etc. Just stick a 3/2 peg flat block on their feet for stability if you don't use lego baseplates for your terrain.) For maps, you can either use lego baseplates with lego-built scenery, or use regular old D&D tiles. The 3/2 peg flat brick fits pretty will in the square, and helps keep them stable.

You can order individual weapon/scenery/lego man sets online. They are a bit pricy, but the nice thing is the customability (is that a word?) that you have with them. That, and you can buy what you want, instead of getting a random assortment of miniatures.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:10 PM

KreedGhost is a jewel in the community KreedGhost is a jewel in the community
I have to agree with Vortel, my friend runs miniature D&D campaigns using Legos. They are easy to build what you need for a scenario and they also give you the advantage of breaking them down once you are done with that scene to use for osmething else while the players talk about what to do next of look at a map of something.

Also something I have seen used which is unusual but you can get them easily and free of charge is tops of Pepsi, coke and other soft drinks. Use the different color caps to represent your armies and you are on your way. You could also take some paper from a notebook or from somewhere else and glue it sticking up with the name, weapon, class, level etc on it for easy access. Of just write a number on the top and write the rest in a notebook with all tht information associated with that number.

I am not sure what to tell you is good to use for maps, I have seen people use many of different things to represent them.