11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 10-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
Out of curiosity, are there any female gamers here who had difficulty getting their male significant other interested in video games?

(I'm assuming monogamous hetero for now, but there are obviously other potential combinations that would yield significant other stats.)
Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 PM

DudeDarkness has much to be proud of
My wife of 4 years is a gamer. The games she likes are The Sims, Diner Dash, she LOVES Mario, we really enjoyed playing the x-men and marvel RPG's for the Wii. And we are both pretty excited for the release of DC Universe Online.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:23 AM

Lalethriel has much to be proud of
I was the one who got my husband into Online Games. He already played single-player games before me, of course.

Play games with her that she likes to play. For me, it is Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, WoW, Lotro, and more numerous games. I am partial to MMOs because of the social aspect.

First off, don't be a jerk when playing games. Don't throw your controller, drop cuss-words every 5 seconds, or ignore them when you are playing a game and they are not.

Second. Play a game that she would like. If she doesn't like, let's say, halo, don't force her to play it. Remember, gaming is suppose to be fun here. One recommended game is Rock Band. If she is busy, she might not want to "blow things up" or "counting headshots".

Third. You should try to play the game in co-op. If she is not comfortable playing co-op, you could ask her to be you wing-person, and ask her to spot snipers for you or whatnot until she is comfortable with the games.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalethriel View Post
...or ignore them when you are playing a game and they are not.
I've lost many girlfriends because of that.

Another thing I would add is don't make fun of them when they are terrible at the game. Many nights have also ended in girlfriends being pissed off at me for that reason too.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 AM

Lalethriel has much to be proud of
My husband used to ignore me all the time when he was playing DAoC until I said something. I would be in the same room, beside the chair, watching TV. So to add to that, if they say they are feeling ignore, chances are they are. So you should do something about it if it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo View Post
Another thing I would add is don't make fun of them when they are terrible at the game. Many nights have also ended in girlfriends being pissed off at me for that reason too.
I would agree with that. There were many times when my husband would brag because he was better than me at some game. But I got my revenge. I shine in action multiplayer PvP games. If they are easy-going, joking is alright. However, if they are the over-sensitive type, then I would watch what I would say. As with anything, no one is perfect at everything. You might be surprised at what your girlfriend or wife is good at
Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM

5150Reaper is community member of note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelu View Post
So do any of you gaming couple's have any advice, tips, tricks for me?
Idk about advise man. I got my gf to play Half life dm with me and we both liked it. I also though have 2 gaming comps so it was easier. Playing with her i guess really got her into it. But we wherent doing just gaming either kinda compramised and went out with her to do her stuff too. She got into gw and liked it alot. By then i had gotten bored with gw and she got me back into it .
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 AM

KingRat has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to KingRat Send a message via AIM to KingRat Send a message via MSN to KingRat Send a message via Yahoo to KingRat
My significant other plays video games, though not nearly as much as I do. She tends toward casual games like Tetris, but also enjoys Final Fantasy games, Fable, and Rock Band.

I don't have any trouble getting her to play, I only have trouble getting her to play with me. She is competitive enough to want to be able to win occassionally, and, therefore, usually won't play unless she's the only one home.

I can get her to try new games from time to time, by playing the games in front of her and enjoying them out loud. It worked for Rock Band, and now she can survive a couple of tracks on Hard when she isn't too distracted.

I just wish I could get her as interested as I am. The day she signs up for her own LIVE account is the day I propose.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:18 AM

cluskevird has much to be proud of
After falling out of gaming, I was never big into it anymore until the wife got me to play a little on the original Xbox with Halo. Turns out I became a bigger gamer than my wife - though I play so much differently than she does. She wants to play through to the end whereas I like to dawdle in a game for a while and then put it up and play a little more the next day.

She's the one that plays the COD titles and the Halos while I'm playing RPGs.

Still, the best thing to do is find a game that you both like AND can play co-op so you can help each other out. Because if you play a game where you have to compete against one another then if one is far better - then the game isn't going to last long.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:46 AM

Will-Wrath has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Will-Wrath Send a message via Yahoo to Will-Wrath
I really only play the games I play right now simply b/c I can share them and my experiences in the game with my g.f. who by the way plays the same games more or less. Only downside is having one laptop between the two of us and sometimes one of us feels a little left out when the other is online. But, all in all anything a couple can share with each other, doesnt matter which game it is is good for any relationship.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 AM

Narilka has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjallstrom View Post
Out of curiosity, are there any female gamers here who had difficulty getting their male significant other interested in video games?

(I'm assuming monogamous hetero for now, but there are obviously other potential combinations that would yield significant other stats.)
Me! Well, sort of. When we first started getting together, I asked if he had a gamertag and gave him mine. It took him a month or two to add me as a friend!

He games, but not nearly as much as me. He only started playing the 360 with Gears of War because that's what I was playing at the time. He plays more now, but I'm definitely the one that dominates in the gaming department. And not just the casual games! He usually only plays if we're doing co-op in a shooter, though he did play The Force Unleashed by himself. I can really only get him to play if we're split-screening though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelu View Post
So do any of you gaming couple's have any advice, tips, tricks for me?
If you want to try to get your girlfriend in shooters, try Crackdown. While it's not an FPS, it does involve shooting, and auto-aim is a lot of fun. (Also, the collecting things like orbs and agility balls might appeal more to the casual gaming side.) I haven't played Halo much (I didn't get out of the training room of the original, and I'm only on the second chapter of the third one), but I don't remember it having a compelling story. You might try something like Gears of War 2 (though she probably won't get the story without having played the first one), or something similar, with a story that's an integral part of the game. I've noticed that I actually pay attention to the story -- my significant other, on the other hand, is like "what, they said something there? More shooting, less talk!".

And like other people have suggested, maybe start with things in the more casual genre.